Hey guys my name is Jay though I have been known around the web as HuronBH for many years. I have lived most of my life on the East Coast of the US, bouncing around the state of Virginia for most of that time. I have been building, paintings, sculpting, and playing Table Top miniature Wargames for 25+ years. In that time I have played countless games, worked at several different hobby and game stores, run several commission Building/Painting services full time, been a hobby blogger, been a podcaster, and playtester for several different companies. My school background is mostly Art and Multimedia Design focused and I am currently studying CAD Design and Architecture.

I have lots of design and construction experience, but not very much prop and costuming experience (I made a few foam weapons and a few costumes 15 or so years ago). I have wanted to do some prop making in the past but never knew where to start. Thanks to a friend I was recently exposed to costuming using EVA Foam and the relatively easy methods used to produce good quality costumes and weapons. 400ish hours of Youtube and additional research later I now feel ready to give it a go.

I look forward to reading and in the future commenting on projects here and sharing with you guys my builds as I gain experience building my first props and costumes.

See you on the battlefield...

-jay

Hi,
I actually joined a few weeks ago, but I realised that I'd never introduced myself on here (am I breaking a rule? :))
I'm into costume design and overall, I love characters who use bows, especially comic characters, as I am obsessed with archery myself. For this reason, I love Arrow, Hawkeye, Speedy, Arsenal, but I also like designing new costumes that are custom to me. For example, I'm currently working on a custom fantasy LARP armoured archer costume for myself, and its proving to be surprisingly fun, not having any pattern limitations etc, just freehanding it. I'm also a fan of Batman, the Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings and kind of Star Wars, although I have never attempted a costume from these.
I look forward to my time on the RPF, and so far it has been extremely enjoyable, talking with like minded people about stuff.

i just joined this site because I have something asking and i want to see about making better items

edit -- i forgot to add in ap art of message

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I just joined this awesome community of people about a month ago and have been shocked at the shear size and scope of the props made by members. I started off with pepakura about a year ago making an iron man helmet that I scaled incorrectly and ended up smelling terrible when i mixed bondo incorrectly. After sealing that horror away in an airtight box I found out about foam builds and have been using foam since. I generally use dollar store foam board, wood glue, and polyurethane resin.

Quite a few people use fiberglass, but I wanted to experiment with something else, so I take my foam piece and coat it with a few coats of wood glue. I then put plaster of paris on the outside of the piece and dissolve the foam inside. After the foam is dissolved the wood glue leaves a thin membrane which I cut holes in and pour in the polyurethane resin essentially making the entire piece plastic.

10407069_416732711809777_7432354843382237676_n.jpg10850243_416732688476446_5748939387725638906_n.jpg10858591_419104181572630_2016692311990578571_n.jpg

Hi All,

Just joined as I am looking to build an X-Wing flight suit. I'm based in the UK, so if any of you guys have any advice or parts etc for sale, please get in touch!! Many Thanks

Hello !
I'm 27y old beginner from Poland .
I registered almost 1.5 year ago and there is my first post. I will try to make some armor for myself to polish my skills with papercraft. Wish me luck and see ya on other theads

Hello everyone, long time lurker here.

I've been amazed by some of the projects and collections I've seen here over the years. Now that school is slowing down I am trying to motivate myself to build a small workshop and start a collection of my own. I look forward to becoming part of the community, and developing the skills and knowledge needed to attack some projects!

Hi everybods! I've been following the RPF on FB for a bit and love the amazing builds I'm constantly seeing. I work as a graphic designer and convention organizer, but I've always been an artist first. Looking forward to checking into another build soon myself! Live down here in South GA - havent put together much but trying to always learn new techniques.

Hi, Will here.

I've been inspired by so many projects here to try my hand at some replicas. Hoping to get into the industry. I currently work as a professional painter of wargames figures (warhammer etc.)

Re: >> New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves Here! <<

Hello Everybody!

I'm Jake and judging by my name you should see what type of cosplay I do. I've been looking for a face shell for amazing Spider-Man 1 for some time now. Please contact me if you know anyone that sells face shells.

Thank you,
Jake

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Everybody!

I'm Jake and judging by my name you should see what type of cosplay I do. I've been looking for a face shell for amazing Spider-Man 1 for some time now. Please contact me if you know anyone that sells face shells.

Thank you,
Jake

Hello everyone! My name is Nicholas, and I am from New York, NY. I am a huge fan of costuming, and I am planning to start/do more work on my Hawkeye costume. I have been cosplaying since 2007, and thoughout my searches for costume help over the years I keep finding this site, and I finally decided to register. I have done many cosplays in the past, my current Avengers costumes are Fraction Hawkeye and Punk!Hawkeye.

Hey gang, Matt from Santa Monica here. I've been a pop culture buff all my life and collector of vinyl figures. For someone who obsesses over screen accurate Halloween costumes every year, I can't believe it took me this long to do my first build - Doc Brown's plutonium case, which I posted here.

I work on the production side of entertainment journalism, which occasionally allows me to indulge in some of my passions, like the aforementioned Back to the Future. Here's a piece I produced a few years ago for my Yahoo show, where we did a 'Where Are They Now?' with Claudia Wells, aka the original Jennifer Parker.

Now onto my next build!

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

I learned about this site from reddit. I came because I want to start a costume project. I've always wanted to do batman but what I really want to do is Commander Shepard since it's not quite as common and for the batman I'd want to design my own custom take on the armor rather than replicating a current one.

I have no experience in costuming but I'm good with my hands and have done models and other creative projects so I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here who actually knows what they're doing hahaha.

Been following the forums for a year or so now after the local smooth-on distributor let me know about the site. Finally have a workshop in my new place so its time to start working on those costumes I've always wanted to do. All the users here are an inspiration and i'm in awe of what i see!

Hello everyone. I was a member years and years ago, never really contributed, I just admired everyone's work. Lost that email address and decided to just make a new account. Wife and I are huge Star Wars fans and I've collected comic books for almost 35 or so years now.

We are going to our first comic con this July. (Tampa Bay Comic Con) and decided to do it the proper way and dress up.
The wife is going as Arkham Asylum Harley Quinn(the dress version). And I am going as TDK Joker, full 6 piece outfit.
Costumes are almost done and I am working on making some props for the little lady. Trying my luck at making a Cork gun and if I have time a giant hammer.

Well that's about it, look forward to participating more on these forums and maybe I'll see a few of you at the Tampa Bay Comic Con.

Whoops, I started out over in costumes and missed this thread.

I've admired people's work here for a few years now, but only recently registered. I love making things, or more accurately, half making things before moving on to another project. I'm working on a Mad Max costume that I'm totally going to finish this time, no really, for real.

Hello to everyone im Chris.

I am a US NAVY vet honorably discharged after 7yrs 11 months 17 days. Love Iron Man so a year and a half ago i looked up how to make his helmet which led me here. I love seeing everyone else's work and ow everyone helps each other out and support, and I said why not try and build his mk 3 suit. I am doing this with no computer so its hard for me to find files and print them and resize on my own but i wont let it stop me. I have been drawing since I was a child and finding put about pepakura it is like bringing a drawing to life. So to all those who have been doing this for a long time and those just starting out like me do what you do a continue to create to your hearts content.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

My name is Siri. I am from the Netherlands. We don't have that much conventions here, Mainly manga. :( I have never made any props or costumes in my life but me and my friend from school are going to make some for an convention next year. I have never been to an convention before.

I'm an huge fan of:

-Marvel
-Doctor Who
-Disney
-Once Upon a Time
-Harry Potter
-Etc.

I am going to next years concention as Cruella de ville, the Disney villain fron 101 dolmations, the first day and the second day as the 10th Doctor (genderbend) probably.

I hope that in the future I can make my own marvel costume and go to larger conventions because I love them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back