Studio Scale McQuarrie Concept Raider

dbhs

Hi everyone. I've been a long time lurker here but haven't posted much - and I'm hoping to change that. This will be a long first post as I'm catching up with the progress. There's some fantastic talent here and I appreciate any feedback and suggestions you have. Thanks for looking.
-Doug

My new project is a scratch-built Studio Scale model of a Ralph McQuarrie concept design for the Cylon Raider. This concept was not used for the show in favor of the Raider that we all know and love. To my knowledge a model has never been built of this concept design. I'm calling this a Studio Scale model because I will be building it in 1:35 scale to match the scale of the Studio Raider.

http://www.galactica.tv/battlestar-galactica-1978-news/ralph-mcquarrie-concept-sketches.html has a lot of McQuarrie's sketches and there's some really good ideas for scratch builds in there.

ConceptRaider-1.JPG

This sketch and the one above are the only two reference sketches that I have found for this design but they show enough of the ship to extrapolate the design for a scale model.

To round out the scratch built parts I'm going to add just a few kit parts from the Leopold and Morser Karl that were used on the studio model. The kit parts will be used in keeping with the design but will add just a little 'lineage' to keep this in the Cylon Raider family. Phil (Wombat) is helping me out with some parts from his stash. Thanks, Phil !!!

ConceptRaider-2.JPG

This photo show the Studio Scale Cylon Raider kit next to a 1:35 drawing of the Concept Raider. The Concept Raider is a slightly smaller craft as it is a single-pilot ship. In physical dimensions the model will be just under 16" from nose to tail.

ConceptRaider-3.JPG

My first step was to draw up to-scale plans in AutoCAD. The plan view-sketch was very helpful getting started but after a while I started noticing subtle differences in the design between the two drawigns. I really liked the feel of the perspective sketch so I used that as my reference whenever something didn't match.

ConceptRaider-4.JPG

The shape of the hull has subtle compound curves so I'm using AutoCAD to study the geometry and generating the series of ribs that will create this curve on the skin.

Most of the ribs and parts are ready to go so the next step is to start cutting styrene.

Transferring the pattern to the styrene went really well. It was a little tricky to get the top and bottom to line up exactly but I got it really close.
ConceptRaider-9.JPG

This is making cutting the ribs out to the right size really easy.
ConceptRaider-10.JPG

Here's the bottom flat section getting glued up.
ConceptRaider-11.JPG

This is what I printed the drawing on to. Sticks great to the styrene and luckily it doesn't get melted by the solvent glue. Doesn't seem to react at all. I do have to trim out the label film where each rib goes so the styrene will contact styrene.
ConceptRaider-12.JPG

I don't have a vacuum former so I had to improvise to get the styrene bent to shape. I did two before this one that I had to scrap but this one turned out ok.

The scoop will go on after the rest of the ribs and some of the plating are down.

ConceptRaider-13.JPG

ConceptRaider-14.JPG

ConceptRaider-15.JPG

ConceptRaider-16.JPG

ConceptRaider-17.JPG

I sacrificed a couple of pens to build the guns. There's some additional parts from the pens that I can use on this as well.
ConceptRaider-20.JPG

ConceptRaider-21.JPG

ConceptRaider-22.JPG

The first layer of plating is glued on.
ConceptRaider-23.JPG

ConceptRaider-24.JPG

ConceptRaider-25.JPG

ConceptRaider-26.JPG

Here is the projection under the engines under construction.
ConceptRaider-27.JPG

Here it is with the rib detailing added on. The two flat areas directly forward of this will have big grilles placed in them. I'm going to use the grilles from the Centurion Tank for these (used on the top part of the Studio Raider behind the cockpit). The details on that piece will look good there.
ConceptRaider-28.JPG

ConceptRaider-29.JPG

ConceptRaider-30.JPG

Here's the top view of the same area. I need to finish up around the engine compartment and then start working on the ribs on the top side.
ConceptRaider-31.JPG

Fantastic work! What a cool idea.

Did someone say "concept Viper?"

I think he was referring to the Viper sketches on the web page linked to above of which there are several very cool designs.

Frank, 1:20 would be nice ;-) .

Last edited:
I got the ribs on the top side done and finished up the sides of the engine compartments. I also started cutting out the top side plating but not far along enough for pics just yet.

ConceptRaider-32.JPG

ConceptRaider-33.JPG

Noticed two concepts in particular, the one that looks like an A-Wing and the one that is exactly like the figher from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

Oh darn, now I'm thinking of Erin Grey in those jumpsuits!

I really like this one. It's a good hybrid of the Viper and Thunderfighter but quite different at the same time. Very sleek and I like the dual seats in the cockpit.

ralph-mcquarrie-36.jpg

Working on the engines now to take a little break from the styrene stuff. I'm using several different parts to make the shape of each engine and am mounting them on a metal tube. I was going to extend the same tube into the body and glue it in place but I was realizing that it will be much more convenient to attach them permanently later on. So for this I glued in a sleeve for the first tube to slide into. I'd like to get them painted up separately before gluing them in but I need to figure out how the lighting will factor in to that plan.

ConceptRaider-34.JPG

ConceptRaider-35.JPG

Here's the status from last night:

The dashboard in the cockpit. Here it is with the lights turned on. I'll be adding color to the lights. To illuminate the screen I mounted the FO to project on to the back side of the clear frosted screen.
ConceptRaider-37.JPG

Cockpit seat.
ConceptRaider-39.JPG

I wanted to make the grilles on the top open but the rough part of the inside was visbile through them so this is an inner detail that will be visible through the grille.
ConceptRaider-40.JPG

The view through the grille.
ConceptRaider-41.JPG

Piping along the tail fin.
ConceptRaider-42.JPG

Bottom rear detailing on the 'ailerons'.

ConceptRaider-43.JPG

Adding some kit parts to the center top detail. Can't help but add some lighting here too.

ConceptRaider-44.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back