Anomaly

Ok, so i asked around for someone to commission for this, had quite a few people contact me, but very few follow up communication.
so after a shot of confidence from another costumer who did a wonderful walkthrough of lifecasting, I decided to tackle this one myself.

heres my progress so far.

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

this pic is pretty sweet, got that whole 3d optical illusion thing happenin.

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

Next step: navi nose in clay.
im pretty happy with this.

here is the shot i used for reference

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

and heres a shot of the negative navi nose cast.

(optical illusion actually makes it look positive again)
IMG_0457.jpg

Off to the city tommorow to pick up some dragonskin and slacker and pour the appliance.

Total cost to this point $35 + beers + 5 or 6 badlands badass costumers

great work so far. Looking forward to the the next stage.

Will be interested to see how it handles different facial expressions.

just looking at the nose mould, did you do a cutting edge and an overflow ? this is what produces the best edges on a prosthetic piece. before running silicone i would run a gelatine one first. this will give a good measure of how much silicone to use. also for a prosthetic if you have a smooth on supplier i would go with the new dragon skin fx pro. its softer shore 2a, quicker curing and less thick so does not trap so many bubbles if you havent got a degasser. just use about 20 percent less slacker with it than the original variety.

yup i just found that out with my first pull.
to much slacker.
the second pull came out this morning, and it looks wonderful. the edges taper down to a really nice thin edge.
I will be posting pics shortly :)

Im extremely excited this morning, as i pulled the second appliance.
a little less slacker, and alot more curing time, and its awesome!
the edges I had designed, have tapered down to wafer thin at the edge.
thin enough that the natural tackiness of the material will adhere it to your skin and the edge almost dissapears without even using spirit gum or blenders. the appliance actually goes over most of my forehead, but you cant even see it in the pics!
IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

please keep in mind, im completely green to this, and ive just jumped in the deep end. so im extremely excited at the success so far!
im sure many of the pros on here will see lots of faults lol.

ok. so I did a trial run of the appliance with what i have at the house...
firstly, I dont have liquid latex to properly blend the edges, it will look TONS better with that.
second, my airbrush kicked the bucket 2 minutes in, so this is brush applied paint, so its a bit rough.

here is the appliance applied with spirit gum.
the edges are going to be a piece of cake to blend with latex, because they are already nice and thin.
IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

And now painted.
again, note i have not used any theatrical makeup products, this is only the appliance, spirit gum, and face paint.
IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

Hi dont use liquid latex to try an blend silicone , it wont work well at all. try prosaide thats thickened with cabosil. best way to do this sort of thing though is to use a cap plastic as an encapsulating membrane. baldies or even better super baldies works great. apply a seperator to the positive and negative moulds... rub in vaseline then wipe off the excess. thin the plastic with acetone if normal baldies or ipa if superbaldies to around 1 part plastic to 4 parts solvent and either using an airbrush or a spritzer bottle spray 4 or 5 coats to the posi and neg. then mix up your silicone / slacker pour into the negative then clamp tightly. great thing about using a cap plastic membrane is that you can use regular pros aide to adhere the piece and the edges dissolve into the skin with alcohol to leave a flawless invisible edge. you can also use normal make ups over it too. although i like alcohol activated pallettes and use it in washes.

Looking pretty cool sir. I notice that you didn't sculpt any skin detail though. Also, I agree with piehead. Don't use latex to blend the edges. The baldies stuff works well. I haven't applied the piece I made with it yet but it came out pretty cool. Loving the progress and can't wait to see the next step. Are you going to be adding contacts?

thank you for the comments and suggestions!
as i said, this is my first ever shot at this stuff, so theres gonna be many ways to improve it.
I could have done skin detail i guess, but considering how much makeup/paint/warpaint there is going to be, i thought it would probably get lost anyway.

I am curious why you dont suggest liquid latex....every tutorial i have found uses that stuff and it looks like it works hot ****.

and yes...contacts have been custom designed, and are just awaiting my cashola :D

thank you for the comments and suggestions!
as i said, this is my first ever shot at this stuff, so theres gonna be many ways to improve it.
I could have done skin detail i guess, but considering how much makeup/paint/warpaint there is going to be, i thought it would probably get lost anyway.

I am curious why you dont suggest liquid latex....every tutorial i have found uses that stuff and it looks like it works hot ****.

and yes...contacts have been custom designed, and are just awaiting my cashola :D
you have probably. been looking at tutorials using foam latex. If you use latex as a blender, it will bead on the silicone and look terrible. For me, I like to blend gfa edges with silicone thickend with cabosil

you have probably. been looking at tutorials using foam latex. If you use latex as a blender, it will bead on the silicone and look terrible. For me, I like to blend gfa edges with silicone thickend with cabosil

thank you muchly, i appreciate the advice.
I ordered some liquid latex, but thats ok. im sure ill find a use for that in future :D
Ill have to see where i can get some of this baldies stuff :D

hmmm done some reading, it seems smooth-on sells "thi-vex" which is a thickener for silicone.
pretty cheap stuff, and since i have plenty of dragonskin, i think that might work nicely!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back