HP-44 Bus Type Computer Card Edge Connector for Luke ESB lightsaber?

Sym-Cha

Master Member
Hello there,

Does this piece of a HP 144 computer component :

HP144DRIVEB.jpg~original

contain this part :

HP-44BusTypeComputerCardEdgeConnect.jpg~original

HP-44 Bus Type Computer Card Edge Connector (Picture courtesy Parts of Star Wars website)

that, after cutting of 13 gold connectors, goes into the clamp of Luke's ESB lightsaber? :confused

-Chaim

Last edited:
I've been tracking this small piece down on ebay etcetera but to no avail ... yet.

So if any one of you can shed some light on this then perhaps I can finally get
my hands on a real vintage piece to finish my all real parts ESB lightsaber-project
before the celebrations begin :love

-Chaim

That looks like a more modern circuit board. It has thinner lines than the correct type. I found mine at some old electronics stores.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for you reply. I hoped that it would be perhaps inside here (see arrow in picture) :

HP144DRIVEBX.jpg~original

since this is an original HP 144 device. However other then your picture of the POSW I have
no idea what it looks like when attached to other computer components.

-Chaim

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for you reply. I hoped that it would be perhaps inside here (see arrow in picture) :

Nope, it would be the edge of the circuit board as seen on the right in the picture (but those stripes are a smaller size).

HP44 was a label I found when researching, but I'm not sure that's an accurate term. The board definitely doesn't need to be made by HP.

I've found several multibus boards over the years that were identical, or very close, and not made by HP (don't have any currently unfortunately).

Thanks very much gentleman,

It seems to be a special type since most boards are green and it's also hard to find any with 13 gold connectors that end up straight into silver contacts.

Dcarty where did you find yours? Or should I ask what type of early computers do I have to look for?

Anyone else has a good idea where to locate this part :confused

I so would like to finish my real parts ESB lightsaber and yes that includes the vintage brown grip material, yet to be made black, and an extra authentic graflex red button + Kobold Flashgun D-Ring to celebrate 30 years of TESB!

-Chaim

Last edited:
Every one of the multibus cards I've found has been at a local OEM parts store--a kind of junkyard for scrap tech-related stuff (I've also found a few other prop related goodies there over the years).

I took the Blast-Tech replica with me and sifted through tons of stuff until I chanced upon one that matched it and the "Us" magazine cover. It took several tries and it's been pretty random trying to come across any others. I'm still searching for one with the thinner silver strips to match the "Ranch" saber (assuming they aren't one and the same).

Here's a scan of the one I found last year:

multibus_01s.jpg

The flip side on this one doesn't have the same accurate pattern--but for all we know neither does the one at LucasFilm--and anyway it's the top part that counts. But for thoroughness' sake here's the reverse side:

multibus_02s.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that looks rather close indeed dcarty. I want to find the ones with the thinner silver lines as well. A scrapyard for old PC components would be the place to look. Thanks I'll go through the yellow pages see what I can find.

Anyone got any other suggestions where to look?

-Chaim

There are some prototyping boards that have the thin lines. Here's one I found:
TwinIndustries1.jpg

TwinIndustries2.jpg

You can see how the lighting can really effect the color of the board itself, and the extra holes will show when placed in the Graflex clamp.

I've got a genuine one here too but I'm not happy with it. I do like the true gold color but the silver lines are much too thick.
myconnector.jpg

Here's the original ranch/dagobah graflex, assuming this matches/is/was the hero version.
Photo119copy.jpg

The Vader saber seems to possess a bit of the same part.
edgebarbican.jpg

04-24-05_019.jpg

Curious how the first silver line IS much thicker. BUT the transition from silver to gold is very squarely shaped.

Anyhow, I always wanted to find the perfect part for my ESB Graflex. A member here offered to etch some boards a while back but I have lost the info, and have been distracted by other projects.

Perhaps its time for a better replica?:thumbsup

Incredible pictures Paul ... very helpful indeed. I just send a question to someone who owns a computer recycling business cq. scrapyard here in the Netherlands perhaps he can tell where to look for this or ... he might even have plenty of pieces lying around. :confused

Are there any more pictures or close-ups of the Luke's ESB lightsaber available to determine what was in the clamp?

-Chaim

I don't have all my reference here but there are 2 photos of the hero saber, the best being the one from the US magazine. The other being a promo or lobby card b&w on the Bespin interior. Its the hero, with the 2 red buttons... was it ever conclusively proven its rivets on the grips? That's it, I've seen nothing else.

Neither of these photos prove what we are seeing is the same edge connector that I already posted, however. Its seems likely it would have been the same part; consistent with the Graflex that is left, and the Barbican Vader. I'm guessing the ROTJ V2 would match. MR used the same part in their replica, and I'm hoping that choice was based on reference material.

I never finished my all original parts ESB saber because of this part. Ridiculous sure, but hey this year might be it. I did kill some time cutting up Gino's grips the other night.

EDIT:
Grabbed these photos from others over the years. If you need credit, or want them taken down just let me know.

Last edited:
Shane was so kind to remind me via fb that I never put up any pictures of the vintage board I finally aqcuired ... due to later discoveries it's not quite screen accurate yet I do like it's a vintage board with thin silver lines upon golden fingers so here's the beauty shot I made ... enjoy :

Chaïm

Last edited:
Curious how the first silver line IS much thicker. BUT the transition from silver to gold is very squarely shaped.

That thicker trace would correspond to either the ground pin or power pin for the board. It would be made thicker because it needs to carry more current than any other the other (signal) pins.

I have been in this trail, too. Having been in electronics since I was 12, I can literally remember the stuff in use back then. I have some ideas where they may have obtained the connector edge material, but I would need to get access to look inside some fairly obscure and now rare equipment to confirm or deny my suspicions.

More importantly, I have yet to discover the source/origin of the famous photo everyone points to. What is that a photo of? What make and model unit did that card come from? Who took the picture, even? Seems like backtracking that photo would be the logical starting point for any serious search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know where the "HP 44 Bus" thing comes from, I've done tons of research into old HP computers (and actually use and work on a number at work!). There doesn't seem to be any such thing, it's probably an amalgam of info someone gleaned from the variety of info written on some old HP board.

The .156" spacing on the edge connectors was common then, many many of the old HP boards (and lots of other stuff) had them. I have a bunch of HP boards at home, pretty much all with rounded leads. That seems to have been the HP standard, though some are square. I'm not at all convinced it comes from an HP. Those things were PRICEY in the early/mid 70's, they were basically brand new super computers.

BTW, lots of older video games used this edge connector style as well, and it's part of the JAMMA standard.

I recently scored a handful of PCB strips-- I don't know what they came off of, or how modern vs. vintage they are... but they have the right look and are the correct size... I'll probably start selling them in the junkyard soon since I don't need this much.

pcbs.JPG

The ones at 11 and 12 on the far left seem the best ... all that's needed is some silver solder for the smaller fingers ... great find SethS :)

Chaïm

I don't know where the "HP 44 Bus" thing comes from, I've done tons of research into old HP computers (and actually use and work on a number at work!). There doesn't seem to be any such thing...

I agree wholeheartedly. Clearly, whatever they salvaged that edge connector from had to be, at a minimum:

a) Initially available (in some quantity > 1 strip) to the prop makers at the time and place they were building, and

b) of limited value at the time it was cannibalized.

I am actually a bit surprised that the Exactra fit that criteria. But I suppose that can be explained by a large production coupled with low reliability. Once the manufacturer ran out of replacement parts (and I have seen evidence of repairs in the Exactra's I have examined), those calculators may have started turning into relatively expensive paperweights. They would only have needed a couple laying around to plausibly get started.

When the ESB started filming, broken Exactra's may no longer have been readily available, and so they had to look around for something else...

And someone came up with a circuit board edge connector.

It seems that the universe of possible candidates for the edge connector we are looking for is disconcertingly large and poorly documented.

On the one hand, they may have only needed ONE card - if it was a large one with many pins. It could even have been from something expensive that had failed unrepairable.

On the other hand, it could have been something as obscure and inexpensive as a prototyping board. They did build electronic blinky things for various props. Else they contracted that work out. Either way, there would have been and electronic junk box laying around somewhere within easy reach.

The relative lack of progress from a community that has learned so much else does seem to argue that we are searching for a needle in a haystack that has been compressed into mulch and lies buried under 6 feet of urban waste.

Unless someone gets lucky, I fear that the most stubborn amongst us may have to satisfy themselves with something from the late 60's - early 70's that at least looks plausible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I recently scored a handful of PCB strips-- I don't know what they came off of, or how modern vs. vintage they are... but they have the right look and are the correct size... I'll probably start selling them in the junkyard soon since I don't need this much.

View attachment 733122

I've yet to try sanding/scraping/brushing any of these boards to see if tarnish has changed anything. But yeah-- those top strips are the only ones sans holes that could pass for the real thing almost. The rest will be great for customs!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back