Star Trek Romulan Commander

Just for kicks I tried on the sweater again today. So SHOOOOOOORT!!! I need to take it apart and resew to add some inches to the bottom to make it longer in length--which I am afraid to do. Basically the length of the sweater needs to grow by at least 8 inches for me to be comfortable wearing it. It can be done...but it's going to be a lot of work--not exactly happy with embroidering the sweater cause it still doesn't look that great. I'm re-thinking the costume and I am tempted to crochet the red part and sew it on top of black fabric.

I also tried on the wig I purchased for this. The lace of the wig is darker than my skin-going to have to figure out how to blend that all in later.

My yarn came today. I'm going to start crocheting the outfit. If I can't finish this in time for the Star Trek convention, I'm going to have to go as Miramanee because that outfit is easy at least. I'll have to see--I've got so many ongoing projects.

I found this on the internet today:

Grand eyelet lace, knitted

GrandEyeletLace.jpg

Trying out a small swatch. Not coming out perfectly, but I think I need to get the hang of it first. Trying a size 5 needle. Perhaps I need to try a size 8 or so. It's a very easy pattern: knit, YO one, purl 4 together. On opposite side, knit 1 purl 1 knit 1 on the yarn overs, and then knit one.

Not getting this Romulan pattern is driving me ape. To the left is my knitted pattern. Sucks real bad. I don't see the pattern developing--maybe I am knitting too loosely.

So...in frustration, I have decided to just make up my own pattern, and I'm really happy with it! It's crocheted, and it's fairly simple. Just make a chain, and then crochet some triangles on it. On the next row, just a simple chain stitch all the way across, with a single crochet on the top of each triangle. Next row (third row), repeat the triangles. This I will sew on top of black fabric. I'm not sure if that's how they did it, but that's the route I'm going.

dsc06319l.jpg

Also today I decided to cut off some of the lace of the wig I got for this costume. I think I can remove some more. It was really digging into my forehead, and the color was so dark compared to my skin--I was going to have a hard time trying to make it blend with my own skin. So this way, not only is it more comfortable, I won't have to worry so much about blending it.

I better kick start this costume again. Not really sure when the Star Trek convention is going to be in my area--I just dont want to be surprised and not be ready. Edited to say....oh FUDGE!!! March 11. Crap! I need to hustle.

I just ordered a pair of boots for $53. To me that's a bargain. Hoping size 6 is not too big..but at this point, I have no choice. I still need to spray the boots black when I get them, but whatever. Also, I don't believe I will have time to properly print out my fabric so I will have to wing it at this point and just use a mesh fabric on top of the metallic fabric I found. It will just have to do until I have time to upgrade it properly.

Last edited:
Boots arrived today. They are not exactly thigh high but I think they will do. I may just get a pair of black thigh high socks to wear under there. Luckily they are low and comfortable. I just have to spray paint them black.

The Romulan fabric grows slowly. I hope I have ordered enough yarn to accomplish what I want. The new deadline for this outfit now is March 12, when the Star Trek Convention next comes to my area. I am not sure if I can wing it by then. I suppose I can always wear my Uhura outfit as backup--but I heard Uhura herself will be there and I think I will be embarassed to wear that outfit with Ms. Nichols around.

dsc06323l.jpg

That's great about the boots! And the crocheting is looking fantastic! How long does it take to get a section done?

The chain stitches take five minutes to go across the width of the piece, and the mountain areas take 15 minutes...so it takes about one hour to get three rows done. I've already invested five hours and have only enough for the sleeve. I need to get more yarn too. I thought three skeins would do it, but I will need more. I'll just have to suck it up and pay for fast shipment.

I ran into a similar problem doing embroidery... it is amazing how much thread you think you'll need compared to how much you actually need.

And it takes longer than expected too!

It is looking great, I hope you can find the time to finish by your deadline! I'm looking forward to seeing the completed project. :D

I just broke my crochet hook last night so I need to buy another one. CRAP!

Nimoy and Nichols are to be at the Star Trek Convention. Should I splurge and get photos taken with them? What if I look like crap? Crunch time again!! I have not even started the costume and can't really begin it until March 1 because I am out of town...oh woe is me.

On again off again...this project. Clock is ticking, and I'm running out of time. First, the bad news! I forgot to order more yarn. Ooops.

Now the good news. I found this fabric that could do in a pinch for the red part of the outfit. I really would prefer to dress up as a Romulan instead of Uhura this time around.
dsc06477xf.jpg

That stinks about the yarn... :(

That fabric is the perfect color! I'm of the mind that if it gives the affect you're looking for, close enough is fine. And that is the general idea and would allow you to dress the character recognizably at the event you're going to. :thumbsup

I think once everything is put together, plus the pointy ears, it's recognizeable enough. Not perfect, but close. So...if I have time between now and Urko's mask, I'm going to try to sew together the outfit and upgrade later, once I have crocheted enough fabric. I'll be disappointed if I don't at least try. There's always Uhura as a backup.

I'd say that fabric is a darn good match. We all know the effort you're putting in to get accuracy, but 99% of folks will say that fabric works fine.

CRAP CRAP CRAP! The silver fishnet I ordered March 2 is due for delivery tomorrow. That gives me one day to put this costume together...if I can put it together. I have been crocheting like mad since Monday's delivery of the yarn. The good news is I have enough of the red fabric. The bad news is I probably won't be able to start sewing this until Friday, the day before I wear it.

I found a dress in my closet that I will use to cut out the pattern of the dress. I suppose I could start cutting out the pattern today and tomorrow.

I am preparing Uhura's boots and the Romulan's because everything is still up in the air. The plasti dip has a hard time adhering to Uhura's boots ever since I sprayed them silver for a UFO Moonbase outfit. The old silver spray paint and also the vinyl flaking off with age makes adhesion not so perfect. But it will do. I wish the Romulan boots were taller but what to do...

dsc06531v.jpg

dsc06532.jpg

dsc06533g.jpg

Last edited:
AWESOME as usual!!!!!!!

You ARE the resident Costuming/Make-up, cool super-mom, Godess here hands down! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back