Studio Scale McQuarrie Concept Raider

Wow, guys. I really appreciate the kind words. I'm definitely having too much fun with this one. Here's some progress from the last couple of days.

The green putty is really distracting on the white styrene but you'll have to trust me that it's getting smoother. I scribed all the panel lines in on the bottom side and have some greeblies figured out. I'm going to glue the greeblies on last so they don't get damaged in the mean time.

I wasn't happy about the edge detail I had before so I redid the finish surface all along the curved front edge. This was a big PITA but the final edge will be much cleaner this way.
ConceptRaider-45.JPG

This is the top side with the first layer of styrene on top of the ribs. I'm gluing this down to the ribs with epoxy.
ConceptRaider-46.JPG

ConceptRaider-47.JPG

These are the final sheets of styrene for the top side ready to be applied. I spent a whole evening just doing the little vent openings. I thought for sure that I'd break at least one of the thin spots between them but they came out ok. Put my needle files to good use cleaning up the holes.
ConceptRaider-48.JPG

ConceptRaider-49.JPG

More work in the cockpit tub. Yes there is no leg room in this design. Luckily the cylons have detachable legs :D
ConceptRaider-50.JPG

Tonight I glued in the piping on either side of the tail fin and added some detail tubing over the smaller tubes. I also worked on puttying/sanding in the engine compartment. The sanding there has to be finished before the final plating goes on. The engines and final plating are not glued in, just testing the fit.

The engines will be getting more piping and detailing added to be similar to the concept sketch. They look a little bare right now.

As always, thanks for looking.
ConceptRaider-51.JPG

ConceptRaider-52.JPG

I love looking at the building photos more that just looking at finished pictures :)
Gets some great ideas from them

I got some lighting working now and the top side detailing is under way.

I wasn't happy with the technique I used with the colored lighting gels on the studio raider so I tried something new here. The problem with the gels is that glue doesn't stick to them well and I can't glue them to the LEDs. To get around this I tried mounting them to a clear backing that I could position and glue in place easier. I cut strips of the gels and stuck them onto clear masking tape. Then I stuck the masking tape onto some clear plastic card. Here you can see the lighting gels stuck between the FO on the left (held in place inside aluminum tubes) and the LEDs on the right.
ConceptRaider-53.JPG

Here is the lighting gels mounted to the clear plastic.
ConceptRaider-54.JPG

Here's the effect in the cockpit. I'm not sold on the colors I have here and may play around with other ideas.
ConceptRaider-55.JPG

This is the overall view as of tonight. The canopy is a mock up with strip styrene. This is my second pass and I'm going to make a few minor adjustments then measure it and do the final with clear plastic and styrene frame.
ConceptRaider-56.JPG

The topside panel lines are all scribed in.
ConceptRaider-57.JPG

Detail of the forward intake.
ConceptRaider-58.JPG

Detail of the small openings at the front sides.
ConceptRaider-59.JPG

Top side.
ConceptRaider-60.JPG

ConceptRaider-61.JPG

Thanks for looking.

-Doug

Thanks, guys. I've got a lot of little details to work on. Got some of the extra piping done on the engines last night. The little details take forever but getting closer.

Thanks for the feedback, guys !!

We'll I've been busy with 'stuff' lately but hope to be back to making some progress in the next few weeks. I got some done tonight and last so I thougth I'd get some pics up.

I'm framing out the windows with tiny 1/16" 'C' channel and then gluing the frames together in place. The windows are clear acetate and the styrene solvent works to glue the frames on.
ConceptRaider-64.JPG

The canopy will be a separate piece until after the whole thing is painted up.
ConceptRaider-65.JPG

ConceptRaider-66.JPG

ConceptRaider-67.JPG

The bottom is in the putty-sand-primer-repeat phase but getting close to ready for greeblies.
ConceptRaider-68.JPG

Primer on the engines.
ConceptRaider-69.JPG

ConceptRaider-70.JPG

That looks great, I really like the belly shot showing the scoop/intake, and the thruster area with the lovely plumbing is brilliant too..

Phil

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys. I'm enjoying this build a lot.

I finally have an update on this. I have all the detailing done on this now ('cept for 2 parts on the bottom side). The detailing around the engine wells is filled in now and it's about as chunky as I want it. Once all the parts are on I'll hit it with primer again and then on to painting.

-Doug

ConceptRaider-71.JPG

ConceptRaider-72.JPG

ConceptRaider-73.JPG

ConceptRaider-74.JPG

ConceptRaider-75.JPG

ConceptRaider-76.JPG

ConceptRaider-77.JPG

This is fantastic work you have presented. A quick question. Are the clear bits on the near the engine exhaust telephone jack taps?

Thanks guys.

All the clear parts are kit parts, either armor kits or Leopold or Morser Karl parts.

The black colored piece is one of the write-protect slides from an old 3.5 floppy disc.

Telephone jacks have some good detail on them - that's a good idea for future projects !

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back