Fetts $25 Iron Man - Mark V Suit Tutorial

Wolfie, Bad form dude.......Because you just made me spit coffee at my monitor! LOL

Dudette lol but next time I'll remember to put "not responsible for monitor damages" after posting ;)

I'm really tempted to try to build this to make my fiance wear it but no way I'd have time between trying to finish a Sandtrooper backpack before next month. :/ That and I wanna make him a Rocketeer to AND find him some better wolverine claws (which I made out of rubbermade trash can plastic last time lol)

Alas. But really, as much as I lurk to learn things, threads like this make me squee. and FS thanks for being above the poo and better than me cause I couldnt help stoop down to the level too , it was the whole 'get out of my thread' thing then coming into yours that did it for me lol

Last edited:
I haven't posted anyone else's picture. All of them are mine. The ab flex video is me.

I know....I could not understand how someone else was stating that you had used their photos as reference so I was a little confused by their post. Keep the updates coming! Thanks.

Someone had a question in reference to what tools to use to cut the trashcan instead of razor knives. I always use, and am currently using on the WM, cutting shears purchased at Home depot (comes in a set of 3 shears that have a straight pair, one for right-handed curves and one for left-handed curves for $29.) for cutting up plastic sheets and trashcans. Then, sand the edges.

Paul D.

I just started, got the chest done using a jig saw. I still need to do the tread.
Fett, You did a wonderful job on this! I can't wait to get it completed. still needs a bit of clean up.
IMG00420.jpg

Last edited:
ARMS

Arms are very different sizes obviously, so this is an instance where you are going to have to play with the templates to find YOUR size.

I tried to make the templates easy to understand and adjust.

Upper arm:

Print out the triceps and bicep templates. You're going to need to print out 5-6 plates for the triceps and 5-6 for bicep. You'll know how many you'll use depending on your arm length. I went with 6 for the triceps and 5 for the bicep.

The first thing I did was cut out the 5 tricep and 5 bicep paper templates. then I assembled them. I held them to my arm and taped them together so I could see exactly what size I needed to cut the plastic.

I marked the templates accordingly and cut out the plastic. The bicep part wraps around your bicep and the tricep part around your tricep.

When you have a nice paper upper arm built and you're happy, take it apart and cut your plastic. I would cut one bicep and one tricep strip at a time assemble them, then the next. That way you can better gauge how much the thickness of the plastic comes into play when cutting the length of the next strip. Since they over lap, each one has to be a little bit longer to accommodate for the increase in size.

I cut mine out and test fitted them but didn't rivet them. before assembling I heated them up with a heat gun and gave them a little bend just to help me assemble everything.

2098-04-18-forarm-005.jpg

Now just rivet each section together.
2098-04-18-forarm-006.jpg

Test everything as you go to make sure it is all fitting together.
2098-04-18-forarm-007.jpg

Once they are all assembled you can rivet each section to it's neighbor to form one upper arm section.
2098-04-18-forarm-008.jpg

2098-04-18-forarm-013.jpg

As you can see I made my bicep strips a little shorter toward the elbow to create a taper.

Forearm

For the forearm I basically repeated the above steps.

Cut out your three (might need four) forearm sections in template form and test fit everything in paper. The forearm sections are just one strip, not two combined like the upper arm. When you're happy with your fit, cut the plastic parts out using your modified templates.

Cut the the strips out and assemble each part.
2098-04-18-forarm-036.jpg

Trim and do another one.

Test fit as you go.

2098-04-18-forarm-037.jpg

To connect the sections together I cut a long strip of scrap plastic about 1 inch wide and riveted the sections to it.
2098-04-18-forarm-038.jpg

2098-04-18-forarm-039.jpg

2098-04-18-forarm-040.jpg

Lastly, I cut two elbow sections out and riveted one to the upper arm and one to the lower arm. I cut out a circle and placed it over the elbow and rioted the elbow sections together in the center of the circle. the elbow pivots on this rivet.

The little squiggly line above the elbow is silver sharpie I was using to mark the plastic.

My circles suck because I free handed them. Use the template to cut nice circles.

2098-04-18-forarm-041.jpg

2098-04-18-forarm-044.jpg

Testing the size is most important here.

This might not be the best way to do this, so experiment and have fun.

I'll answer any questions but I won't be back online until this time tomorrow.
:cheers

Last edited:
Thank you, I am very happy with it, you made the tutorial so easy that Jason Vorhees could follow it.

To you sir I say WE ARE NOT WORTHY!
7739_notworthy.gif

Last edited:

awesome find! Killer clip!

Although, trailers really go too far these days in many cases. Imagine how amazing it would have been to see the briefcase suit for the first time in the theater.

The design art linked from that page is pretty cool too..
http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/movie-stills/gallery/1096/iron-man-design-art#photo0

Interior of faceplate
http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/movie-stills/gallery/1096/iron-man-design-art#photo28

Last edited:
awesome find! Killer clip!

Although, trailers really go too far these days in many cases. Imagine how amazing it would have been to see the briefcase suit for the first time in the theater.

Yeah, that's what I told my brother. I mean, they take the really anticipated fight scene and put it on the internet.

Incredible piece, looks like I have a new project to mess with. Not going to try for the May 7th deadline but it'd be nice for a few cons coming up.

Hey all this is Nintendude from the 405th I know I have mainly stuck to pepakura but after going though all 7 pages of reading EVERYTHING and looking through all the templates, I must say awesome job with the templates. I know that trashcan armor is one idea of doing this but I will be starting on this myself probably after the movie is out just for fun and I may do this with sheet aluminum and back the pieces with foamie sheets. Another thought instead of plastic or sintra is to go with sheet rubber or foamies material if you want all the parts to have some flex and comfort to it. I know I'll be going metal and my Iron man helmet is being made from sheet metal as well using dungbeetles pep file to do that some might find me crazy but thats in my nature.

Those arm bits look fantastic! That helmet was anything but lame, It looks great.

With your permission I would like to compile this into a pdf file for easy referance.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back