Building My Fiber Optic Star Destroyer

Trekkie313

Hello, this is my 1st post on this site and believe it or not I found it while looking up "Fiber Optic Star Destroyer" on Google a few months ago after ordering the kit.

Now back on topic, what can you guys suggest I do to "plus" the lighting output without buying another model (I have one regular and one fiber optic kit). Also I'm looking to add detail on the exterior without busting the bank, but still have it look semi-accurate to the movie version. Ideas?

Depends what you mean by "plus" If your looking to add more lighting in general an easy way would be to buy an additional fiber optic lighting kit. Madman and VoodooFX both have inexpensive fiber starship kits that you could use to add more fiber and engine lighting. As for adding detail..this is a very personal choice. There are easily $300+ worth of detailing kits for the original SD kits. (I know...at one point I bought them all) These include dorsal, trench, bridge, cannons, hanger, and engine details. (nearly the entire model could be updated) They range in price from $10 up. I think I would take a hard look at the kit and from a personal level decide what you can live with, and what bothers you. If something bothers you, buy the updated kit (if you can find them...they go in and out of production) or considering buying stock plastic and updating it yourself. I'm sorry, but I dont think there is a cookie cutter answer. Once you start accuralizing the Destroyer it's hard to decide what is critical to update.

I have found those cheap UFO style lamps with the fibre optic tops are a good source of cheap thin fibre optic bundles. The lamp itself is probably too hot but its a start.

If you're referring to the power output, go to an electronic store and see if you can find a more powerful AC adapter, like a 12Volt. Make sure you get some resistors so that you don't blow the LED lights.

I purchased three fiber optic lights and canabilized them for the parts.

A really good source for fiber optic is the fiber optic Christmas trees. I got a whole butt load from a 4 footer. It had a 2" round bundle going up through the tree. Can be a bit difficult to remove but the reward is worth it. I got enough to do a lot of kits!
Check at yard sales and flea markets. You should be able to fet them really cheap!

Kenny

Hey Trekkie313 just curious, I have the normal kit and I haven't started it yet but I've seen the Fiber Optic set and was so close to buying it on ebay multiple times. Since you have both may I ask... what's the difference? obviously there's the fiber optics but are there any differences to the model?

I actually found the fiber optic star destroyer kit (released in 1995?) at a goodwill a few weeks ago with everything still in the original bags, unfortunately it was missing the fiber optic stuff, it seems like a great 'starter' model to mess with fiber optics and what not.

I have a few questions as far as the model goes.

How many feet of fiber optic wire (cable?) is sufficient for a model of this size?

Do you leave the model interior accessable, or does the electronics inside get sealed up?

Does the inside of the model need to be painted with something to keep light from bleeding out or having a 'glowing' effect?

Thanks,
-Kris

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back