Production made SS X-wing up for auction...

Looks above board to me, more so the Ywing, as im pretty sure, that may be the Y that sits under the bench in the Chronicles soundstage image....odd though, the Y's hull seems two piece...so maybe an amalgamation of Hero and Pyro...or were Pyro Y's cast two piece.

Check the replaced plexi wing....that is soooooo cool!

lee

If the X is a replica, it's the best one I've ever seen. Pyro, of course. The cockpit looks built-in, the nose looks absolutely spot on. All the chips and panel lines seem to check out, though all my ref seems to show two parallel chips on the fuselage, not visible here. Would like to see more photos, though, before calling genuine, though there really is nothing from this angle that looks out. The imperfect covering of the primer (if that's what it is) on the leading wing edges, and the real-world randomness of the other breaks in the paint also seem to indicate authenticity. I think a faker would have to be extremely clever, first to build such a perfect form, the most perfect I've seen, and then to have the wit to present broken paintwork, and in such a real-world random way. The undamaged paint does look kind of clean and new, but maybe it's just been maintained well or given a good restoration.

Last edited:
I'll start the bidding at $100...

Another perspective is that if you can effectively rule OUT a Salzo, a CC, the licensed versions, or a Maxi-Brute, wouldn't that then (if a replica) suggest an as-of-yet-unheard-of fan-built model?

Be surprised (though its not impossible) that if this were the case, that we wouldn't know about it.

I'll start the bidding at $100...

Another perspective is that if you can effectively rule OUT a Salzo, a CC, the licensed versions, or a Maxi-Brute, wouldn't that then (if a replica) suggest an as-of-yet-unheard-of fan-built model?

Be surprised (though its not impossible) that if this were the case, that we wouldn't know about it.

$101

I'd certainly rule out CC, Salzo, Maxi-Brute, EFX... The fuselage and nose here are just perfect; it really does seem to have the true organic sweep of the ILM fuselage that's proving so elusive for replica-makers. If fan-made the guy must be a superhuman craftsman, and as you say, a very shy and retiring one!

Looks like they (whoever "they" are) removed all the original paint with some kind of thinner, kerosene, whatever......... I wonder why remove the original paint?

Looks like they (whoever "they" are) removed all the original paint with some kind of thinner, kerosene, whatever......... I wonder why remove the original paint?

One thing that I'm wondering is, when they say production made, do they mean that the whole x-wing was made as is for the production of ANH, or could this just be a set of pyro castings, or just a production cast fuselage that has been built up recently for sale. Like the castings that Beaz has.
I have no doubt that there is a degree of authenticity here in the fuselage. But the rest could be a recent build. I think we'll need more pics and info before anyone could say.

One thing is for certain. It would be awesome if someone here snagged this piece.

Dan

The X-wing looks to be a hero hull, split upper and lower hulls. The wings are original pyro.
As for the y wing, ive seen those same parts some where, the "fresh" hull and cockpit, are scratchbuilt to fit the pyro bits (or whats left).

I am in no way an expert at all with these things but the body which attaches to the wings are not the same as the original photos I have of pyros that were identified on another thread some time ago. Take a look at the second photo I posted on the pyro models. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=55673&page=4

The top part where the wing attaches looks different.Would the different pyro models use different stylings ?

I will scan a higher resolution picture tomorrow.

Last edited:
They're real. Made up of various castings and pieces (hero and pyro) at the time - circa 1976/77 (ie: no new, modern parts). Put another way, these things could just as easily have been painted, weathered, and then sent to their doom on the pyro shoot. (Well, the engine nacelles obviously had a close encounter with Joe Visckocil. I guess that means that those parts are screen used.)

Gene

The guns have been attached in such a way that the greeblies on the outside of the barrel are much closer in to the wing than I've seen before. Not saying this points to inauthenticity, just not seen this before.

Removed images.

Oh... I was going to say something about 'em (b/w ILM unpainted pyro shots). Namely that there are clear differences between the two pyros in your photos. And these relate to another difference I'm seeing in this auction piece. The plates that bisect the intakes. Seems ILM played pretty loose with these on the pyros. This auction piece has at least 3 thick ones, whereas your pyro photos show one model with 3 thick ( upper starboard, lower starboard, lower port - different to the auction model) and one thin (upper port), and a second model with at least 3 thin plates. On this last model they're even untrimmed, and stick out beyond the Saturn V cans.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back