New FX Lightsabers with REMOVABLE BLADES

Sounds cool, but bad move making them of ones that are already FXs. Anyone who already has those are most likely not going to buy these IMO. Maybe thats just me.

got to agree but this is pretty neat i know my kid will want one (Im talking abou the blaster)
Slide33.JPG

It's an interesting move. Efx is not going to rehash the same sabers that MR already made.

So now anyone who wants a belt-hanger saber for a SW costume can get one for $95-$120 and it's Hasbro who takes the money to the bank.

I wonder if Hasbro can produce anything stable enough for it to be worth it. Probably a price increase too for the electronics.

Well 'Hasbro' produced the last round of FX Sabers...... and by produced I mean they were made in the same factory by the same people who made them for MR. Only the name on the box was changed, they were the same sabers.

I would guess that the team in China at the factory redesigned the blade assembly to be able to detach. All the electronics should be the same, just the interface between the saber and the blade.

They didn't need to design a removable blade. We had it all designed and debugged waaay back when I was there. We were planning to re-release all of the sabers with removable blades.

All Hasbro has done is add their name to the box and make millions of dollars off of all of our years of research and development.

I gotta get a gig like that :lol

I'd bet it's move to elminate the LEDs in the blade, which was always their weak point. It's the thing that kept me from buying anything but the lightsaber construction kit from Radio Shack, however flawed the design may have been. If that's what they're doing, I may finally get one.

if they decide to redo the episode 1 obi saber in this style then they have my
money

also it looks like from the picture posted in this thread I may finally be able to afford a Fett blaster :lol

On a semi-related note, I was in a TRU this evening and saw the new electronic sabers from Hasbro. The had an Anakin ROTS, a Vader (?), and according to the pics on the boxes, an Obi ROTS should be available too.

Big deal, right? The suprise is they are actually close to correctly scaled. They're not ridiculously oversized like the "Force Action" sabers, or even the classic electronic sabers. In fact , the Vader seems to be a little UNDERsized. I look forward to seeing the Obi in person as it looks to be a good base for a conversion.

Great news for me! I didn't want to buy them because the blades weren't easily removable.

I'd bet it's move to elminate the LEDs in the blade, which was always their weak point. It's the thing that kept me from buying anything but the lightsaber construction kit from Radio Shack, however flawed the design may have been. If that's what they're doing, I may finally get one.

Nope, LEDS in the blade. Like stated above, the research was already done by MR and never implemented. The blades detach and the LEDs hook in with a DIN plug or something. There's some pics online of the sabers at Toy Fair. The blades have a big black plug section on the bottom.

I don't think you can sell sabers with LEDs in the hilt for safety reasons. 3 watt Luxeons are considered Class 3 lasers. The Joe Jedi kit had a super weak sauce LED in it.

It is an odd choice on Habro's part. They've already got flack for re-releasing the MR sabers last year. I'll give them the fact that they have released 3 new FX's since (Obi TPM, Dooku, and Ventress) But now they're going to essentially release the same sabers yet again. Seems like they should have done the removable blades to start with. Give the Hasbro versions a selling point. But oh well.

Nope, LEDS in the blade. Like stated above, the research was already done by MR and never implemented.... I don't think you can sell sabers with LEDs in the hilt for safety reasons... But now they're going to essentially release the same sabers yet again. Seems like they should have done the removable blades to start with.

I read that, but it didn't elaborate on the technology. I didn't know whether that meant a removeable blade with LEDs or a purely optical blade like the conversions.

I'd think they could sell a saber with an LED in the hilt. They sell actual lasers (laser pointers) don't they? Worst case, they could implement some sort of safety interlock that prevents the LED from operating without the blade in place. Or is that too simple?

It would appear Lucasfilm licensees are taking a page from Uncle George's marketing plan by selling us the same thing, only slightly different, over and over and over...
How many times have you bought the OT by now?

Either way, both the new FX and basic electronic sabers look interesting. How interesting remains to be seen.

Hasbro Star Wars MO is releasing the same stuff over and over, so it makes sense. I know why they did it. Just seems foolish.

I can't answer your question about the LED in the hilt safety thing. Just something I heard once.

I'm 99.9% sure the Hasbro's will have LEDs in the blade. I mean there's reports online from Hasbro that the blades won't be interchangeable between sabers. No Vader blade on a Obi-Wan. Why would that be an issue if they're just hollow tubes?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back