Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Las Vegas, NV
    Jan 18, 2010, 1:14 PM - First Ever Official RPF Group Build - IT HAS BEGUN... #1

Gigatron has come up with a great idea for doing a group model build.

For details, see the next post, and thanks to all of the participants!
    Last edited by Montagar; Mar 2, 2010 at 9:20 AM.
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jan 29, 2010, 8:29 AM - First Ever Official RPF Group Build - IT HAS BEGUN... #2

End Date has been moved through the end of the year. Y'all got till December 31st to finish up

Ok gang,

After seeing that there's acually some interest in getting this going, this is the official sign-up and progress thread.

Here's the theme:

The Right Stuff, Plus. We're taking any manned space vehicles from the 60's - present and any X-plane as flown by NACA/NASA.

Now, I want anybody who's interested, to join. I don't care what your experience level is, whether this will be your first model or you build for the Smithsonian. The point is to learn, teach, share and most importantly, have fun.

The build will officially begin March 1st and end August 31st.

That's six months to build any craft that fits the theme. Heck, you can even build more than one, if you're so inclined. The delay is so that people have a chance to decide on a kit and actually get it before we start.

I only ask two things - 1) you post plenty of pictures (so we can all learn) and 2) never be afraid or embarrassed to ask questions.

If you're interested, please post and let me know what you'll be building (and if you have a specific kit in mind, let me know). I'll start the list;

Gigatron.............................Special Hobby 1/32 X-15A-2
    ........................................Revell 1/32 Bell X-1
    PHArchivist ........................Pegasus Models 1:18 Bell X-1, The Glamorous Glennis
    Modeleers..........................Scratchbuild LLRV (flying BedStead)
    LizardJedi...........................Revell 1/72 X-15A-2
    SpaceAce..........................Revell 1/48 Lunar Module
    VistaVision.........................Atomic City 1/12 Mercury capsule
    Jockdeboer........................Special Hobby 1/32 X-15A-2
    .......................................Pegasus Models 1:18 Bell X-1, The Glamorous Glennis
    Sith_241........................... Lindberg 1/48 XFY1 POGO
    tgreco...............................Revell 1/72 shuttle
    JMChladek..........................Eagle Talon / Wings 1/72 Lifting body collection
    Superado...........................Pegasus Models 1/18 Bell X-1

-Fred
    Last edited by Gigatron; Aug 31, 2010 at 7:44 AM.
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 29, 2010, 8:47 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #3

PHArchivist ....................... Pegasus Models 1:18 Bell X-1, The Glamorous Glennis
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jan 29, 2010, 9:03 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #4

Thank you, Rob.

-Fred
    From
    Portland, Oregon
    Jan 29, 2010, 10:06 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #5

Modeleer(s) - LLRV (aKa Flying Bedstead) / ScratchBuild - Scale (?)
    Last edited by modeleers; Jan 29, 2010 at 3:14 PM.
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jan 29, 2010, 10:28 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #6

Cool - and good luck. I look forward to seeing progress on this, should be really interesting.

-Fred
    From
    San Jose/Orange County, CA
    Jan 29, 2010, 11:05 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #7

I'm in!

LizardJedi......................Revell 1/72 X-15A-2
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jan 29, 2010, 11:21 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #8

Thanks, Liz. I'm looking forward to seeing the different scales of the same bird .

-Fred
    From
    England
    Jan 29, 2010, 2:59 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #9

I may have a go, was thinking about Revell's 1:48 Lunar Module, but i have never done a kit in my life, am a little intimidated by the skill of you guys.
  10. Member Since
    Nov 2003
    From
    San Jose, CA
    Jan 29, 2010, 3:17 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #10

i was looking at the module kit also....maybe have to make a trip to the local hobby shop and take a look.
    Jan 29, 2010, 5:28 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #11

Going to super-detail the Atomic City 1/12 scale Mercury capsule. Not a challenging build out of the box but I'd like to spend time filling the interior with accurate cable harnesses and other detail. Will build it up as John Glenn's Friendship 7.

And when I'm finished with it, I might just get me a 7 foot length of 6" sonotube and build my capsule a Redstone launch vehicle.
  12. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Staten Island, NY
    Jan 29, 2010, 5:39 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #12

I am in for two! Maybe that will get me building again.

Special Hobby 1/32 X-15A-2 & Pegasus Models 1:18 Bell X-1, The Glamorous Glennis

I bought both recently.
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 29, 2010, 6:41 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #13

vistaVision said: View Post
    Going to super-detail the Atomic City 1/12 scale Mercury capsule. Not a challenging build out of the box but I'd like to spend time filling the interior with accurate cable harnesses and other detail. Will build it up as John Glenn's Friendship 7.

And when I'm finished with it, I might just get me a 7 foot length of 6" sonotube and build my capsule a Redstone launch vehicle.
    Looking forward to seeing this. Would be interested in more info on the capsule kit!
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jan 29, 2010, 7:17 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #14

Must say, I'm quite impressed with the response, so far

SpaceAce, please join - there's no need to feel intimidated. The whole point of the Group Build is to help indoctrinate new builders into the hobby and for everybody to learn from each other. You never know, you may come up with a technique that nobody thought to consider, before.

Sith_241 - C'mon - you know you want to join us

Marcus and Rob - you guys may want to check out theis thread at FSM http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/t/115184.aspx. This guy may have built the actual capsule - it's the only thing that explains the level of detail.

Jockdeboer - welcome to the build. I guess Rob and I can just sit back and relax now

Hope to get more people by the start of this thing. You'll be surprised how much fun one of these can be.

-Fred
    Jan 29, 2010, 8:05 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #15

I just picked up a 1/72 shuttle

sign me up...

though I will vote myself least likely to get it done in time frame

(I'm a notoriously slow builder....)
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 29, 2010, 8:33 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #16

Gigatron said: View Post

Marcus and Rob - you guys may want to check out theis thread at FSM http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/t/115184.aspx. This guy may have built the actual capsule - it's the only thing that explains the level of detail.
    G'dam...
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jan 29, 2010, 10:31 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #17

tgreco said: View Post
    I just picked up a 1/72 shuttle

sign me up...

though I will vote myself least likely to get it done in time frame

(I'm a notoriously slow builder....)

Welcome to the build, TG.

If we find that we're closing in on our end date and you're still not finished, we'll assign the participating member that is closest you, as muscle, to work you over with your own hobby tools

What's the manufacturer of that shuttle, Revell?

-Fred
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jan 29, 2010, 10:32 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #18

PHArchivist said: View Post
    G'dam...

I thought you'd like that.

-Fred
  19. Member Since
    Nov 2003
    From
    San Jose, CA
    Jan 29, 2010, 11:36 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #19

i am looking at a B-52 model right now i could do up as 'Balls 8' that they dropped X planes from. Now lets see if i can find a B model '52...most kits seems to be E's
    Jan 29, 2010, 11:40 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #20

-Fred
    That's awesome! It's always nice to have a pioneer blaze the trail and leave behind about 100 detail pix... He's certainly set the bar for the Mercury capsule. Thanks for that link, it will be a huge help in building and detailing the interior of this model.
    From
    Bellevue, NE
    Jan 30, 2010, 1:30 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #21

I know Phil and he ALWAYS builds to a high standard. Lots of inspiration (and sometimes intimidation. ) comes from his completed works.

As for me, I am in currently with a planned lifting body collection in 1/72 scale (building M2-F2/3 right now, so it won't count). Models I'll try to get done during the build include the X-24A, X-24B and the HL-10 (all Eagles Talon/Wings 72 vaccuforms). Of course, if the going gets rough I might change my build to something else. But pencil me in for "lifting body collection" at this time.
    Jan 30, 2010, 3:20 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #22

Welcome to the build, TG.

If we find that we're closing in on our end date and you're still not finished, we'll assign the participating member that is closest you, as muscle, to work you over with your own hobby tools
    LMAO

I better hide those punches I bought

yes, it's the Revell
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Jan 30, 2010, 4:57 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #23

Welcome to the build, JMC. Look forward to seeing the fleet .

TG, if you have any exacto blades, center punches or anything else pointy or impaley, I'd be sure to hide those first

-Fred
    Jan 30, 2010, 5:11 AM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #24

I'll hide the dremel and bits too, just in case they're "creative"

man I've seen too many Terantino movies....
    From
    Southern California
    Jan 30, 2010, 6:30 PM - Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted #25

Got some orange paint on the GG. Wings only though, and needs a third coat.