1/24 scale Ralph McQuarrie concept X-Wing scratchbuild

REL

Sr Member
Just messing around with my vac former today and I made a form for this concept X Wing then did a few pulls. I have to make it in two halves since I couldn't get a sharp enough edge on the back.

rmx_01.jpg

Based on this picture here.

rmx2.jpg

Thanks for looking

Sweet! :cool

I love that McQuarrie painting. The design is really cool too. The Grant McCune models, very early conceptual models, are great as well. I think he actually did use a Formula One kit for the fuselage.

imageuploadimageg.jpg

Very cool. Are you planning on kitbashing at all or staying smooth?

That pull does not disappoint. Can't wait to see more.

This is so cool!

I've been thinking it would be cool to have/make a kit on this subject in both 1/24 and 1/48 scales for years

Any chances of this being a kit?

how about a McQuarrie Concept Snow-Speeder too ! ( in 1/24 & 1/48)

This is going to be a nice build!

M

I'm not sure what's considered official Star Wars universe "canon"

but I always thought this version of the X-wing (with it's 1/2 semi-circle engines) would make a good "predecessor" to the T-65 Incom fighter...
say, call it the T-60.

It would be nice to feature them in the Clone Wars animated saga as they have done with other "un-used" artist's concepts.

just a "nerdy" thought

Damn! Beat me to it.:cry I started mine about 6 months ago but got side tracked by my Tie Bomber build. Yours is looking good though, great start.:thumbsup

Last edited:
Hey your supposed to be trying to break your neck in
the back yard not building models!!!:lol Looks great so far
you should be able to form the big engines up on top as well!!:thumbsup

"Formula one"?

It's a dragster body, Karl. Old news. Keep up with current events.

If you want to hang out with the "SS Forum Crew" make sure you are up on your info.

This is a tough room. We aren't like those "general modeling" wussies. This is hard core model-building. Most beginners are killed-off by their first year.

:lol

Sweet! :cool

I love that McQuarrie painting. The design is really cool too. The Grant McCune models, very early conceptual models, are great as well. I think he actually did use a Formula One kit for the fuselage.

imageuploadimageg.jpg

Just to drop in a note on Ralph's behalf - while many of us grew up thinking of everything in the painting as his design, Ralph would be quick to point out that the X-Wing was Joe Johnston's concept. As was the TIE Fighter, and even the Death Star surface detail concepts in this particular production painting. Ralph was taking the diverse design concepts George had chosen (in this case Joe's) and incorporating them into a dynamic setting to serve as inspiration to the rest of the crew who were tasked with realizing these images in three dimensions.

While Ralph certainly had his share of designs brought to life in the films, he was not the only person contributing amazing work.

John Scoleri
co-author
The Art of Ralph McQuarrie

Just to drop in a note on Ralph's behalf - while many of us grew up thinking of everything in the painting as his design, Ralph would be quick to point out that the X-Wing was Joe Johnston's concept. As was the TIE Fighter, and even the Death Star surface detail concepts in this particular production painting. Ralph was taking the diverse design concepts George had chosen (in this case Joe's) and incorporating them into a dynamic setting to serve as inspiration to the rest of the crew who were tasked with realizing these images in three dimensions.

While Ralph certainly had his share of designs brought to life in the films, he was not the only person contributing amazing work.

John Scoleri
co-author
The Art of Ralph McQuarrie

Thanks for that history on this. I got the Star Wars sketchbook with Joe's drawings, that's going to be a big help in this.

I'm working out what the rear fuselage will look like, from the painting it looks like it's a half round on top, so I'll go with that for now and see how it shapes out.

rmx_02.jpg

Yes I do, but that drawing doesn't work out with the first painting 3 dimensionally. It's almost like it's two separate X Wings.

But I will be using the butt plate from that perspective and it gives me an idea how the engines mount.

Yes, it also has 2 extra humps underneath that are not there in the front view.
I was looking through kitscans today and it resembles the X15 fuselage. Sleek and chunky at all the same time.

Looking good Rich, I had al kinds of problems trying to realize the McQ snow speeder, some of the lines where impossible to work out. a real HF. Ireally wanted to get it right but just didn't know what right was, looks like you've got this in hand though. I'm already painting it in my head, fancy doing a run of pulls some day when its all over? No pressure
just getting in first if it happens. go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on Please? (Father Ted for those that dont know)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back