Pip-Boy 3000 Build-up (pic heavy)

I've been reading this thread since it started and I must say your work is absolutely astonishing!
I might be interested in a casting, but can't post in the junkyard yet.
Just wondering if you could measure the dimensions in the empty slot meant for the screen?
Maybe I am able to use my android device inside of it..

The dimensions of the screen are 3.25 inches wide by 2.5 inches high.

And, because I'd mentioned a long time ago that I was going to measure this, the interior circumference of the Pip-Boy is 9.25 inches in the back and 8.25 inches in the front/wrist area.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. This project was my most difficult undertaking to date and it feels so good to be done with it and to have the result not be a steaming pile of poo. There are a few things I wish worked better - foremost of which is that the audio occasionally cuts out because I have a less then stellar soldering connection for one of the volume knobs wires - so I may eventually build a second one, but overall I have been very pleased with how good this one has turned out.

SpankyMcJedi, sorry to induce the flashbacks! At least since the game is so awesome, they should be good ones! :lol

Excellent work man. I never did finish playing through that game and I suddenly have the urge to do so...

If you are going to be making casts I'd definitely be interested.

The work that was put into this is amazing , actually the whole forum has been bursting with really great work for the last few months, but this piece is really out of this world.

Thank you for sharing (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Thats truly amazing great job guy. Now you need to make a Brotherhood suit to go with it

That would be truly epic!

I just had to have one of these considering I spend 200 hours on the game. Well, actually 199 hours and 24 minutes. Still, I feel I should actually have a pip-boy on my wrist.

As I am a slacker and do not yet have the count to post in the Junkyard, I will do so here!

Got my kit today Skruffy! Haven't laid it all out yet but from a cursory examination, I am very pleased. The casting is strong and clean, couldn't be happier. I am thinking about kitbashing a slim 3.5" digital photo frame for the screen instead. If it seems feasable I will post details. The frame in question is 14.99 at Frys, so if it works, it will be a cheap upgrade!

I don't have enough posts to post in the Junkyard either, so I will also do it here. I picked up my kit at the post office today. Very satisfied with the casting and the kit pieces. Looking forwards to working on this as I just finished my ANH Luke Lighsaber last night.

I got mine last Tuesday. I would have posted sooner, but I have had my head in the Pip-Boy for the last week! The cast was nice and sturdy as described and of course the detail is awesome. Skruffy, well done my friend! :thumbsup

Just want to say a huge thanks to Skruffy for an amazing kit!

Seriously its such a clean cast on the outside, not one flaw was found and nice a thick casting on the inside so you can modify as you wish. That and this is the first time ive done anything with leds thats worked and that was thanks to Skruffy helping me through email(i did an attempt years back and melted them??:p)

Thanks man! A true gent to deal with
IMG_5761.jpg

Dude, that looks fantastic! You really did it justice with your build. The paint and weathering look fantastic. Very well done!

Don't forget to add the radiation meter printout to the top left, though! :)

+1 on that, it looks great! The paint job turned out amazing. Mine is still in progress. I'll hopefully have a build thread up sometime this week. This kit is extremely well done, I'm just having some trouble fitting it to my arm. I'll be making an expansion strip out of polymer clay to give it an extra 1/2" and some extra space on the inside for the electronics.

Here's where it was at when I got it:
CIMG0137.jpg

And where it's at now:
CIMG0160.jpg

And one more sneak peak at a mod I'm doing:
CIMG0151.jpg

I'm having a lot of fun on this one, and making a complete mess doing it. Hopefully I'll have it finished in time for SDCC. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back