New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I really liked it. The Thom Thom was worthy of an eye roll, but still made me smile just for the "Did they really just do that?".

Probably my favorite bit were the 2 Teegan references. A nice nod to Baker's last story & the 5th Doctor's era.

I really liked it. The Thom Thom was worthy of an eye roll, but still made me smile just for the "Did they really just do that?".

I knew they were doing something with GPS from the way Thomas said the directions but the Thom Thom reference went right over my head until just now.

All in all, I liked the episode and thought it was great seeing Diana Rigg, which I didn't know was her until the end.

I just don't get the appeal of Jenny and the Silurian whose name I can't be bothered to remember. Strax has a personality at least. The Silurians from the two-parter had at least some personality. Jenny and whats-her-scales are bland and get blander the more I see them. I'm not sure if they're even worth putting up with just to get more screen time for Strax.

I wish we could have Strax as a companion, I'd enjoy the heck out of that.

I dont't get Jenny/Lizard Lady. Even Strax was pretty lame in this episode.

I didn't think it was the worst episode of the re-launched series, but it was just 'okay'. I think there were some great moments, but they were tempered by the trio being pretty boring.

428467_586952981337609_1459368278_n.jpg

I feared the entire episode would be the adventures of two characters I don't care about and Strax, thankfully the Doctor did show up. Phew. It wasn't bad for a Gatiss episode.

Yup, also not a Gatiss fan but could have been worse. At least the setup was reasonable. What became of the dead 'investigator' dude's female partner, did I miss something there? Payoff was lousy as usual, of course. A whole lotta loud music, shouting and running around isn't a valid substitute for plot.

I just don't get the appeal of Jenny and the Silurian whose name I can't be bothered to remember.

Vastra. I want to like them, I really do. It'd help if the production could finally get over the whole "OMG pre-Cretaceous reptile lady with lesbian human partner in Victorian London OMG OMG OMG!!!" thing and starts actually giving us some real characterisation instead of that flannel.

I wish we could have Strax as a companion, I'd enjoy the heck out of that.

QFT, QFT, QF-M-F-T...

It would seem that I'm in the minority here in that I actually rather like Madame Vastra and Jenny but the lack of background info on them does bother me. Are they really from the Victorian era or are they misplaced, how did Jenny get into a relationship with Mme. Vastra, and how did they get Strax as a butler/bodyguard/servant?

It would seem that I'm in the minority here in that I actually rather like Madame Vastra and Jenny but the lack of background info on them does bother me. Are they really from the Victorian era or are they misplaced, how did Jenny get into a relationship with Mme. Vastra, and how did they get Strax as a butler/bodyguard/servant?

They are from the Victorian era. The Doctor helped Vastra when the area she was hibernating in, in the London Underground, was disturbed by workers building the Tunnels. The Doctor kept her from killing the workers & showed her a better way to live. Jenny is just the house-maid Vastra took in after Jenny's family kicked her out for being a lesbian. The relationship developed from there. Strax became their butler after Demon's Run. He had been serving out a penance put on him by the Doctor, somewhere either in the future or just another planet. The Doctor was forcing him to be a nurse. After Demon's Run, he was taken in by Vastra & Jenny & thus the Paternoster Gang was born.

They are from the Victorian era. The Doctor helped Vastra when the area she was hibernating in, in the London Underground, was disturbed by workers building the Tunnels. The Doctor kept her from killing the workers & showed her a better way to live. Jenny is just the house-maid Vastra took in after Jenny's family kicked her out for being a lesbian. The relationship developed from there. Strax became their butler after Demon's Run. He had been serving out a penance put on him by the Doctor, somewhere either in the future or just another planet. The Doctor was forcing him to be a nurse. After Demon's Run, he was taken in by Vastra & Jenny & thus the Paternoster Gang was born.

Thanks, that helps a lot to fill in the blanks. Since the Snowmen episode was the first time that I've seen the gang I really had no idea of who they were and what their backstory was.

Sorry. I have loved the new series. I loved the old Tom Baker as a kid. If they put kids on the tardis I am going to stop watching. Clara was bad enough.

I really liked this episode because of the relationship between the daughter and the crazy mother. It is one thing to be able to write a villain that wants to destroy time and the universe and everything, but there was something really special about the evil of a mother who can manipulate and abuse her daughter that way. I don't know, I just found it little bit more impressive than usual.

I'm so disappointed in this season so far. Seeing Vastra, Jenny and Strax has been the highlight of it for me so far. I really WANT to like Clara, but I just can't seem to find a way. She's just so.... UGH! When she says "the hug was nice" after the Doctor spent almost a full minute yelling at her and making wild accusations, I was completely and entirely done.

I miss Amy and Rory. :(

I'm so disappointed in this season so far. Seeing Vastra, Jenny and Strax has been the highlight of it for me so far. I really WANT to like Clara, but I just can't seem to find a way. She's just so.... UGH! When she says "the hug was nice" after the Doctor spent almost a full minute yelling at her and making wild accusations, I was completely and entirely done.

I miss Amy and Rory. :(

I have to agree, I really liked Clara when they first introduced her and then in the Snowmen episode but since she's become a companion I find that I'm not liking her as much, nor the series for that matter. I haven't seen much of the Matt Smith episodes but the few that I've seen with Amy & Rory, with the exception of their last episode, I've enjoyed more than the recent episodes with Clara. There's something that I just can't put my finger on that I really haven't quite liked about the Clara episodes so far. Maybe it's because there's supposed to be this big mystery behind her that the Doctor can't quite figure out but they don't really deal with it much in any of the episodes, they just treat her as just another companion instead of adding to or explaining a bit more of the mystery behind her.

Sorry. I have loved the new series. I loved the old Tom Baker as a kid. If they put kids on the tardis I am going to stop watching. Clara was bad enough.

Well, they HAVE put kids on the Tardis. So I guess you can stop watching/posting in this thread now. :)

"I swear, if they experiment with new ideas i'm going to stop watching! I mean it. Everything must stay the same. EVERYTHING MUST STAY THE SAAAAAME!!!"

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back