Hammer Horror Dracula Art - Already Made?

Progress update 3:
DraculaPainting-Progress3.jpg

Progress update 5:
DraculaPainting-Progress5.jpg

May go longer between the updates, though, currently just recording the progress as I take a bit at a time, then take a break, and then taking a little bit more the next time I'm at the computer. Unsure whether you want to see each single step.

Anyway, I need to slim some of the lines a bit, as I left them too wide compared to how they should look. I'm just tracing this section by section right on top of the actual picture I copied and pasted together, shown in the first post. It's slow and tedious work... but I like how it's progressing slowly, but surely. Originally I had started tracing the black lines, but realizing that there's more black in the artwork than white, I switched to tracing that instead. Will offer a print-friendly pdf file for anyone interested when done.

Er..Count... me in too !
Always loved this rendition.
Too few Hammer props around.
(Just finished listening to the Vampire Lovers commentary, where they say they set fire to the actual commisioned picture of Ingrid Pitt, insted of a copy) Aaaarrrgh!

It's funny... I asked about this... then forgot... and it wasn't until I was cleaning out my temp pictures folder a few days ago that I stumbled upon the screen captures and the copy and paste full picture... and having worked on the Vader Helmet Lineage Chart I knew that I could probably do this in photoshop instead of printing it out, drawing it by hand, then scanning it in and cleaning it up.

The fact that I can work with a transparent layer right on top of the actual picture without having to worry about mistakes or smearing... makes ALL the difference.

Progress update 7:
DraculaPainting-Progress7.jpg

Didn't get very far last night. Had to redo the area as I had miscalculated how thick I should draw the shapes and lines - turned out too thick initially, so erased most of it and started over... which is why it isn't much new in this one. Getting to the harder to make out areas, so there's a lot of interpretation and downright freehand drawing going on in those areas, based on hard to see scribbles and shapes.

Decided to skip an update because I wasn't satisfied with the tracing. It is difficult to determine what to include and what not to draw in. I may have to go over the whole thing again to include the faint lines as well that is clearly caused by a lesser depth of the carving in certain areas to create fainter details. Currently, I'm sticking with the solid details... and will see if I feel up to doing the rest. It's certainly an interpretation at best.

Progress update 10:
DraculaPainting-Progress10.jpg

Progress update 11:
DraculaPainting-Progress11.jpg

Holy crap his brow is difficult to get to looking right. I previously worked really close up, but with the brow, things were just too fussy, so I pulled nearly out to 100% view so I could estimate the brow lines and what to ignore in the pixelated mess that was going on in the screen capture, likely from the zoom-in on the picture. May even clean up some of those ragged lines on the perimeter of his face, as I doubt the actual carving looked like that.

Unsure of this current progress. It's two progress pictures combined, where some was removed from the previous update and redone, but still looked presentable when combined, as well as separately.

Progress update 12:
DraculaPainting-Progress13.jpg

I'm honestly thinking it's getting too busy, but when watching the movie, it does look that busy, however, I think my tracing, 'caused by the low quality cut and paste job made from the zoom-in on the picture in one of the movies is flawed.

I'll concentrate on the face and then see if I want to redo the perimeter details, the hair and the coat and collar later. The face is difficult enough... and I'm actually getting headaches now trying to trace this, as it's so fudged and obscured and unclear.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back