Full ANH Vader: (addition to ) My first attempt at a Vader Helmet

First Post = Hi!

I first got into the prop making hobby doing lightsabers and since I registered here I have been reading and learning some new things and wanted to try finishing up a helmet. This is my first attempt and it has been very satisfying so far.

The cast I bought after some sanding and filing:

Primed:

Sanded:

With more sanding and tusks:

Since it doesn't need to be too shiny, I was going to try epoxy appliance paint/epoxy gunmetal for the final coats. Currently it is just bondo and 3 coats of primer wetsanded down to a 1500 grit. I have read most threads I could find and watched some videos but still any advice from experts is welcomed.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Re: My first attempt at a Vader Helmet

Excellent prep job! Your next stop is Pep Boys for some Duplicolor Universal Black.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate all the research I have been able to do here at the RFP to make this. The Vader paint scheme is so weird to see painted for the first time especially after 30 odd years of my brain telling me it is all black. I really appreciate the feedback.

Yeah... it looks weird. I know. I was like WTF when I first learned it was two-toned. But after a short while... it just looked weird when someone showed off a completely black helmet.

Well done.

What gunmetal did you use?
Its a well done job but I would recommend a different gunmetal as that one does not quite match the screen look. The use of several shades and a sloppy brush seems to create the best looks that I have seen.

The gunmetal does look a bit on the light side, but it's certainly well done!

Go over it some with a slightly darker shade and see how she looks then.

And maybe polish the dome a bit? Should be pretty smooth, but smudgy.

I used a Humbrol metallic gunmetal and it does look a little light. That Duplicolor universal black looked a little weird to me as well. A little too glittery or something.

You've done an excellent job with the rattle cans! Interesting that the Humbrol Gunmetal appears too bright as there is some conjecture that might have been the color they used to paint the helmet in 1976 (whether that is correct or not is still up for grabs but your paintjob would suggest not).

Universal Black too glittery? Also interesting. I hesitate to ask but I wonder if you used Duplicolor T100 Universal Black, or T90 Universal Black Metallic?

You've done an excellent job with the rattle cans! Interesting that the Humbrol Gunmetal appears too bright as there is some conjecture that might have been the color they used to paint the helmet in 1976 (whether that is correct or not is still up for grabs but your paintjob would suggest not).

Universal Black too glittery? Also interesting. I hesitate to ask but I wonder if you used Duplicolor T100 Universal Black, or T90 Universal Black Metallic?
doh! you nailed it.

Well... that's the first time I've seen a light Humbrol gunmetal. All I've seen is a very graphite dark grey one.

Also, the color you used might still be the right one... perhaps you just put on a too covering layer and not having enough of the black showing through, which would have darkened the color a bit. That's why these metallic colors are a PITA to nail.

I was just watching "a new hope" the other night, and I noticed how dull and light grey the helmet looked, and I remembered thinking that it got darker, and much more glossy in ESB, and Jedi! Is that a fact, or just an trick of the film.
I had also heard that by the time Jedi came around, they resculpted the whole helmet, so it would be correct from the right side to the left, as the first ANH helmet wasn't straight. Any truth to that info?

William

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back