Hello! My name is Ryan Ricks! I work in the film industry, mostly in the camera department and editing (Go ahead and click here to look at an incomplete list of projects I've worked on). I enjoy prop making and have been known to cosplay from time to time.

Because of my experience in the film industry, when I make a replica based off of a video game or an animation, I don't go for 100 percent screen accuracy, but focus on making what I believe the prop would look like in real life. Normally this means adding details, not removing them.

I'm Joe, Software Developer and general gaming and cosplay enthusiast. Attended Nekocon 2015 and there were a bunch of panels on costume and prop builds hosted by members of the 501st Legion. They had lots of helpful info and pointed to here as the best place for information and discussion. Looking at building a Titan from Destiny and already threads here are helping me make a ton of progress.

Hey there - long time lurker who finally decided to jump in with both feet and join. Always been inspired by all of the work I've seen here on RPF, and there are so many talented artists and creators our there. I love it. I still consider myself a newbie at quite a bit, but I'm always willing to learn a new skill or up my challenge level. I'm a sewer mostly, but I've dabbled in props here and there. Can't wait to see and learn more.

Hello everyone

I'm Jim, I'm British, and I love the PC game Elite: Dangerous and Sci-Fi films in general, and I'd like to combine those by building an awesome pilot's chair.

I'm learning to use a compound chop saw, and make parts from MDF, and foam and Worblas. I love the look of the seats from the Nostromo from 'Alien', and Star Lord's chair from the Milano in Guardians of the Galaxy. The latter is proving difficult to get pictures of, so I asked a friend and he pointed me in your direction.

I also love the A-Wing pilot's helmet from Star Wars, and the armour/weapons of Halo, and the crates and cases of Borderlands. Anyway, enough about me :)

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself!"
Howdy!
I am so excited to have joined in on the fun of costuming and props! :) So the reason I am here. For the first time in my 30 years of existence, a Star Wars movie premieres on my 31st birthday!!!! I am obviously beyond excited about the fact that it's a new Star Wars movie and I get to celebrate on the same day. I can't really remember life without Star Wars, thanks to my parents purchasing countless VHS copies. Anyways back to the purpose, I will be dressing as Luke Skywalker Yavin Ceremony outfit, minus the jacket and medal. So this will be more akin to the promotional pictures they took. Anyways I will post where I am at right now, and keep a log to help anyone else who has had a rough time finding where to buy and how to modify! :) I also play in ska/punk/hardcore bands!! AHHH I am just a tad bit excited.....the coffee does not help! :)

Hello everyone, I am Manlio, I am italian and I am a librarian. I am here because I am a Sci-Fi fan and very fond of Sci-Fi movies and tv series costume replicas. I bumped casually here looking for ways to identify and reproduce some coats I saw on (obviously) Doctor Who, and I found out what seems to be the best database on the stuff i love!
Thanks to everyone!

Hey all, name's Oddy.

I'm very much new to the replica props community, and have a lot of learning to do before I'm really ready to get into serious builds.

My attention came to RPF through various means, including several Tested videos on YouTube and my growing appreciation and collecting of lightsabers through UltraSabers and SaberForge.

Currently I am planning a costume for a Jedi survivor of Order 66, who went into hiding under a bounty hunter alias. So my plans involve the creation, or acquisition of Clone War era armor pieces, a custom built blaster sniper rifle, a simplified lightsaber hilt, and a costume inspired by Cad Bane, Mandalorians, and/or your run of the mill mercenary.

Would love some thoughts, suggestions, and just general advice on the best starting approach. I've already been working on a basic M16/ Blastech A280 inspired rifle, which I'll get some pictures posted of soon.

Hi,
My name's Josh, I'm an avid sci-fi fan and amateur cosplayer from Portland, Oregon. I've been hearing about RPF for years from various blogs and websites, so I thought I'd check it out. I've got lots of experience with scale modeling and recently just finished painting my first venture into replica prop making. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for everyone.

Hello all! I have followed a few of the threads here as I have researched the props that interest me. I am a Star Wars fan, and until recently never owned, built, or had any props unless you count a framed Scareface pic with Cuban cigar, .223 & .32 cal rounds mounted in it. I work in Occupational Safety and Health, and just recently decided to indulge my desire to purchase and create some props I have always wanted. I used to collect MILSURP rifles, rebuild and refinish them, so I am mechanically inclined when working on these types of things.

My first step into this world has been to buy a replica ESB Luke replica Graflex saber from Parks (I am currently in week 2 of my ten - twelve week wait). In the interim, I decided to build my own sink tube version of ANH "Luke" saber (working on it currently), and even though some may frown on it, I do intend to create a true Graflex version. My opinion the ANH version does nothing to damage the original flash (I purchased a 2 Cell and intend to use a replica 3 cell bottom).

I have picked up a few saber blades from TCSS (plug for them as they have a great deal on grab bag blades at $10 a pop). One thing I know I suck at is wiring and electronics, so hopefully I can learn a few things here.

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and would like introduce myself. I'm looking at getting into some building projects of my own and would love any helpful tips and feedback on my idea.

I'm going to start of with a smaller project before starting work on my TK. I wanted to start building my own version of Kylo Ren's lightsaber. I am going to make two identical models one out of aluminium and 3D print the other. One is going to have a standard polyC tube and a foam diffuser, but for the other I want to experiment on my own blade design.

I know there has been many debates and arguments on the possibility of the "Darksaber", which yeah I know a black blade wouldn't work... but I was interested to know if by using a smoked/frosted white or grey poly tube to create a rough red effect of the blade by etching if that will work.

If anybody has and feedback on their own experiments or ideas I would be greatly appreciative.

Also is there anyone that can enlighten me on what the differences on using a tube compared to a way to light up a solid rod of poly, or any other form of plastic that can be illuminated.

Regards,
Paul

Hello , I am new to the forum and am keen on building a new super hero suit for a concept film we are making to pitch to the studio's. I am sure the amazing talent here could help me out.

Regards
Kay

Hello all,

I just wanted make sure I get my 1st post in before I start posting away..

A bit about myself..

I'm a big fan of seeing behind the scenes of productions in all capacities. I work in the film industry off and on I also do some Magic & Escapes consulting for movies & TV. Along with consulting I having a good size collection of restraints that I rent out.

BUT..... My big love is sci-fi weaponry of all kinds. I'm planing on adding the art of sci-fi weapon manufacturing to my repertoire and being on therpf forms is an amazing resource for me! If anyone ever needs help with anything in the world of restraints, I'm you guy. I used to work for over 22 years as an escape artist and have a wealth of knowledge in this space. Feel free to PM me if you need some help.

I look forward to talking with you all

Hello everyone,
My name is Craig Esslemont or username badges2nz, I am a big fan of Star wars, Battlestar Galactica, Indiana Jones, BTTF and most Sci Fi tv shows.
I have had a go at putting together a couple of costumes, one AT AT driver which is an on going project still unfinished after two years, trying to get boots for it and I got a bank loan out for $3500.00 to do a Darth Vader costume (didn't tell the wife about the loan).
I first heard about theRPF on mythbusters and then a couple of friends of mine said I should join up so now I have.
I am a part of the Star Wars NZ fan club and when I'm allowed to I help the 501st locally with some of their fund raisers.
I am just starting out with model and prop making really and am learning a lot from different books and on line.
I'll probably have a lot of questions and queries but when ever there is something out there that deserves praise then I'll chime in there to.
I look forward to catching up with ones I know and making new friendships here as well, plus hopefully I might be of some help also.

Hi i am Jay from germany. I am actually building parts for my daughter's rey costume. She takes care of the rest. The staff is almost ready, other parts are in the planning and we are a bit in a hurry because of the ep7 Premiere in mid december.
On the other Hand i am doing an aluminum astromech after i had build my First one in wood and styrene.
Additionally i am doing a mandalorian costume for my 9 year old son and an amidala arena scene costume with blaster.

Craig, it's great to have you on board at last. Craig, meet RPF. RPF, meet Craig. He's a good bloke, you'll like him!

Hello everyone,
My name is Craig Esslemont or username badges2nz, I am a big fan of Star wars, Battlestar Galactica, Indiana Jones, BTTF and most Sci Fi tv shows.
I have had a go at putting together a couple of costumes, one AT AT driver which is an on going project still unfinished after two years, trying to get boots for it and I got a bank loan out for $3500.00 to do a Darth Vader costume (didn't tell the wife about the loan).
I first heard about theRPF on mythbusters and then a couple of friends of mine said I should join up so now I have.
I am a part of the Star Wars NZ fan club and when I'm allowed to I help the 501st locally with some of their fund raisers.
I am just starting out with model and prop making really and am learning a lot from different books and on line.
I'll probably have a lot of questions and queries but when ever there is something out there that deserves praise then I'll chime in there to.
I look forward to catching up with ones I know and making new friendships here as well, plus hopefully I might be of some help also.

Hello everyone! I've been following the RPF on Facebook for awhile and finally created a profile :p

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's awesome costume work!

Greetings all you newbies and welcome to the RPF... my name is James but you can call me Satyr and I am a model builder and have been here for a long time! If you have any questions, feel free to ask anyone here... that's why we are here... the share and pass on our collective knowledge of all things movie and prop related! I personally specialize in model building (mainly Star Wars ships and props) but have dabbled a bit in other things! But go around... explore the forum... add a comment... we all enjoy hearing what you think of our work and don't be shy to jump in a conversation to add something to it, whether it be humor or a question... but just follow Wheton's Law and I'm sure you'll find all kinds of great info here!

Hi. I thought I'd better delurk officially :)

My name is Andrew, I live in Auckland, NZ. I've been visiting sporadically and some recent posts about Evil Dead chainsaws have got me inspired to make my own, which is now under way.

Hello people, I am Alper, I'm Turkish. I recently got involved in cosplaying(like less than a year), and I like to build my own costumes and share them with you. I use pics from this site to make my costumes better.

Hello all my name is Tim and I am a ghostbuster cosplayer. I am a huge nerd and major fan of ghostbusters, I have a full ghostbuster 2 cosplay and I also made a Tobin Spirit guide.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back