Star Wars BLU-RAYS in the works!

I've found that the way Blade Runner was treated is ideal. You get both the U.S. and Euro theatrical cuts, the "Director's Cut", the FINAL cut, and the Rough Cut, all in one box. And while the FINAL cut probably is the best looking, there's no reason not to make sure the others are clean, too.

I agree! I don't mind if they release the SE on Blu-Ray, as long as they also release the theatrical versions in non pan-and-scan widescreen. They can't call this the "Ultimate" version without releasing the theatrical as well!

I hope they have deleted scenes, especially from ANH. Haven't seen any high quality versions of those...

Of course, this has all been rumored for years... I'll get excited once an official press release is released :cool

I just had a horrifying thought... Do you figure they are "working on" the deleted scenes? Imagine you get to see the Biggs scenes you always wanted, except they are full of CGI scurriers, womp rats, comedy jawas, and flying imperial seeker droids.

I agree! I don't mind if they release the SE on Blu-Ray, as long as they also release the theatrical versions in non pan-and-scan widescreen. They can't call this the "Ultimate" version without releasing the theatrical as well!

When did they put out a pan & scan widescreen version?

-Kevin

When did they put out a pan & scan widescreen version?

-Kevin

Oops, got my jargon mixed up! I meant to say they put out a 4x3 widescreen version (not sure what you call it), where the black bars are not only at the top and bottom, but also on the left and right on a widescreen TV. Ie, fake widescreen. I just wish they make an anamorphic (true widescreen) version.

Personally, I don't mind 'fixed up' like colouring Vader's sabre after the fight with Kenobi, and cleaning up the artifacts around tie fighters and so forth. I would like the original Jedi ending music and removal of the extra SE scenes though. Scenes and changes like added Jabba, Greedo shooting and the tatooine scenes are especially worthless.

Still not seeing it. Just the post about there being no digital transfers, then a response where the digital transfers are referred to as "digital copies".

-Kevin

Alright then it was an honest misread, but now the world knows my opinion on digital copies when no one asked :p

... I'm sorry if you feel it was insulting but if you're that sensitive about it, I'm a bit worried for you...

Nice personal insult ("a bit worried for you"). :rolleyes I never said it bothered me that much, I simply said that it's a bad analogy. If you can't see why it's a bad analogy, I'm not going to bother trying to explain it.

For the record, I am not a big fan of the PT - there were parts I enjoyed, but on the whole, I think they're vastly underwhelming and not even close to what they could, and should, have been.

Nice personal insult ("a bit worried for you"). :rolleyes I never said it bothered me that much, I simply said that it's a bad analogy. If you can't see why it's a bad analogy, I'm not going to bother trying to explain it.

For the record, I am not a big fan of the PT - there were parts I enjoyed, but on the whole, I think they're vastly underwhelming and not even close to what they could, and should, have been.

That actually wasn't meant to be taken in a condescending way tho I can see how it'd be easily misinterpreted as such.

I'm not trying to convince you a it's a GOOD analogy, I just merely stated it "holds true for me."

I'd ditto your comments on the PT. They're okay for when I'm really bored but I wouldn't spend money on them again... just netflix the blurays when they come out if I really want to see them.

Actually, I feel the same way about RotJ for that matter but, as I said, to each his own. I WOULD Like to have nice HD copies of just the original Star Wars and Empire personally... I'm doubtful it'll ever happen but who knows, less likely things happen sometimes on rare occasions.

...I WOULD Like to have nice HD copies of just the original Star Wars and Empire personally... I'm doubtful it'll ever happen but who knows, less likely things happen sometimes on rare occasions.

I agree; I would love to see the originals released in HD, as they were presented in the theater. Some of the changes in the SE's I don't mind (I actually prefer the new song at the end of ROTJ, for example), but others are terrible, and I'd love to have the option to watch whichever version I feel like seeing. I've got a feeling, like you said, that they'll never be released, but hey, it never hurts to dream, right? :cool

I agree; I would love to see the originals released in HD, as they were presented in the theater. Some of the changes in the SE's I don't mind (I actually prefer the new song at the end of ROTJ, for example), but others are terrible, and I'd love to have the option to watch whichever version I feel like seeing. I've got a feeling, like you said, that they'll never be released, but hey, it never hurts to dream, right? :cool

I'd imagine we probably agree on most points for the SE. I honestly can overlook many of the small things... stuff like the cgi sandcrawler or digitally enhanced sunset. If they had just stuck with doing that - and been a bit more consistent in how they did it, I think the SE would have rocked.

But I guess even the "original" version isn't completely "original" anymore. After all, Lucas started tweaking the first movie from the moment it was released... It'd be nice to see the very first theatrical cut again just to compare it to later versions like the THX laserdisc version.

If Lucas would release something akin to the Blade Runner set for the first movie, I think I could die a happy man (that's an exaggeration of course but it seems that way ;) )

Oh man, a master set that has every version ever released (original theatrical, SE, etc.) in all their HD glory - where's the drooling emote! :thumbsup

Alright then it was an honest misread, but now the world knows my opinion on digital copies when no one asked :p

Ahhh... okay. I thought I was just missing something. I agree with your opinion of them as well. Maybe when they become HD downloads will I give a crap. Til then, they're pointless.

-Kevin

Personally, I don't mind 'fixed up' like colouring Vader's sabre after the fight with Kenobi, and cleaning up the artifacts around tie fighters and so forth.

QFT. I don't mind a little gentle restoration/FX correction, such as we saw with the excellent Blade Runner: The Final Cut. Matte lines, that kind of thing. If that was all Lucas did, you wouldn't see many people howling for his head.

I would have far less of a problem there, but even then, there needs to be an "archive edition" in digital format that shows the film's imperfections.

Sorry, just scaning through the list here. The Blu Rays are coming out, Next October (is that for the Celebration sales or October 2011?)
And they are coming with a rubber cat turd or something?
WTF?
I hope they include both versions and the SE versions are further cleaned up, for the higher resolution. I can't wait to see these films again!

I'd love to have the originals but I'd be ok with the SEs... so long as the fix the darned audio on ANH!! That really always bothered me.

If he released the original versions he can go to town with his SE version all he likes. I don't care... heck, I may even watch them... but denying movie buffs the choice is just childish, when every other movie comes out with the original and other versions. He simply has no good argument for not doing it, when others can.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back