Rorschach's Grappling Gun that really fires! Update PG 2!

Bilious

My first post outside of the welcome thread! I really need to go take pictures of my old work, I've been making toy props since I was about nine or so with my dad every year. When this past Halloween rolled around and I said "I want to be Rorschach, we gotta build this grappling gun" Dad turns to me with a serious frown and announces it's so disappointing if it doesn't really fire.

And so I've had quite the engineering challenge and learning experience building this thing!

I'm currently in process of cold-casting replicas of my original prototype here, and my goodness has this been model making 401! I've really fallen in love with Smooth On products. Does anyone else here use them? What sort of ratios do you guys recommend for metallic powders? I've been experimenting but I'd be curious what you guys advise.

Here's photos of my prototype with the aluminum grapple blades, I hope you guys dig!

GGun1.jpg

GGun2.jpg

The blades are spring loaded and so when you pull the safety ring back they pop outward. You can see a test video of firing the prototype here: YouTube - Rorschach Grappling Gun Prop

The new cast grapple blades are so much lighter, I can't wait to get it reassembled to see how much distance it launches now!

It's nice to meet you all! I hope to learn much during my stay. :D

Last edited:
Re: Rorschach's Grappling Gun that really fires!

Thanks man! I'm very proud! Before this, my props consisted mostly of swords and knives, this is my first gun!

For those wondering, the prototype shown is made of wood and several different plastics, aluminum and a lot of love and over 60 hours of work.

For those Watchmen fans out there, a garbage can lid was used in the creation of this. How? I will not say. But it makes me think of ol' Walter so I figured I'd share that fun tidbit. X)

I've been thinking of modifying an airsoft gun for the same purpose. I'd like to see this with C02 cartridges rather than spring power. You might be able to get a great deal of distance.

It is beautiful though. Certainly an artistic masterpiece.

Well considering this was made entirely from scratch, not a mod of anything, it was enough of an engineering headache to get it to this point. ;) I'm especially proud of how the piston chamber came out. When I began this project, we had just moved into our new house and the studio didn't even have a proper roof or walls on it- the CO2 canister you see here was cut from a hunk of wood WITHOUT a lathe- our lathe wasn't hooked up yet at the time, there was a lot of improvisation.

Did my first color test of that part yesterday, about to crack open the molds and see if I did my powders right!

Do people here usually just make modifications to existing weapons to make their props or are there others who work from scratch?

Nice nice! But no one with powder advice yet! Will have to wing it for today's batch!

Bilious, that's a fine bit of work! Welcome to the board

Thanks again!

I really like my spring loaded thing, it's like the toy they never made. ;A; I was mostly inspired because the DC Direct one was so fragile even if I bought one I couldn't run around playing with it, and the stand probably would leave a scar even if you removed it carefully. :C I'm a kid at heart, what can I say?

Awesome indeed and the grappling hook sounds like something you wouldn't want to drop on your foot.

This is beyond cool, does it have a string attached I can't tell.

The prototype doesn't, and I'm currently working on engineering a takeup reel. Hopefully it won't be too tricky! This video doesn't show off it's power well enough either, I'm firing into a pillow so it kind of bounces back at me. XD Playing with it in the yard, I managed to get it to go a good twenty feet or more with the aluminum grapple! The new plastic ones I'm casting atm will go twice or three times that distance, I figure! I can't wait until I'm done all this mold set up so I can reassemble my prototype and play with it again. XD

Did my first color run today! Interesting fact I learned: it takes more Platinum powder to get a good solid color than copper powder! Parts look fantastic, I can't wait to finish so I can post some updated photos!

Smordant- Lol the gun itself weighs a lot more than the grapple, i'd be more concerned about that than a light hunk of aluminum! :lol

Prop firing grappling gun - now there's something you don't see every day. I've always wanted something like that, but never spent the time to plan out a setup that would do more than plop out the hook without having parts/pieces having to get in the way of the rest of the design.

I'm waiting to see how your plastic run turns out. Very impressive so far.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back