Pip-Boy 3000 Build-up (pic heavy)

Unfortunately the game kept crashing on me so I never made much past the supermarket but the work you've done on this replica is fantastic!:thumbsup

Nice job, mate! I'm working on my own version based off the clock that came in the survival edition. For what it's worth, there's some digital photo frames that fit quite nicely in the slot for the screen, and with a little photoshop magic, you can take away any remnants of the Pip-Boy from the screenshots. Yours is far more practical though, the battery life on that bugger must be amazing! Anyways, I didn't come here to ogle, I came with one specific question...

Where in the devil did you find little orange LED covers that fit the Pip-Boy so perfectly? I've been looking for months since my original buttons went missing, and those look beautiful!

This is totally awesome, I was tempted to get one of the clocks before I saw this now not so sure as it wouldn't be a scratch on this. Amazing work.

Where in the devil did you find little orange LED covers that fit the Pip-Boy so perfectly? I've been looking for months since my original buttons went missing, and those look beautiful!

I picked them up for both of ours at Fry's.

I was wondering where you picked up that LED screen. I'm definitely interested in the Pip-Boy (and would honestly consider wearing it casually occasionally), but that screen has REALLY piqued my interest, because I'm working on three different projects that could all make use of it.

Hello Children! This is Three Dawg...

It is long past time for me to revisit this thread to bring you all some good updates.

My last post covered things being mostly done, it just needed a hinge and some other detail work done. Well, here's what it looks like now that it is complete:
DSC_2728.jpg

Here's what it looks like in the dark. This was taken with a 1/2 second shutter delay to show off that beautiful post-apocalyptic glow:
DSC_2726.jpg

Here's a close-up of the latch method. I thought about using velcro at first, then I found this wonderful stuff. It's a 3M product that works just like velcro, except that it is all plastic so it won't wear out over time like velcro does. It also doesn't flex like velcro and has a better resistance to lateral force than velcro. It works so well that after I showed this to one of my other Vault 101 buddies he went out and bought 4 boxes of the stuff to both re-do his Pip-Boy and for all his other projects where he was considering using velcro.
DSC_2784.jpg

Here's how it looks when it's open and on my arm. You can see that I used 2 elastic straps to secure the bottom half and the top half swings open on the hinge to clamshell down. This also works really well for all the times I find myself opening it up to show people the electronics inside.
DSC_2787.jpg

And here it is on my arm, closed:
DSC_2788.jpg

Another look at the hinge. To attach this, I used my dremel to carve out a slot in the top of the PB3K that the hinge slides into. It took some very careful work because the tops of these are not super thick. But once I had my slot, I just dabbed in to 2 part epoxy and slid the hinge in. It works and fits beautifully.
DSC_2790.jpg

And one last look down the barrel, now that it is complete:
DSC_2792.jpg

Now the good news! I have an interest thread up in the Junkyard: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=84938

If there is sufficient interest, I will begin ordering the materials and parts and I can start production of these in limited batches starting in the next couple of weeks.

I've been reading this thread since it started and I must say your work is absolutely astonishing!
I might be interested in a casting, but can't post in the junkyard yet.
Just wondering if you could measure the dimensions in the empty slot meant for the screen?
Maybe I am able to use my android device inside of it..

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back