NBC's Community

Thanks, Willie. I enjoyed that. Harmon and Schrab are immensely talented and even though I don't know them personally, I used to follow Channel 101, and I get a little thrill from seeing them succeed. "Twigger's Holiday" is an amazing child's-POV Web series with remarkable heart, and "Robot [Bastich]" is a triumph of cardboard engineering. Harmon's stuff was pretty raw and tended toward crassness, but it was always entertaining. I hope he gets better soon.

Oh Donald killed it with that licking scene :lol.

And despite Harmon's absence, few days back just seeing the photo of the cast sitting with the writers discussing season 4 opening episode got me all excited about the show again.

Without Harmon, Community is sure to take a dip in quality / strangeness. The one saving grace is that the new showrunners worked on Happy Endings, another show with a slightly left of center vibe. So hopefully they can salvage something out of this season.

I am Dan Harmon, creator of Community, writer of Monster House, and Executive Producer of the upcoming Charlie Kaufman Stop Motion Animated feature Anomalisa, ask me anything! : IAmA
Dan Harmon is doing a Ask Me Anything session on Reddit. Plenty of good conversation through the posted Q and A. I have shared couple of them.

AhhBisto:
The rumour mill says that Chevy Chase walked off set at the end of filming for Season 3 because he refused to do something. What did he refuse to do?

danharmon:
He refused to do the "tag" for the Digital Estate Planning episode (the 8 bit video game episode). In the scripted tag, Abed comes to Pierce with the thumb drive he took, and says "Pierce, I've been able to adjust some of the code for your Dad's video game and I've made a version I think you might like better." He puts the thumb drive into a laptop in front of Pierce. We cut to the laptop screen, where we see Pierce's avatar on a front lawn with the giant floating head of Cornelius. Every time Pierce presses the space bar, his avatar throws a baseball to his father's head, which gives him a thousand points and a "great job, son!" Pierce presses the space bar a few times, pauses, then leans over and embraces Abed and we fade to black. When Adam Countee pitched that tag, tears instantly rolled down my cheeks, and in point of fact, my eyes are getting watery describing it to you. It was the most important part of the episode and possibly one of the most important moments of the season. I was very upset to hear that it wasn't shot because someone didn't feel like shooting it, especially since it was literally the last day of shooting, which meant we'd never be able to pick it up. I regret nothing about how upset I got. My job was to care about my show.

Timocharis:
Why did he refuse to do it?

danharmon:
The answer I heard from the people on set was that he didn't think it was funny. After he realized how upset I was about it, he said things in voicemails like "there was no script" (untrue) and "I have a weird relationship with the name Cornelius" (dumb, he had no dialogue in the tag). The real answer, I believe, is that he wanted to go home because he was tired. He probably didn't realize he was permanently damaging the episode by doing so because he often walked off set and then we would just pick up his shots later in the week. But this was the final shot of the season. The sets came down after he walked away. So this was the one time in three years that his personality caused unfixable damage to something I really held valuable.

fiveforty:
1. Did you write the finale of S3 as if it could have been a series finale? The last 5minutes, the wrap-up, is perfect.

2. At the end of the S3 finale, Abed goes into his mini-Dreamatorium. To me this symbolises that everything we see from now on isn't the real timeline, but that S4 and onward is all happening within that Dreamatorium. Was this intentional?

danharmon:
1. yes

2. it symbolizes me leaving the show. I didn't know for sure I was going to but I had a feeling I might have to.

I had no idea Chevy was so hard to work with, he always seemed to be a cool guy but sounds like he tends to walk off set a lot.

Dan Harmon genuinely seems like a dick in a lot of aspects of how he handled the show, but you can't fault him for caring about making a great show like he did.

I had no idea Chevy was so hard to work with, he always seemed to be a cool guy but sounds like he tends to walk off set a lot.

lol, one of the most difficult in Hollywood history. Check out some of the SNL books for some great stories.

Another example of the sheer brilliance of Community and its creators is that back in April 2012 it got nominated for a Hugo Award (episode 'Remedial Chaos Theory' for Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form), despite it being a comedy and not a regular sci-fi show.

The Hugo Awards : 2012 Hugo Awards
Winners were announced last night and though Community didn't win, it's still a great recognition for the show being nominated for a Hugo that too against three Doctor Who episodes, one of which was written by Neil Gaiman who won the award. He also gave a shout out to the Community creators.

Considering he didn't even respect the show and the sitcom medium he was working for, I am glad he is leaving.

Once his character is written off mid season, hopefully the dynamic of the group can still retain its charm and balance.

That sucks. I'm sorry, but he was one of the funniest members of the show. I'm really angry about it.

But, at the same time, Chevy kind of seems like a total ass hat so maybe its for the better.

I find it hilarious that Chase left and basically said that sitcoms are the lowest form of comedy...yet he is in a an Old Navy commercial doing a parody of Christmas Vacation.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back