Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! <<

My brother flew the "Aluminum Overcast", B-17. They don't let you fly it any more; but you can still get the jacket. I took ground school, but never flying lessons; some day I will...

What all do you fly? Flying a single-engine 4-seater is soooo different from riding commercial; you clearly see your craft is not moving in the direction it's pointed!

Very cool; such collections are very parallel to "props" -- they allow us to participate vicariously in things we'll never be able to. Like zeppelins -- where will I ever book passage on an oceanic cruise ship? (The Graf was the way to go; tiny cabins, but each had a WINDOW! You could fall asleep gazing out at a poor unlucky ship plowing a wake 5000 feet below!) I have 3D pictures of the Graf and Hindenberg. I can "fly" on them any time I want!

Sooo --- how many people know what "UP SHIP!" means?

Thats pretty cool, the b-17 was a great plane for what was needed at the time. I would love to fly in one some time. Ive been in a few at airshows but not up in there air. I fly everything from small single engined aircraft like a c-172 to larger twin engine turbo props like the Beachcraft King Air's. Both ends of the size category are fun for different reasons. The small aircraft are more maneuverable and fun for a daily flight but the bigger aircraft are immensely enjoyable at higher altitudes for longer trips.

Thats cool, I defiantly understand the appeal of lighter than air travel. I don't know what "Up ship" means.

Hello
New member here. I look forward to reading and showing everyone my builds. I mainly do star wars replicas and destiny props. I do alot of 3d printing and custimazation! Once againg hello and lets have some fun. :)

Thats pretty cool, the b-17 was a great plane for what was needed at the time. I would love to fly in one some time. Ive been in a few at airshows but not up in there air. I fly everything from small single engined aircraft like a c-172 to larger twin engine turbo props like the Beachcraft King Air's. Both ends of the size category are fun for different reasons. The small aircraft are more maneuverable and fun for a daily flight but the bigger aircraft are immensely enjoyable at higher altitudes for longer trips.
I think I'm a little jealous at your experience! Unless one has actually throttled up and pulled back on the stick, feeling the power and watching the ground fall away, they just don't understand the rapture of flying. Of course, standing an F-15 on its tail and hitting the afterburner probably would top that. "Up, up, the long delirious burning blue, I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace, where never lark, nor even eagle flew." ;-)

I just watched (again) the true story of the "Gimly Glider"; the Air Canada 767 that ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. Flying isn't supposed to be that exciting.

Thats cool, I defiantly understand the appeal of lighter than air travel. I don't know what "Up ship" means.
Imagine powering up the engines, part of the crew holding the lines, the other part holding onto the gondola.

"Throttle to a fourth. Cast lines!"

All lines are released.

"UP SHIP!"

And those holding the rail literally throw the ship up into the air. The ship begins to accelerate forward, the envelope (an air foil!) developing lift. And she slips smoothly up into the blue, like a graceful silver whale, at home --- in an ocean --- of sky.

:cool

Gadgeteer, I do say it to her face as well, so I think it's safe to assume she does. :)

Heh heh -- it's fun when people can tease each other, like you and I --- or you and your wife. Life can be too serious. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome -- and welcome to everyone else (though I'm new here also)!
New member here. I look forward to reading and showing everyone my builds. I mainly do star wars replicas and destiny props. I do alot of 3d printing and custimazation! Once again hello and let's have some fun. :)

I'm sure I speak for everyone, we look forward to seeing your (and the other new members') talent!

I might even hire you to do a 3D print for me if you're willing.

:)

Hey all - I'm new here, but not to the world of costuming.

I'm from Sydney, Australia. I'm 30, and I've been making costumes and props since I was a kid. I pretty much grew up around movie sets, since my Dad has worked in SFX for many years. Much to his dismay, I followed him into the industry - I got my start at 14 working on the Lord of the Rings films at Weta Workshop, and I've been in and out of the industry ever since, although these days I tend to work from my studio at home and do individual piece work, since I've moved out of the big smoke and into the mountains - it's prettier up here (and you can use powertools later at night without bugging neighbours!). I've got a degree in costume, and a graduate diploma in costume design, although I'm fairly certain I've learned more just from tinkering and watching YouTube videos than from four years of formal study.

I've only recently (the past two years) come back to attending conventions in costume - thus far, the costumes I've made myself have been Silk Spectre I (the film version), Catwoman (the New 52 version - I did a latex version and wore it in Summer. Worst idea ever!), and most recently I went for a really faithful adaptation of Harley Quinn from Batman: The Animated Series. I wanted a super retro-pinup look, so I even made my own undergarments based on authentic old bullet bra patterns. (I've attached some pics below). I also made the mallet, which was a foam job over some old 35mm film cans (it opens up and I can store stuff in it, too).

I'm a super curvy gal, and I like the challenge of making a costume work with my proportions - I'm big on everyone being able to rock whatever character they love, no matter what they look like.

My current project is proving challenging as far as finding reference material for some angles, but is a fun project nonetheless - I'm doing a foam build of the armour Gary Oldman wears as Dracula in the Coppola version.

Nice to meet everyone, and I'm looking forward to participating!

_8109266-Edit.jpg_8109202-edit.jpg_8109185-Edit-2.jpg

Hi all, my name is Jamie French. I have over ten years experience in video production and twenty years experience in music production. I'm no stranger to costume design, make up etc, but I've started an account on this forum to ask a simple question after a couple of hours of fruitless searching. Thanks for having me, J.

Hello All!

Lurked around the RPF for a long time and finally joined! Been making for most of my life (I'm only 25) made a few smaller props for myself and friends but finally starting to look at some bigger long term projects.

Planning to do a con in costume later this year so starting on that and working on a few other side projects while I go!

Thanks guys

Hey hey,

I´ve been lurking around this site for quite some weeks now, had a peek in the visible forums... and mustered up the courage to register and get started today.
I´m Alex and it´s about time I start living my dream of Star Wars costuming (aiming for the 501st) ;)

Now to find out if I got any spark of talent for this ...somewhere...inside of me ;)

Today is great day to build!

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and I am currently working on a few builds, Incredible Hulk, & Chewbacca. I'm over in the USA, Florida to to be exact. Big fan of collecting comics, and making builds, I have been browsing this site and have seen some amazing work from others.

Happy building!

Hello there. The name is Neto and the work is TV production and stuff... (note that "and stuff" is usually we do more at work).
I like long walk at the beach and my favorite color is skittles.

I have done lots of props specially for Old Time Bible sets and ancient civilizations like emulating Greek and Egyptian utensils and tools and all kinds of stuff we can use to make our sets realistic for the kids.
I also have done lots of set work for TV and News and some other stuff when needed. I'm one of you guys when it comes to improvise and get things done as accurate as possible and as fast as possible as well

here some of my stuff... Hope to be able to contribute some soon :rolleyes

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 12.31.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-17 at 12.33.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-17 at 12.31.14 PM.png

(sorry I have no pictures of props with me right now...)
P.S. - I found the website because of TESTED.com and Adam Savage.

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 12.31.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 12.31.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 12.33.53 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Ramoth and I sew. Well, mostly.

Propmaking isn't my forte, though I have sewn a few costumes that I am very proud of. (You can find them here: http://glitchintheditch.tumblr.com/tagged/my-fancraft-portfolio)

I'm here to expand my making horizons and hopefully find some ideas about how to make this Sango (from Inuyasha) costume that a friend has asked for. I dream of the day I'm able to make a full GfH!Kimball costume, helmet and coat and all....

Hey people!

I'm Daniel and I live in Wroclaw in Poland. I run a fan page TentacleCreations on facebook where I post about my projects builds.
About a year ago I found out about theRPF.com when I was looking for some tips and refrences that would help me with building a prop that I always wanted to have - boba fett/Mandalorian helmet. And that was the prop that has got me into prop making/costume making!

Posts and work of other people helped me with my project, which is great. I'm looking forward to share my project with other hobbyists here.

Here's my mando/boba fett helmet custom painted and my Cs:go karambit knife replica made out of eva foam. I work on many more things and I'll be happy to share them in the near future!
tagged-for-rpf — kopia.jpgfinal1.jpgfinal2.jpg

Hi All, just joined the site after browsing it for years looking at all the cool stuff you guys have been making and now want to get in on the act so thought it high time i joined and wanted to say hi.

best regards
Dominic

Hi there,
just got started in the Replica Prop world and am loving it!
Main passion is Star Wars weaponary, i've attached some pictures of my ESB Luke Lightsaber i've made with a genuine Graflex flash handle. Additional parts are from www.wannawanga.com. Other weapon is my Han ESB Bespin/Hoth hybrid DL-44. All metal Denix blaster with scope and Flash hider from evolution props and 3-D printed parts from Shapeways. Loving tinkering and putting bits together and next project will be a Stormtrooper E-11 blaster :)

Hello every one. I have been a maker all my life. I have come to learn how to construct some screen accurate props from some of my favorite movies (willy wonka and the chocolate factory, stargate, star wars, dr who).

Currently the only prop I have started is a dr who scarf which I'm sure is less than screen accurate as I started it a long time ago.

Hey folks. I came across this site randomly and there's some amazing stuff on here!
I have worked doing post effects for feature films for over five years and am making a move to go into props.
I'm looking forward to checking out everyone's amazing stuff on here!

Hi there,
just got started in the Replica Prop world and am loving it!
Main passion is Star Wars weaponary, i've attached some pictures of my ESB Luke Lightsaber i've made with a genuine Graflex flash handle. Additional parts are from www.wannawanga.com. Other weapon is my Han ESB Bespin/Hoth hybrid DL-44. All metal Denix blaster with scope and Flash hider from evolution props and 3-D printed parts from Shapeways. Loving tinkering and putting bits together and next project will be a Stormtrooper E-11 blaster :)

Your pics didn't come through, Shoeben. Interesting site (wannawanga) -- whoever thought a multi-digit LED lens could be repurposed into a Darth saber!

I have three of the Hasbro sabers -- Luke (green), Darth (red), and Aniken (blue). They are polycarbonate "blades" with a dozen LED's and a diffusing layer. I saw a laser from "Lucklasers" that comes with a clear lucite rod, it's a high-power-blue which illuminates the whole rod in a convincing display. (I'll post the link if anyone's interested...)

Re: ** New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! **

Hello Everybody I am a new member I have been a huge star wars fan ever since I first saw star wars back in the 70's slipping out from work to see it,
I have been working in the Aerospace Composite Engineering industry for many, many years,
I have made many things outside of my workplace one thing I am wanting to do is make a tie fighters pilot helmet I am trying to find the download for the paper model of this helmet, Can anyone point me in the correct direction ??, I know I could build one of these helmets of paper and make a mould from it , I have seen ones for sale at £349.99 which I think is a complete rip-off , I have the skills to make one of these can anyone help.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back