MR TOS Enterprise - new pics

WOW, i just jumped back into this thread on this page, saw the grid lines and almost went and canceled my order.

Thank god its just a pre-pro, but still I would not have released that fulgy saucer for public scrutiny. You gotta think these pictures are going to get around without the benefit of barry to explain the situation.

The nacelles look pretty...., but I only want a HINT of gridlines, BARELY, just BARRRRELY NOTICEABLE.

Anything more wont do for me.

edit: OH and I totally agree on the white LED'S looking to blue. It just doesnt look right on the refit or this ship. Please change them out.

I think white LEDs pretty much are going to look like that. Incandescent bulbs Im sure were used on the original. I am not aware of LEDs that can look like incandescent bulbs light does. And I sure dont want incandescents inside because they will burn out way before LEDs would.
It looks good in person, the lighting is very nice.

Argh.
The grid should not be visible on this size model.

On the 11 foot model they were pencil lines.

I wold guess this goes back to those at CBS licensing who are approving this model. Since Paula B. has already approvbed art in various publications with the visible grid, she would likely be "for" it. Since she is over John V-C, he would also likely have to go in this direction for the approval.

I have been through many, many pictures of the shooting models of the Enterprise and have never seen the little dribble off of the bottom of the hull. This includes pictures that Paramount no longer has (but did, 15-20 years ago) of it at the auto body shop where it was built by Mr. Datin, et. al.

Sorry, I am unconvinced and won't buy this with ANY grid lines. I would also very happily cut off the little "casting error" on the saucer bottom, if I did get it.

As for the lights, yeah a little warmth would help, though the placement looks great. This is such a beautiful rendition of the ship, I truly hope they don't screw it up.

<div class='quotetop'>(Vaderman @ Jul 21 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]1285533[/snapback]</div>
Argh.

I wold guess this goes back to those at CBS licensing who are approving this model. Since Paula B. has already approvbed art in various publications with the visible grid, she would likely be "for" it. Since she is over John V-C, he would also likely have to go in this direction for the approval.

I have been through many, many pictures of the shooting models of the Enterprise and have never seen the little dribble off of the bottom of the hull. This includes pictures that Paramount no longer has (but did, 15-20 years ago) of it at the auto body shop where it was built by Mr. Datin, et. al.

Sorry, I am unconvinced and won't buy this with ANY grid lines. I would also very happily cut off the little "casting error" on the saucer bottom, if I did get it.

As for the lights, yeah a little warmth would help, though the placement looks great. This is such a beautiful rendition of the ship, I truly hope they don't screw it up.
[/b]

Go back a few posts, there is some very good news that you missed...... The grid lines will be LIGHTLY penciled in on the shipping product. This one was only to show off the lighting at the San Diego Comicon.

<div class='quotetop'>(Vaderman @ Jul 21 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]1285533[/snapback]</div>
Argh.

[/b]

Barry confirmed that the scribed grid will not appear on the production model in post #55 above. Instead, it seems he is saying that a grid effect will be achieved with pencil. Did I read that right, Barry? Lighter is better, but the upper saucer on mine may need some buffing. :D

While I also think that the "emitter" looks a little goofy, I have previously seen the pics at Cloudster that seem to show it rather conclusively. In theory, if it never showed up on screen because of the matte process and the resolution of television (or, lack of resolution), it isn't in our collective ideal of the ship. There are other details that weren't evident from watching a television screen. However, it is odd that so many production stills, etc. don't really seem to show the emitter. Photo retouching? That seems dubious.

If it makes the production piece, I'm okay with it. This one is too close to call from the evidence I've seen.

Look at all those crazy markings on the bottom of the secondary hull.
We never saw them on TV. I never knew they were there until I saw pics of the studio model.

It such a small thing. I saw the model in person, it is really not worth getting too bent about.

CD,

You're absolutely right. There's so much detail that wasn't revealed to most until after the show had been cancelled. Still more that has only come out in the last couple of decades. I think this replica is shaping up nicely, all around. And, I'm not just saying that because I already put my money where my mouth (keyboard?) is. I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year. :D

I'd hope they are going off of more than one single image to establish that "emitter" on the saucer dome... cause frankly, in the "Last Battlefield" closeup, it looks more like a red "dot" on the little nipple that's at the bottom of the dome.

I do not like that "emitter", it looks bad. If it is to be there, then it should be much smaller than what they have now. It should be "Barely Noticeable". I believe it should be removed.

The grid lines should not be there either. They were barely seen on the 11 footer. Why would you put them on a the 3 ft. model. MR is trying to make a three foot model of the 11 foot model, but some things on the 11 foot cannot be represented CORRECTLY on a 3 foot model.

Master Replicas loves to go the extra mile on everything they make, and I commend them for there effort. But they always seem to stumble and fall at that last foot, and pi$$ everybody off. I hope that before the last foot this time (and on the FALCON as well ) they see that pot hole and avoid it completely.

I have this model on order, and I do not want to cancel it because of last minute screw ups and bad decisions. :( :cry :angry

James

Yeah the little penis thing looks strange, can we still refer to the enterprise as a HER though? Maybe she is a tranny, but finally coming out of the closet...

lol

I can live with that though, Im sure someone will come alone soon enough with a replacement piece.

Still the scribe lines make me winch, in any form.

The grid pattern is NOT recessed lines as shown on the stand at Comic Con. It is drawn on the model at the factory in pencil, and looks very subtle and similar to the effect on the 11 foot miniature.

ENTERPRISEGRIDPATTERN.jpg

The above pic shows how it looks. The one above still has the old gray semi-circular weathered panel which has now been changed to the correct tan color.

Hope that puts some folks minds at rest.

Barry

P.S. And for the purists pouring over the pics, the green window on the engineering hull is no longer lit green it is dark.

Excellent. Can't wait.

Hopefully this model will suppress the need to build one of the 66" inch ones. or worse yet a full on 11 footer.

But wouldn't building an 11 footer be cool. Hmmmm??.?

<div class='quotetop'>(micdavis @ Jul 22 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]1285785[/snapback]</div>
Excellent. Can't wait.

Hopefully this model will suppress the need to build one of the 66" inch ones. or worse yet a full on 11 footer.

But wouldn't building an 11 footer be cool. Hmmmm??.?
[/b]

I'm for building her full scale and functional.

But I guess we are a few years way from that kind of thing.

That's a beauty. Frankly, with engine effects like that, and lit, I don't care if it has grid lines or not. Same with that little phaser thingy. Not enough to make or break this sale. Iit was all contingent on the engine lighting effect....which is superb.. My hat is off to all involved in the design. I would like less an orange cast, but with knowledge that the LEDs will be smaller I'm sold. Also I think there may be something to the solution some have offered on making the blue tint of the LED's more incandescent looking. If they can work something out at MR, great, but it's not a dealbreaker. It's a true work of art. Well done.

Anyone know if it will be removable from the stand?

Could a power cord be plugged into the model allowing alternate display possibilities or handling while powered up?

Hey what's up with this... the model displayed at Comic Con has the "small" red-green topside saucer lights, mounted on the SIDE of the saucer instead.

See, no light on Top...

DSC03817.jpg

But here it is on the side.

DSC04283-mre_edgelite.jpg

Should look like this

dy-1701top.jpg

BTW note how those red/green MAIN lights on top of the saucer, have a tall capsule shape. On the MR they appear to be just hemispheres.

Here's that "Let that be your last battlefield" shot I was talking about previously... note red dot.

LTBYLB-credseq05.jpg

Great screen shots. I hope MR is paying attention to all these little details. This is a very expensive model and I am sure everyone would like it to be as accurate as possible. Keep up the good work Phase.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back