Batman Begins DEMON Work In Progress..

Terrific work. :thumbsup
Kinda' looks like how Bruce Wayne might feel with a hangover. :p

I'm also interested in what type of sculpting clay you used?

Are you self taught?

<div class='quotetop'>(Red Five @ Jul 22 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]1285700[/snapback]</div>
Terrific work. :thumbsup
Kinda' looks like how Bruce Wayne might feel with a hangover. :p

I'm also interested in what type of sculpting clay you used?

Are you self taught?
[/b]

Thanks everyone... Been a little while since I updated this so figured it was time. :)

I really love Chavant Soft NSP...it's a great clay for organic sculpting, and for me I also use it for mechanical work also. Others may go with harder clays....but I'm pretty happy with Chavant Soft. Whatever your hardness preference, I suggest you check out Chavant because they've got a lot of different clays...

Chavant

And yes, I'm self taught so that means I've wasted a lot of money making mistakes in the past...and some even now a days.... :cry but it's always going to be a learning experience. As long as I'm having fun, mistakes or no mistakes I'll always push forward. :)

Here are some of the latest ones...You can clearly see which of the two sides is still needing some work. I thought some of the dramatically shaded pics (LOL that's a funny sentence) looked cool so I just uploaded all the ones I took for now.

shadingup7.jpg

shadingup6.jpg

shadingup5.jpg

shadingup4.jpg

shadingup3.jpg

shadingup2.jpg

shadingup1.jpg

This will be a wearable prosthetic and there is also the chest....and in time I'll do a full suit even if we never really got one in the movie past the waist. :)

Enjoy.

David

Thanks guys.. :)

Started with the final details...will be cleaning this up and looking to finish him up now.

2006_0920new9-200014.jpg

Charred neck will blend into the charred chest...

ugh4.jpg

uhg3.jpg

uhg2.jpg

uhg1.jpg

Should be a fun suit to wear. :)

Critiques welcome. I'll be molding this soon so anything you think I need to add or remove just speak up. :)

David

Happy to say this one is done. :)

Here are a few finished sculpt pics...

2006_09219-210003.jpg

2006_09219-210001.jpg

2006_09219-210006.jpg

2006_09219-210021.jpg

2006_09219-210022.jpg

And here's a cool PS job done by one of our own. The skin tones are very close to what was used on screen and very similar to what I'll be going for when I'm detailing this guy...

demon3.jpg

This whole project is meant to be a wearable costume...prosthetic head mask...

Now the torso needs to wind down also...I'll have a few of those up shortly as well.

Thanks again everyone.

<div class='quotetop'>(jedistine @ Sep 20 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]1323394[/snapback]</div>
David,
as always, it looks great.
[/b]

Thanks Jeff and check your emails. Let me have the date of that show...let's see what we can do..:)

David

Got some work done on the torso also.

We dont really see the body of the DemonBat, and quite honestly I really wanted something 'dramatic'...something with more umph. than what was actually used on Bale.

...so I went totally custom...big time..:)

This will be worn after all so I went a bit crazy on the details.
The entire thing is totally from my imagination...LOL that was funny to say. I just kept the same texturing and patterns that started in the head part and now have worked their way into the torso. Particularly the charred neck area.

This is HEAVILY influenced by the SPAWN movie costume.

You can see a vague chest bat design that will be much less noticable when done...and look at where the belt buckle would be...you'll see a bat's head and assuming it's possible to see in the pics the wings look like they're on fire and sourround the cod and side areas of that region. Again, something that the movie SPAWN costume really had going on well.

Water Clay sculpt...5 hours give or take up to this point.
Love to hear your toughts and suggestions here. :)

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/2006_1002firstpcs20007.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/2006_1002firstpcs20006.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/2006_1002firstpcs20002.jpg[/image]

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/2006_1002firstpcs20001.jpg[/image]

I'll have the gauntlet spikes directly on the forearm. Almost as if they were bone coming out from the arm or even something that's been fused to his skin.

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/UDesigns1/Universaldesigns3/tso4.jpg[/image]

And lastly, a cool coloring in PS by one of our own here to show the general direction I've taken with this...he was also kind enough to paste the head onto this...Fun Pic...

demonheadandtorso2.jpg

Again, the torso si totally custom in it's design. The movie costume didnt have spikes or web like veining going on at all...not to mention bats camoflauged into the design.

Feedback of any kind is welcome and appreciated...
Suggestions??...let's hear them.

David

I'll keep the chest bat symbol... Not sure how. But if you want I can make a sketch... If you are interested, of course.
:)

Ramiel,

I will have a very subtle bat logo sculpted on the chest but I want it to be real subtle...almost as if wrinkles form to make it or some of the burnt skin. As the demonbat it could be highlighted a million ways to show it there...but if I want to use this chest for other characters...and I will :) I dont want to have to worry about the bat chest logo. That's my current delema...At least, that's the way I'm looking at it now. Some people even suggested I sculpt up life like bat that would be stretched out onto the chest area....fitting into the look of the costume of course and I really like that idea too because it would simply be an add on...still, I'd Love to see your idea...like I said this is a work in progress so any suggestions are truly welcome... Post the sketch...:)

<div class='quotetop'>(Hotshot @ Oct 2 2006, 10:42 PM) [snapback]1330856[/snapback]</div>
How'd you smooth it? water?
I can't tell what kind of clay it is either.
Let me know.
Great work.
[/b]

This is water clay. Water clay needs to be kept moist or it will dry up and more than likely crumble into pieces.
Oil clays dont dry out.
To get areas smooth I use a number of water based mixtures from just regular tap water to water and alcohol or even water and dishwasher soap. Depending on the finish I want or how long I want an area to stay moist compared to another I'll use all sorts of different water based mixtures.
At the end of the day the sculpt needs to be wrapped in wet towels and sealed in a big bag to keep the air out. From that stand point it's a pain, but I really love working with it just the same.
Hope that helps.

:)

David

Beautiful work on the head. And I really like your concept for the torso. Very visceral.

A very subtle bat symbol on the chest is a fine idea. It could be formed by wrinkles, scar tissue, and veins, and so subtle that you have to see it in a certain light to recognize it fully.

Thanks for sharing this with us. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back