First Ever Official RPF Group Build - IT HAS BEGUN...

Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted

That is the best pilot for a manned X-1 IMHO.

I had a feeling the decals would be a little transparent. At least the borders of the star and bar insignias are so large that trapping the artwork over white painted areas on the model should be relatively easy if you did well enough with your masking jobs. The fuselage masking admittedly will be a little tricky given the curves, but the wings shouldn't cause any real problems.

Sanding the paint sounds like it could work, although usually I tend to go for clear coating over the top rather then sanding. Plus, that might take care of the paint but the decals will be going over that. As such, you'll pretty well have to clear coat after the decals are on and then sand the clear coat if the sheen isn't what you are after to get the finish all uniform.

As for doing a GB logo Gig, do we have any size restrictions? Do you want it vertical, horizontal, or something more like a mission patch?

Last edited:
Re: First Ever Official RPF Group Build Sign-Up Thread - all experience levels wanted

I suppose it will be my first real post then. The website pics do not show much, but it looks good and is articulated.

Here's a look at the fuse (and a better idea of the color)...

attachment.php

Here's a look at the fuse (and a better idea of the color)...
Rob, that's looking really cool! You're going to be finished with it before our group build actually begins... you must be thinking about something to build next (aside from the Death Star, and another Moonraker shuttle, and that ST: TMP Enterprise you have on the shelf, and, and... So really, what's next from PHArchivist Light & Magic??

As for doing a GB logo Gig, do we have any size restrictions? Do you want it vertical, horizontal, or something more like a mission patch?
A mission patch! That's a terrific idea!! I have no design talent to offer but I really would like to see one!

that ST: TMP Enterprise you have on the shelf, what's next from PHArchivist Light & Magic??

Two now, actually! Have two kits - one with the aztec decals, one without...

what's next from PHArchivist Light & Magic??

Ha! Love it...!

You see what I mean about the finish though?

Pretty smooth (I got lucky!), and fairly glossy. Its a pretty nice finish, and I don't really want to muck with it. But its not accurate to what the plane likely looked like in 1947, and I have decals to seal.

Oh what to do...

Well, maybe it won't be exactly accurate in coloring, but it is looking NICE! :D

JMC - Love the mission patch idea :cool. The only size restriction would be set by the signature guidelines. Whatever the largest size that can fit in the signature box, is good for me.

-Fred

Well, maybe it won't be exactly accurate in coloring, but it is looking NICE! :D

Do you mean the actual orange tone? Is it not quite right?

Or are you referring to the sheen, if I don't further modify it?

Do you mean the actual orange tone? Is it not quite right?

Or are you referring to the sheen, if I don't further modify it?

Given that neither of us were there in 1947 to exactly see what the coloring was, I would say the coloring looks fine to me. My apologies if I was implying it was wrong as I pretty much already came to the conclusion that trying to hit the right shade of orange on the plane at that moment is a moving target anyway (blame it on hanging out with aircraft modelers who also tend to be rivet counters). It looks fine to me. It is a bit glossy right now, but after you decal and either sand it to remove the sheen or clearcoat, then that will change its appearance of course.

It is beautiful!

Given that neither of us were there in 1947 to exactly see what the coloring was, I would say the coloring looks fine to me. My apologies if I was implying it was wrong as I pretty much already came to the conclusion that trying to hit the right shade of orange on the plane at that moment is a moving target anyway (blame it on hanging out with aircraft modelers who also tend to be rivet counters). It looks fine to me. It is a bit glossy right now, but after you decal and either sand it to remove the sheen or clearcoat, then that will change its appearance of course.

It is beautiful!

Thanks! :)

Yeah the shine is killing me. I love it but need to work it a bit. Looks great if I'm doing the model as the plane is today, hanging in a museum.

I think I'll experiment with the wings. Will likely start with a Testor's semi-gloss on the wings and see how that goes.

Bob, she's a looking Great! Based on your pics - my sources (at Silver Hill) & related references indicate that you are uber-close to the Bell X-1's (46-062/tail code 6062) original color ((Federal Standard) FS 12243).

It's a gloss orange that was Re-Painted several times, utilizing the Same color. (the desert-air at Murdoc having taken it's toll on the gloss)
Note: Most photos (& film footage) are faded with time & looked washed of color - making her appear more Flat, with her orange color appearing lighter than it actually was. White detail/accents were added (to 6062) to the upper / lower spines & rudder in 48.

Last edited:

Well, my X-15 arrived yesterday as well as my copy of "Hypersonic: The story of the X-15" :cool.

The Special Hobby kit has a lot of detail that I thought I would end up having to scratchbuild, so that's a bit of a relief. But thanks to the book, I see a lot of detail that I'm going to end up scratchbuilding, anyway :love.

Does anyone have a really good reference picture of the inside of the canopy of the -2? I'm looking for a good shot of the spotlights and the cameras. The extra plating would be good, too.

-Fred

I got my pilot and spray in. I guess now I need to actually do something!

I got my pilot and spray in. I guess now I need to actually do something!

Yeah - like wait till March 1st, for the rest of us shlubs. And by "the rest of us shlubs", I mean me. I need to finish off this flakpanzer before I can start on the X-15 :cool.

Trust me on this, once this build starts on the 1st, we're going to have a blast; comparing builds, techniques and the war stories associated with them. I've done a half a dozen of these builds on another board and it is totally worth the wait.

-Fred

So I don't want to sound completely dumb but do you have to buy a kit or can I like, sculpt one and fabricate it???

So I don't want to sound completely dumb but do you have to buy a kit or can I like, sculpt one and fabricate it???

As long as it fits the criteria of the build (manned space craft or test vehicle used by NACA/NASA), I don't think it matters who manufactures it, whether it's you or Revell. Plus, we already have another member who is scratchbuilding their own kit.

So what did you have in mind :cool?

-Fred

As long as it fits the criteria of the build (manned space craft or test vehicle used by NACA/NASA), I don't think it matters who manufactures it, whether it's you or Revell. Plus, we already have another member who is scratchbuilding their own kit.

So what did you have in mind :cool?

-Fred

Honestly, not idea just yet. I wanted to make sure it was okay if I decided to do a scratch build. I live an hour and a half from Kennedy Space Center in FL so I may just take a drive over and see what tickles my fancy :)

Always nice to have a reason to pop over there! I wish I lived that close!

you ain't kiddin' - I wish I lived that close to anything :cry :lol.

I really need to get down to the smithsonian one of these days, to check out the Air&Space museum. It's only an 8 hour drive :angry

-Fred

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back