Subscribe
    5 Days Ago  Aug 11, 2017, 3:11 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12376

Hello I'm A. I'm starting my first replica costume. A Spider-Man Homecoming homemade suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    5 Days Ago  Aug 12, 2017, 1:31 AM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12377

Hi All.

I'm just a maker with my pal Pete. We are engineers and entreprenuers by trade, but we do prototypes and proof of concepts. We recently had a friend ask us to make "web shooters", and we went alittle overboard using arduino/mp3 modules, a fuel injector to shoot mist, and moldings made by a 3D print. facebook.com/makekickstart

Looking forward to getting some other cool ideas and projects made for costumes...its a lot of fun!

JOHNNY
  3. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    4 Days Ago  Aug 12, 2017, 8:31 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12378

Hello everyone!
    I, like so many others, am a lover of props. It's my one and only true collecting passion.
    So far I've only been able to afford kits...(and barely those. Lol) and still have quite a few items missing from my collection.
    I'm not at all very good as far as scratch building ANYTHING, but who knows?
    I hope to meet and make as many friends as possible here.

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    4 Days Ago  Aug 12, 2017, 9:47 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12379

Hi I'm Andrew (Hi Andrew) and I'm fairly new to doing costumes (I've made lots of other stuff, but this is a new medium for me). My bucket list has a wearing a Tokusatsu costume on it and being a child of the 80s and 90s that means Godzilla and Power Rangers (or Super Sentai I love them both). My major plan is a first season Megazord costume likely out of EVA foam. I've been plotting out a blueprint for the sword (I figure that will be the simplest part) that currently has it about 65" long (based on the scale from the original US toy and my height of 6'4 and the plan to add about 6 inches in padding and such. Found some great resources here and I'm hoping to find a lot more.

Currently trying to also find the Pepakura files for the Power Ranger helmets which seem to have mostly been on another site that no longer exists so if anyone knows where to find those I'd be really happy :-D.

I'm also looking to just make some EVA helmets for my son that likes to dress up. I have the pattern for Dr. Fate printed off and ready to cut out!
  5. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    4 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 2:57 AM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12380

Hi, I'm Nick. I'm not a prop maker. I cosplay once in a while, but it's all pretty shoddy/quick stuff. I tend to use cardboard and make silly/inane stuff more than real costumes.

I've lurked for a long time and am impressed by everyone's creations.

I just finished building a Spock Helmet a couple weeks ago, and came to see about posting the build of that.
  6. Member Since
    May 2017
    4 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 5:06 AM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12381

Greetings,

My name is Darrell and I have just started in the Prop building for Cosplay with my two daughters that are 9 AND 12. We have fallen into the Steampunk style for our first costuming and props. Almost everything we have completed are for use in Cosplay. It is an avenue for me to get them to look up from their tablets and computers and interact. My 9 year old is willing to build.

9 year old daughter achievements:
    A Harley Quinn (puppeteer) mechanical actuating hand out of PVC.
    2 Squirt guns repainted (Flamethrower pistol and a gas gun; both derringer 1 shot size)
    Gauntlets and chin guards for a Haley Quinn Ninja with a foam helmet (I built she painted and made mask)
    Working on a 3 ft tall Anna dol from Frozen to be repainted and costumed to be Poison Ivy.
    Harley Quinn costume with a Nerf gin painted like Harley Quinn colors and a big Hammer .

My projects.
    Top hat made of playing cards only.
    Half a dozen Nerf guns in steampunk Genre paint schemes.
    Gladiator helmet with small dragon and spikes with Bat wing sides to cover face.
    Staff with small demonic hand holding glowing apparatus.
    Steampunk batman style gauntlests and chin guards (My first time with EVA foam.)
    A utility style belt with test tubes and vials with pistols to portray a demon hunter.
    CUrrently making:

A prop Sith lightsaber out of cardboard tubes and recycles parts.
    One DL-44 style (Empire Strikes Back as base) For a sith costume)

I like to work with foam mostly for my projects and a couple of my daughter's played with dolls .
    1 Harley Quinn Gladiator armor
    1 Poison Ivy

This is all I can really say I have tried with limited success in my first year of playing with props.
    It is my passionate hobby.

with respects

Darrell
    aka Darrellmac.
    3 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2017, 9:08 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12382

Hello everyone, I'm Thomas. I have zero experience in anything mildly related to prop making. I am an amateurs amateur, but I hope to learn from all you pros out there. You probably won't hear from me very often unless It's me slobbering over my keyboard at the stuff you geniuses produce.
  8. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    3 Days Ago  Aug 14, 2017, 3:02 AM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12383

Hello Community

My name is Sascha and i'm located in Switzerland. I've started doing props maybe one year ago but i'm still working on finishing my projects - it's just a hobby and nothing time critical. I've published my projects also at my website (www.getrc.ch). We will see us here in next time a lot

Sascha
  9. Member Since
    May 2017
    2 Days Ago  Aug 14, 2017, 4:10 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12384

Thomas my friend,
    We have all been at that stage; You tube will be your friend. I have found many inspirations for projects and even how to do some specific projects on that medium. I like Evil Ted and Punished Props personally for some good ideas. I got a reply email from a builder who once said the perfect prop is never built and the best prop is the one that is completed and displayed for others. I am working with my 9 year old so not the most professional looking stuff but we have fun with it all.

My projects are raw at best, yet at cosplay arenas my daughters and I do get some attention and of course the comrade of other Cosplayers.

Welcome to the fun of prop making, it is really a fun hobby.
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    2 Days Ago  Aug 14, 2017, 5:27 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12385

New to the forum. Looking to build some cool Tron props!!!!!
  11. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    1 Day Ago  Aug 15, 2017, 3:20 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12386

Hi there, Vincent here! Currently working on a large K2SO build that I'm 3D-printing. I kind of messed up the scale with the 1st part, so it's a bit bigger than intended, but not life-sized (unfortunately). Heard a lot of good stuff about the RPF through the usual channels. Even got a Sandtrooper costume tucked away somewhere that needs building & I keep pushing it forward. Anyways, nice to meet your acquaintance!
  12. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    1 Day Ago  Aug 15, 2017, 6:33 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12387

I haven't any idea how this works but it looks simple,so hey!
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    1 Day Ago  Aug 15, 2017, 6:35 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12388

Howdy prop people!
    I'm new at this. But I heard this is the place to go, and YOU ALL are the people to talk to. I'm looking for a replica costume. Imperial Stormtrooper???
    I don't trust e-bay. I'm willing to pay for the real deal. Any suggestions?? Thanks
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    1 Day Ago  Aug 16, 2017, 9:45 AM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12389

Hello all and nice to meet ya!

I've been to the RPF off and on for the past couple years but I'm getting more serious now I'm trying to get better at making props and armor out of Foam, silicone I also am learning how to sculpt with clay and sew to a degree I am currently a blacksmith apprentice working at a local blacksmith shop and I hope to one day have my own business for all kinds of metal work, costuming and prop making! any help or advice or tips from others is always welcome and appreciated.

Glad to be apart of the group.
  15. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    21 Hours Ago  Aug 16, 2017, 1:33 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12390

Hi I'm Jamie

Brand Newbie. Have some very fundamental questions and I am also going to use the extensive library of existing Q&As to learn. Just wanting to start with small scale models (starting very simple - as you'll see from my first proper post). I want to get to a place where I can make my own cosplay outfit with accessories.

So want to learn about materials, be that foam, wood, clay etc - all the way to casting various things. Also painting/finishing, even fabrics. I want to get to a place where I can make some kickass things for myself. From replica props to all out spacesuits/armour and weapons (eventually). Also want to make some great toys for the kids along the way.

I've always been handy but haven't been in a shop since school. I remember doing quite well with foam design prototyping and vacuum forming as well as the traditional wood and metal working. Since then I've more just messed around in my parents garage doing silly projects. Anything from a custom DJ table for my various types of equipment... all the way to making my own diy solar water heater for the paddling pool. I also did all the practical stuff round the house. But again, just used hand tools since school. I've been told I can make a start without a workshop so at this point I just want to learn techniques through practical experience. But this will still be a whole new level, whole new skillset.

My interests; I thought I was a "film buff" (sorry if you cringe at the term) until I saw some of you guys on youtube. But I am really passionate. Especially about Ridley Scotts Alien/Blade Runner Universe. Also the obvious big ones. I have been watching various build videos for the past 6 months and thought it was time to just go down the local art shop or online and get started.

Anyway I've heard such good things from makers on youtube about this place. Sorry for the long intro.

Jamie
    From
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    13 Hours Ago  Aug 16, 2017, 9:06 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12391

Hello all! Finally got my butt on this forum. Been crafting anime and scifi costumes for about 10 years now. My husband and I are cosplayers from Calgary, Alberta Canada, we like to make cool stuff, go to cons, show it off and have fun. Thanks for having me, I hope to learn lots from all your posts, and hopefully show you guys what I'm making too!

Notable builds:
    Mystique & Magneto - Xmen FirstClass group cosplay w/ Temperance
    Ifrit - FinalFantasyX
    A bunch more random stuff: Captain America, FinalFantasyXV, Cinderella, Emma Frost, KungFury, Rogue , Sabertooth, yadda yadda yadda. Lots of pics on our IG and FB.
    Currently working on a MassEffect build too.

Thanks again,
    Lindsey / SilverLining
  17. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    13 Hours Ago  Aug 16, 2017, 9:12 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12392

My name is Graham. I've lurked around for awhile. I am a physics and engineering teacher in a STEM academy and so my classroom is a makerspace. I also have a youtube channel and philosophy Always Be Making where I build D&D props, cook, and talk about stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDP0BHf5imA Thanks!
  18. Member Since
    Aug 2017
    12 Hours Ago  Aug 16, 2017, 9:50 PM - Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! << #12393

Hi,

My name is Frank and I've been looking at this site to over a year. My main interest is Star Wars related items, models in particular so I've been looking at lots and lots of model builds. I'm also a member of the 501st Legion and this last spring finished my Stormtrooper costume. I'm considering a new costume build and will be working on my painting/weathering skills to make my resin blasters look more realistic.

At this moment I'm in the early stages of an EVA foam build. I'm making a Stormtrooper for my sons' Halloween costume. I think I've got the foam assembly under control but could really use advice on proper sealing/painting techniques.

Who knows what I'll work on next but I'm having a blast making stuff again.