IG-88 Build (Full Body) - FINSHED! Pg. 6

Re: IG-88 Build (Full Body) - Feet Added!

There's a pic in today's Entertainment Weekly of Kirschner next to IG88. I'd say just under 8 ft sounds right, assuming he's about 6 ft.

There's a pic in today's Entertainment Weekly of Kirschner next to IG88. I'd say just under 8 ft sounds right, assuming he's about 6 ft.

I haven't seen it because it's not on store shelves here yet.
If it's anything like this pic...
http://www.officialpix.com/estore/proddetail.asp?prod=OT-BW-127
.. then Kirsch is still on the step above IG-88 and well in front of him.
Exact height depends if you include the feet or not too.

I haven't seen it because it's not on store shelves here yet.
If it's anything like this pic...
http://www.officialpix.com/estore/proddetail.asp?prod=OT-BW-127
.. then Kirsch is still on the step above IG-88 and well in front of him.
Exact height depends if you include the feet or not too.

I think thats the exact photo thats in the issue. I think that the photo on officialpix crops out boba fett on the right.

But wait, don't we know Prowse's height in costume? Can't we extrapolate IG-88's height that way? It seems like that might be the way to go.

But wait, don't we know Prowse's height in costume? .

Haha ! This is the funniest thing I have ever heard anyone say ever.

The correct answer is: Yes- we know the height of Prowse in costume............ all of at least 3 different heights.......depending on who you ask.............

Haha ! This is the funniest thing I have ever heard anyone say ever.

The correct answer is: Yes- we know the height of Prowse in costume............ all of at least 3 different heights.......depending on who you ask.............

That is the way things work around here, I suppose. Ha.

Skaught, the SW Visual Dictionary has a good 3/4 profile sort of photo of IG-88 that has some decent detail of his torso and bandolier. He has some grills and whatnot that doesn't appear in most other photos.

But wait, don't we know Prowse's height in costume? Can't we extrapolate IG-88's height that way? It seems like that might be the way to go.

We know the exact height of IG-88's head so we can get his height pretty darn close - as I said it's around 8 feet. No other vague measurement (such as the height of other characters) will help any further.

The problem is every photo cuts off the bottom of him, he's on a step, and the actual droid prop has no feet.

We know the exact height of IG-88's head so we can get his height pretty darn close - as I said it's around 8 feet. No other vague measurement (such as the height of other characters) will help any further.

The problem is every photo cuts off the bottom of him, he's on a step, and the actual droid prop has no feet.

Yes, and I think that once a well-proportioned torso is made, the limbs will be easy to figure out.

Spent the weekend mucking around with the shoulders. Surprising how much time that took. I had hoped to be a lot further along by tonight. Oh well! I stuck a head on it so you'd get a better picture.

skeleton.jpg

Here are the shoulder end caps, and a tube part that goes on the left leg:

shouldercaps.jpg

Scott

Nice job on the feet, Scott. I admire your creative approach to making a lathe. "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: IG-88 Build (Full Body) - Shoulders Pg. 3

Looking really good.

I too agree with Lonepigeon. He is pushing 8'. I was doing some scaling on my head and realized it was going to be a challenge getting him in my house. I guess I would have to cut a hole in the floor or ceiling.

Perhaps the correct height is what has not been mastered yet to capturing IG88.

Wow! Watching with interest as to how this build comes together. I've been wanting to try this myself for a while now. I have to agree with the height as well. I've seen pics of the one from the IGBuilders group and the legs just look stumpy and to short to me. Just my 2 cents on that so no disrespect meant to anyone.

No new pics, but what I've done recently is make the inverted "Y" pipe thing that goes on the left leg, cut some circles for the chest, and build the wood pieces to shape the "armpits". Once I attach the armpits on the PVC pipes I'll skin it with plastic. Then I'll cut notches out of the circles and slide those upwards onto the chest.

Scott

I finished the "armpits" and attached them to the pipes last night.

armpits1.jpg

armpits2.jpg

The "armpits" (best term I could come up with!) have what appear to be cut out, slanting upwards holes in them, so I built that into the 'pits. After I screwed these into the pipe, I cut a piece of plastic that will wrap around these and the top section of the pipes. I cut a hole for the neck to go through.

wrap1.jpg

After this, I used a heat gun to bend the plastic downwards. I was concerned at first since I wasn't getting a perfect curve at the top, but then I remembered the top will be completely covered by the shoulder pads so no big deal there. After bending them downwards, I cut the plastic upwards along the sides of the center pipe. This let me wrap the plastic around the bottom of the armpits and nail them into place. I need to trim up the edges of the plastic to be flush, and then bondo the edges and bottom seam. I'm not done yet so no pics of that.

I have already cut a couple circles out of MDF for the chest "arc". I'll cut a section out of them and slide them up over the plastic from below.

More to come!

Scott

Re: IG-88 Build (Full Body) - Armpits! Pg. 4

very cool...Are you keeping up with cost and items on the build . I look forward to doing the same.Greta project

Re: IG-88 Build (Full Body) - Armpits! Pg. 4

very cool...Are you keeping up with cost and items on the build . I look forward to doing the same.Greta project

Not really. The most expensive part was the 4" 4-way PVC coupler. $17. Everything else is small and cheap, but it all ads up.

Scott

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back