Best way to Replicate a coin? (Zork Related)

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but couldn't you use PMC (precious metal clay) and fire it in your home oven or jewelry kiln if you've got one?

That would give a highly detailed metal coin that would certainly look excellent once polished or mildly buffed.

That's one hell of a mold for that small a coin!

And I don't see any keys in there. You may want to add one if you do another (unless I'm not seeing one)

thanks guys. and yes one heck of a mold for a coin. It was my first one and I certainly misjudged how much I would need. Since I had mixed too much I figured extra thick walls would help with any warping when they were bound together. Also there WAS a key in there. Instead of waiting the full 6hrs for cure time I only waited about 4. It felt "done" to me. So I poured the other side and went to bed. Next morning, solid block of silicone! I was just trying to cut the coin out to do it over but managed to cut right down the middle. The torn chunks now act as a key :)

Amateur I know. Again, this was my first go!

thanks for all the tips so far guys.

Well, experimenting is a way to learn.

My first mold looked a lot like that.

And, you will need a sort of mold release agent, to prevent the two part of the mold sticking together, FYI. (in case you didn't know that already)

Isnt this considered recasting???? Just wondering about it so the poor guy doesnt get slammed by someone here.
I am ok with what he is doing but just playing Devil's Advocate!

Thanks Tempus for the info. I thought fully cured silicone wouldn't stick to itself? I will pickup some mold release regardless.

As far as recasting. This is an original coin found in a PC game in the early nineties. They are now quite rare. I will leave it up to the community to say yay or nay on offering them to people who want a replica when/if it comes to that point. As for now I am just using this as a learning experience.

-Todd

Thanks Tempus for the info. I thought fully cured silicone wouldn't stick to itself? I will pickup some mold release regardless.

As far as recasting. This is an original coin found in a PC game in the early nineties. They are now quite rare. I will leave it up to the community to say yay or nay on offering them to people who want a replica when/if it comes to that point. As for now I am just using this as a learning experience.

-Todd

Silicone will stick to itself very nicely, so you'll need some release.

As for recasting, if you were to be selling copies, maybe. As you have said that you might, it is a grey area.

I too see it as a learning experience more than anything, at least at this point.

As for recasting, if you were to be selling copies, maybe. As you have said that you might, it is a grey area.

This isn't any different than if someone made a mold of their screen-used 'whatever' and offered a run here... Is that frowned upon? I seem to recall seeing a lot of 'cast from screen used part' stuff offered here all the time...

Is it because they were mass-produced and, technically, sold at one time?

Just curious about the re-casting opinion on something like this...

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but couldn't you use PMC (precious metal clay) and fire it in your home oven or jewelry kiln if you've got one?

That would give a highly detailed metal coin that would certainly look excellent once polished or mildly buffed.

I had never heard of PMC before. Have done a little research since reading this and am thinking this might work pretty well for some one-off coins I have thought about making. I will do some more research before I put any money into it. I have not seen anything yet that says it can be done in my home oven.

I find your concepts fascinating, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

Very nice job, man! I remember how disappointed I was when I picked up the original box on eBay and found the coin missing, not realizing it was only ever released in the Trilogy boxed set. This was a rare item that Infocom would have sold scads of, had they made it available for general sale. They never did, and are now defunct.

I had never heard of PMC before. Have done a little research since reading this and am thinking this might work pretty well for some one-off coins I have thought about making. I will do some more research before I put any money into it. I have not seen anything yet that says it can be done in my home oven.

I read 8-30% shrinkage, not real good for replicating an existing item... On a 1" coin that has to potential for over 1/4" of shrinkage, that will be noticeable...

I wonder will this with the metal powder have the weight/feel of a metal coin?

I will have to give this a shot later on great thread good info

I picked up some brass powder yesterday from TAP and will be doing another pull hopefully tonight. Ill be loading the resin with powder to get it close to the real weight. Will post results.

Had a chance to recast today. First time with bronze powder. I loaded in what I thought was a lot but am unable to get much of a shine off of the coin. Will try and brush the powder onto the molds next go around. I tried to take some angles that showed the bronze in the coin. I added grit with shoe polish which works well. Once I perfect the coin I will do a fresh mold and start minting my own zorkmids.

(real zorkmid is on the right)
1000265p.jpg

1000268n.jpg

1000269o.jpg

1000267.jpg

Also cast this old Secret Service badge. LOTS of detail. Quite a few annoying bubbles trapped in there.
1000272b.jpg

Do exactly as you planned.

Take the mold you have, and dust it with the bronze powder first. But just pour it in, spread it around, then take the remainder out again.

Then, fill it with the resin/powder mix.

When you de-mold it, it will be a flat finish.

Get some extra fine steel wool, and then polish it using that.

You will be surprised how good it looks.

4th cast is a charm. powdered the two halves of the mold, put em together and poured. Nearing perfection. Original coin is brass so mine being bronze is darker. gives off a great metallic shine now! I need to remake the mold now and continue with some tests to get them as close to perfect as I can. Everyone has been such a great help. thank you all.

10000034.jpg

10000043.jpg

10000094.jpg

10000104.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back