Hammer Horror Dracula Art - Already Made?

I think it looks great. You're doing a great job. I can only imagine how much of a pain it is doing it in photoshop using nothing more than the screen capture from the movie. At one point I was thinking of doing it on a light table and tracing an 11 X 17 inch printout of the screen capture using my old Rapidograph black ink pens. But It fell by the wayside like many of my pet projects.

Thanks man, much appreciated. I'm sure I'm making tons of mistakes along the way, but I'm trying my best to trace it as it is in the screen capture... and that's not the greatest, so a lot of trial and error.

And yeah... with so much red... it's starting to flicker in my eyes, when trying to draw the lines... maybe I should switch to a softer, less aggressive color. I just chose red because I was clearly able to distinguish it from the background.

I'll continue working on it and hopefully it'll turn out pretty neat.

Actually... that's not bad at all. If some of the smooching out towards the sides got fixed up more, where it sorta bleeds out instead of being sharp lines, then it would be much better.

What I was most surprised about the artwork when I really started getting into it, was the amount of "noise" they added all around the face. In most screen captures the whole top is fairly smooched and you can't really make out all the white lines... and honestly, it looks better darker in that area. It's really rather extreme and I feel it overpowers the artwork of the face... so I've been constantly debating with myself whether I should outline it as it really was carved or whether how I feel it would look better.

Anyway... here's the latest I managed. It's a few months old and is a combination of two versions.
DraculaPainting-Progress14.jpg

Last edited:
I just cropped it, resized it and ran it through a few filters. I agree about the 'smooched' areas at the edges - they really need sharpened up a bit more.

Honestly, I like your version better, because the edges and the face is more clearly defined compared to mine, where the incorporation of the faint lines and such fudge the whole thing. I'm going to use yours as a template to clean things up once I've drawn in all the lines. Currently, I just feel my version looks "busy" and full of noise. The idealized, simplified version may work better.

Really sorry for the lack of updates and the bad links. I'll hopefully get back to this soon and re-upload everything to Imageshack after Photobucket's seppuku.

No. The way I worked hurt my eyes way too much, so I had to take a break... and then never came back to it. May pick it up again eventually. The main issues are all the details around the head being too fussy in the reference images to really see what's going on, so it was a lot of trial and error.

This is as far as I got.

Dracula-Painting-Progress14.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back