THE PACIFIC : Official discussion thread.

agent5

Sr Member
After so many years of waiting it is finally here. I am counting down the minutes until tonight. Thought I'd start this thread to discuss the series as it unfolds.

Last edited:
Re: THE PACIFIC : The offiicial discussion thread.

Also cant wait for it, Grand father served in the Pacific and heard stories about it, about time there story got told. having served in the sand box, going through this current war. I cant imagine what it would be like to live through that experience.

WOW! Nobody else watched this?

It's a different structure than Band of Brothers but they kept the same feel throughout. I kinda thought it would mostly be getting acquainted with the characters but they really jumped right in. Overall, I liked the episode quite a bit.

I'm waiting for Blu-Ray, and will probably watch at a friends house on a day or two delay to sate the hunger. I killed my HBO a few months ago because there's nothing of value (EXCEPT THIS SHOW, GAH) on it for me any longer. Well, True Blood, too. But still - not worth the price.

Watched and loved . .all though kinda slow. We've got a local here that's suppossed to be one of these gys, but not sure which.

Will definatly be watching!!

Want to see it, but no HBO, the occasional show like this doesn't keep me subscribing when I know it will be on disc.

If they offered a discount on the disc if you had HBO during the broadcast it would hook a bunch of people.

same here no HBO.. question though do they have the female nurses in there during the landings? I knew of one woman who was one of those nurses..

I thought the first episode was good, but a little on the slow side. Probably just building a foundation for what follows. The battle for Guadalcanal also started slowly as well.

I was a bit disappointed at how short the first episode was. I was expecting similar lengths to Band of Brothers.

As a boot, we had these stories and tactic drilled into us. It's rather something to see them being played out on the screen. I hope that people will be able to see just how similar our enemy is today to that of our then Jap enemy and what it will take to win. Those Marines really did earn the title!

Hope this does well and Good Night Chesty; wherever you are!

Shawn

Good article in Parade Magazine from one of the guys who was there. He stated that "The war in Europe was different in that, They knew to win one side would have to force the surrender of the other. In the Pacific theater, there would be no victory until one side Annhiliated the other." He also talked about having to shoot wounded Japanese, as usually they had a grenade hidden to try to take a couple more soldiers with them. Terrible, but necessary.

Just watched a History in HD series on the pacific war, so it's interesting to see it played out dramatically, and so far they've remained extremely faithful to actual facts. Taking the Marine perspective, not knowing the Navy was getting the hell beat out of it, and waking up to find they'd left in a hurry... must have been a humbling experience.

My grandfather was a Marine fighter pilot in W W II and he was stationed all over the south pacific. We have tons of pictures of him on random Atolls all over the place and I am beyond exciting for the series and really am into it so far. I cant help but to think every time I watched a plane fly over head in that show, that may have been one of the battles my grandfather was in.

gramps.jpg

indeed, been waiting for this series, ever since Band of bros ended, and they were talking about doing a series about the pacific. I love the changes to the BOB format, with it being like a continuation of the series, thus the inclusion of the hometown backgrounds, and the skipping of boot camp.
The most striking detail in the series that i haven't seen in any other iteration of the pacific theater is the number of Japanese bodies on the beach after the battle. I love the symmetry to the american soldiers on the beach in Sav. priv ryan...

I was especially moved by the 'torturing' of the panicked Japanese soldier as he just stood there and let the soldiers pick him apart piece by piece. and the discovery of the 'kokeshi' doll (missing child) in the japanese soldiers pack... heartbreaking...

Definitely an interesting POV to the story so far. Thoroughly enjoyed it and certainly agree w/ the "annihilate the other" comment.

Honestly, I couldn't believe the episode went by so fast!!

I hadn't seen it yet. hopefully the first episode will be available to D/l today or in the next couple of days

I was especially moved by the 'torturing' of the panicked Japanese soldier as he just stood there and let the soldiers pick him apart piece by piece. and the discovery of the 'kokeshi' doll (missing child) in the japanese soldiers pack... heartbreaking...

Those scenes were gut wrenching to watch. Definitely had me tearing up (hey, I can admit it). I'm glad it's not glorifying the war but instead showing it in its ugly truth.

I was beyond excited for this series to start. Both my Grandfathers served with the U.S. Navy in WWII and were both involved in many of the battles in all the atolls. It's a part of history that's always facinated me (probably because of my family's personal connection to it).

I loved Band of Brothers and its looking like this is going to be just as great!

Just watched through this this morning, I was really pumped up during the credits even. It really had that Band of Brothers feel. I liked that they touched on the hometown thing, but not for long and then jumped into the action. I can see this will follow two different squads, since one of the buddies from the beginning was in the second group to arrive after the first battle.
Alot of good actors as well. I was excited to see Joey Ice Cream in there.

EDIT- Oh and wasn't the heart murmur guy, Tim from Jurassic Park?

Last edited:
Anyone realize that the one guy is the kid from jurassic park 1? Joseph Mazello..

I loved the first one too. Was hoping it'd be a 2hr kickoff but no such luck. IIRC, the original BOB episodes were generally an hour long. I think some maybe made it to 65 minutes. I'd guess they're trying to segment it for about an hour installments and that the final lenght will depend on the story being told with that episode, but we won't know for a few weeks I guess. Keep in mind BOB is shown frequently on commercial TV so they episodes are strung out to 90 minutes after adding commercials.

I caught a WWII special on the history channel after seeing part one of this, too.

Most interesting part of the history channel episode is that they explained why we were drawn into the pacific conflict which, was a surprise to me because I can't recall ever hearing the rationale before. I'm sure it was condensed, but essentially, they attacked us for oil. They started invading a couple place near them and as a result we embargoed oil and airplane fuel to them. They had a plan to take over a big oil filed somewhere in the south pacific near indonesia. To keep us from stopping their takeover of those oil fields, the decided to take out our main fleet in the pacific so they'd have no opposition.

I'd never heard that as the explanation before. The history classes I took seemed to all start with Pearl Harbor and never mentioned why the attack occured in the first place.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back