Obi ANH Sabers: What do you have?

Well, the thread hasn't taken the direction I'd intended, but interesting stuff nonetheless. I was hoping to see (or hear about) some of the pre-MR stuff.
Well then here's something pre-MR (from "Mr. MR" himself) - SD Studios Obi-Wan:

388036217.jpg

388036218.jpg

This was from the first run of these that he did, back in 2000 or 2001, IIRC.

I don't have it anymore, since I upgraded to this - all authentic vintage parts:

403705855.jpg

403705856.jpg

Last edited:
This saber has really grown on me over the years, I use to really hate it...now Its one of my favs.

I've got a SD Studios version and both the MR versions, the weathered and the As First Built.

Anyone else having this problem. I've got a roll of that silver tape you get at the hardware store. Shiny as can be, but when it goes on the clamp, it gets all wrinkled. I was very careful to keep it smooth too. It ends up looking like duct tape instead.

obi11.jpg

obi12.jpg

I kinda figured it out. I took a soft cloth and just kept rubbing it in one direction. The tape has a 'grain' to it anyway, so it will never have the sheen I want, but oh well. I have some mylar, but it is the opposite end of the spectrum. It also doesn't tear.

obi13.jpg

obi14.jpg

Lovely, Clutch!

Just got Russ' pommel today, so here's where I'm at:

All Russrep parts except for the clamp and bubble strip which are originals. Serafino-style emitter cone. Still need to weather the grenade.

P6070271.jpg

P6070273.jpg

I was curious, what is the weight of a 'real' saber? The russrep saber is crazy heavy.

In the Star Wars universe? Probably about the same as a flashlight with two or three D-cells in it. I always wondered about some people, picking up a replica saber, noting it's heft and saying "It feels like a real saber!". No, it doesn't. The trend in weaponry is lighter, not heavier. Granted, it's the heaviest thing most Jedi will carry into battle, but it still should be reasonably light.

Realistically, the Obi saber would have a metal core, emitter, clamp, and possibly the pommel, but the front and rear grips would likely be made of high impact plastic or carbon fiber.

By 'real' I think Clutch means an all-authentic vintage parts saber.

:thumbsup

And I think in the Star Wars universe, they would have to have some heft to act as a counter weight.

BTW, I peeled the tape off. Awful stuff. Accuracy be damned.

Don't you dare cheapen my nonsensical rant with the FACTS:unsure

Heehee, don't worry- I love in-universe lightsaber weight conversations as well :lol

What sort of weight distribution would a lightsaber's hilt need in order to make it not completely impossible to swing around a weightless, highly gyroscopic blade? Seems to me that it'd need to have a bit more weight in the rear grip and pommel, with not as much in the forward section to offset the blade's funky movements. Does that sound right?

BTW, I peeled the tape off. Awful stuff. Accuracy be damned.

Yeah, I finally got tape on my V3 stunt saber and I agree that it definitely looks out-of-place on Obi-Wan's hero prop no matter how accurate it is (and I'm willing to bet that during filming, the entire clamp was evenly covered with tape, and most of it just wore off by the time the post-production photo shoot happened).. Which is I guess why it looks so nice on beaten-up stunt saber :love

Yeah Clutch, I was kinda liking the tape.

I remember the discussion of the tape from way back, but I can't remember whether it was confirmed it was actually there or not.

Anybody remember?

Maybe if I find different tape I will try it again. You could brush your fingernail up against this stuff and put a gouge in it.

Sans tape:
obif1.jpg

I was curious, what is the weight of a 'real' saber? The russrep saber is crazy heavy.
Mine weighs in at 2 pounds, 6 ounces (the heaviest piece being the grenade).

That seems pretty crazy heavy too. I can just hear Sir Alec bitching about it, as it hung from his belt :lol

I have an older Roman's Empire version, which I don't have a good pic of. I got it in a raffle here for a grand total of $32. I'm pretty happy with it. It has screws where the transistors should be, so I'll fix those eventually.

What sort of weight distribution would a lightsaber's hilt need in order to make it not completely impossible to swing around a weightless, highly gyroscopic blade? Seems to me that it'd need to have a bit more weight in the rear grip and pommel, with not as much in the forward section to offset the blade's funky movements. Does that sound right?
Gyroscopic? Maybe for the actual working lightsaber props used in the Original Trilogy, since they had motors to spin the blades, but the blade on a "real" lightsaber would be nothing more than an energy/light projection that would not require a gyroscope. It would be like swinging a flashlight around (as Tan Djarka suggested); the blade itself would have no weight.

As for counterweight, I don't think it would be necessary. Think about it this way--in the real world, we're used to swords with steel blades, blades that have weight and that affect the way the sword is handled. But in the Star Wars universe (that we're aware of) such swords don't exist. Jedi (or anyone else using a lightsaber) would be used to the hilt having no "blade weight" and would therefore be used to handling the weight of the hilt alone. A properly balanced hilt would probably be preferable, but there would be no reason to add counterweight to offset the weight of a blade that never existed.

And, yes, I do have far too much time on my hands to think about stuff like this. :D

I was thinking about when the blade made contact with something. If the blade had no weight, you'd want some kind of weight to counter the resistance I would think. Unless laser swords cut through things effortlessly. Seeing Qui Gon cut through the door makes me think that they aren't that strong cutting-wise.

I was thinking about when the blade made contact with something. If the blade had no weight, you'd want some kind of weight to counter the resistance I would think. Unless laser swords cut through things effortlessly. Seeing Qui Gon cut through the door makes me think that they aren't that strong cutting-wise.
Hmmm...could be. But I would think it would be the same as striking any solid object against another solid or immovable object--the result would be the same, i.e. it would halt your action/motion; I don't know if or how a counterweight would affect that. As far as I know, real-life broadswords are counterweighted to give them balance and make it easier for a person to use them efficiently, not to counter the effects of one blade striking another. Until someone figures out how to build a real lightsaber, I suppose it's all just theory and speculation.

With regards to a lightsaber's cutting strength, in the films the only thing a lightsaber can't cut through is an energy field of equal or greater value; the electrostaffs wielded by General Grievous' MagnaGuard droids in Revenge of the Sith, for example (which, according to the Expanded Universe, are also made from a Phrik alloy that lightsabers cannot cut through :rolleyes). Qui-Gon had more difficulty because he was cutting through blast doors which would be designed to withstand or resist a destructive energy force.

Jeez, I really need to get out more. :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back