Star Trek Romulan Commander

Darthgordan, yeah, the darker fabric looks like one piece, but the magenta looks to have holes. Even if it doesn't, it is one way to get the texture if you can't find the pattern.

Jessica, That is really close! Are you going to try to color it, or use the red as the contrast under it?

I bought a $4 red sweater from a thrift shop today. Thinking also of sewing in the triangles with a blunt needle and black yarn so it's one piece of fabric...but for the life of me can't remember what this technique is called!

Guri, I can't color the fabric because it's a polyester blend that won't take in dyes well. I guess I could always spray it with fabric paint though!! Hmm...that's a thought.

I'll see and do a test swatch and see which one looks closest to the Romulan fabric. This is so fun!!

I have a fabric swatch card of this fabric. The black backing is a mesh netting fabric and the "red" or "blue" is knitted onto the black.
The fabric is then backed or lined with a black fabric. Otherwise the black netting would show everything! LOL

I have a fabric swatch card of this fabric. The black backing is a mesh netting fabric and the "red" or "blue" is knitted onto the black.
The fabric is then backed or lined with a black fabric. Otherwise the black netting would show everything! LOL

Kezzler, can you please post a photo of this swatch? I would love to see it up close...the front and the back.

Kezzler:

So the red is constructed just like the blue in the image Darthgordon linked?

It looks like you could embroider the pattern using yarn... but oy, that would take time.

It looks like I will go ahead with the embroidery. I have a whole year to do this, so no biggie. Here's a small start. I am not really happy with the pattern--so I will remove and re-do. Hoping that I can get better/clearer shots of this pattern (I don't have BluRay)...

Incidentally, this is the back of the $5 sweater from Goodwill, not the front, but it works perfectly for the outfit. I will cut the left side of the sweater for the scarf part of the Romulan suit. I think I will sew the outfit together before I put down the pattern.

dsc02662eb.jpg

By apecityoutfitter, shot with DSC-T90 at 2010-02-06

Last edited:
I found silver fabric which I have sprayed lightly with gold. This fabric will be the silver/gold part of the outfit. I will have to figure out how to silkscreen a design on the fabric now.

dsc02693py.jpg

Hey Jessica, that embroidery method does look promising! :)

A cheat I use when I need to get a template is to take the photo of what I want, gray scale and increase the contrast. Then I print it out at various sizes and compare photos of my printout against my costume/mannequin with the costume photos I'm trying to make.

Here are various tutorials, each with a different take on the method:

http://www.jedielfqueen.com/lotr/costumes/eomer/templatemaking1.htm
http://www.jedielfqueen.com/lotr/costumes/eomer/templatemaking2.htm
http://www.jedielfqueen.com/lotr/costumes/eomer/pauldrontemplate.htm
http://www.jedielfqueen.com/lotr/costumes/embroidery/makingatemplate.htm

And here's me messing with the photos given here:

romulin1.jpg

romulin2.jpg

romulin3.jpg

A good friend of mine managed to to this costume and it's one of my favorites of the ones she has. I'd be happy to ask her for some of the details.

We were part of a TOS Trek group at Dragon Con this past year. Here are a couple of the pics.

3932741419_7e4a5c9754.jpg

3932741679_8311dbc52a.jpg

I have not gotten far with the outfit. I have all the fabric and material in one tub though, so that's kind of a start. I need to create the pattern of the silver/gold fabric so that I can silkscreen it. I don't know when the next Star Trek Convention is in my area...so as soon as I find out exactly when it will be, I will kickstart the project again. I can re-use the latex ears I used for T'Pring. I bought eyebrow wax so I won't have to shave off half of my eyebrows this time around...

I saw those photos of your friend on Imageshack! That's pretty kewl!!

Starting to move slowly with this. First I drew out the pattern that I want to silkscreen:

dsc04013a.jpg

Someone cleaned it up for me on Illustrator, and this is the pattern that I will silkscreen onto my gold/silver fabric.

4664633429_99c5bd816d_b.jpg

Armed with my ventilation tool and sheer determination, I am adding a lace front to a $20 wig, since I really hate the way the hairline is folded over the weft. I'll do a little bit here and there when I find the time. Just like Zira's hairline, this Romulan commander's hairline is going to slowly march forward too.

copyofdsc01129.jpg
[/URL]

Awe... you should have posted a full before pic so we can see the difference when you are done.

I found a pattern KWIK SEW 3472. With a very little adjustment, it is a great one for this uniform. I found some red and black large herringbone material at Mary Jo's, a wonderful cloth store in Gastonia NC

I'm tempted to buy a lace front wig just for the lace and adding that to my current wig instead of ventilating the wig. Maybe. If I find a lace front wig and the color matches, half my work will be done. I am also thinking I will need a "bumpit" for the hair to keep it styled. Can't wait to see this all put together. I'm going to start trying to work on the chain pattern soon.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back