Re: Avatar Sequels

I don't know how Titanic could possibly be called awful. It's not our kind of movie around here but that doesn't equal crap.

I saw that movie on a whim with some relatives the first weekend it opened.

No big press.
No buzz that it was amazing.
No Oscar-winning.
No biggest money-maker ever.
No 'My Heart Will Go On' playing all over the media.
No "Leo DeCaprio is SO hot!"
No nothing. Not yet.

All that public reaction built up gradually during the weeks & months that followed. Originally it was said to be just an old-style Romeo & Juliet melodrama with a big ship sinking scene that cost WAY too much money.

I came out thinking it was very good job at what it was.

Last edited:
Re: Avatar Sequels

The true story part definitely helps it. But IMO the Cameron movie would have been a success either way.

It tried to be a certain kind of movie and did it very well. At the time it had been decades since something like that had been done. Something SO big, SO melodramatic, SO tragic, all at once. I recall one reviewer saying something to the effect of, "Its the only movie in a long time that honestly invites comparisons to Gone With the Wind."

It's like how people say the Fast & Furious franchise is total crap. Oh really? Then why cant anybody else repeat that same formula half as successfully? For all its weak points it's obviously doing something right. Any studio can buy fast cars, hire muscular/sexy actors, and do practical stunts. F&F does not have exclusive rights to any of the crucial elements of its formula.

Last edited:
Re: The Avatar Trilogy

Given that nobody has posted to this thread in five years....yeah, I'd say that's accurate.

I watched the film for the first time this year, yes, in 3D (on my TV). I wasn't that impressed. The visuals were, you know, kinda cool, but so ****ing what? I've seen that story and played that videogame already.

I just can't get over the whole planet wide cultural redemption Jake got for just flying in on some dragon. Nothing should ever be that easy. Also, there's nothing we have that they want? They sure liked putting those radios to good use.

I just can't get over the whole planet wide cultural redemption Jake got for just flying in on some dragon. Nothing should ever be that easy. Also, there's nothing we have that they want? They sure liked putting those radios to good use.

I agree. In reality he'd have half the planet still wanting his head while the other half is tormenting him in ways he can redeem himself and i guarantee they'd be salvaging every bit of tech that was dropped just in case humans acted up again. The problem is Cameron made this movie so black and white with us being the bad guys that he missed out on a lot of stuff he could have put in.

To be honest, I find 3D ultimately pretty unimpressive, except for "Comin' at ya!" shots -- of which there were plenty in Avatar. And for that stuff, it's ultimately a gimmick. I actually thought the best use of 3D was in Dredd, because it was most prominently used for f/x shots simulating the experiences of people who were high on drugs. In other words, it was used to tell the story more effectively, rather than just used because it was, eh, you know, cool.

In Avatar, I didn't find that the 3D enhanced the storytelling at all, except perhaps to emphasize how alien the environment was. And that's mostly because the 3D effect itself is alien. I find conventional movie-making and its approach to depth of field to be perfectly fine. The 3D experience doesn't generally add anything for me, unless it's used for storytelling purposes, and it almost never is.

I think that's another part of why Avatar never really became the next big thing. The technological tools it put to use...just weren't anywhere near as important as people initially thought they'd be. They were important in that it got a lot of buzz and now studios do half-assed 3D releases alongside regular releases, but so what? That's hardly revolutionary. It's just a gimmick now. It might as well be smell-o-vision.

Given that nobody has posted to this thread in five years....yeah, I'd say that's accurate.

I watched the film for the first time this year, yes, in 3D (on my TV). I wasn't that impressed. The visuals were, you know, kinda cool, but so ****ing what? I've seen that story and played that videogame already.
Sorry.

Loved the first, can't wait to see the second, third oh and fourth :lol
LOVED the 3D, maybe because it was the first 3D film I ever saw. (I didn't see the original, I saw the extended version released in 2010).

Latest news on the AVATAR sequels:
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/james-cameron-avatar-1201753774

Cameron has said many times in the past, he would be making THREE sequels to the original. Well now he is making FOUR.
:wacko
2018 - 2020 - 2022 and the last one in 2023, some 14 years after the original.

I guess this also means when Jim gets the Terminator rights back he won't be directing any new one.

so that means there is gonna be 9,763,912.o1 different box sets bye the time its all said and done.... Cameron will be able to afford to design, build and fly to mars personally... after he is done with the ocean. ;)

The one thing I feel most strongly about is the fact that none of the sequels will feature new music by James Horner :(

Man I just can't get excited about this. I remember having the Avatar outline in my bathroom in my old apartment... I slowly read it over a few sessions on the can.

It was pretty by the books, and the only thing I thought may be interesting was the visuals.... but then it was scrapped cuz it would be too expensive. I thought "oh good... cuz he has better movies in him".

Then they made it and it was almost exactly as written... and about as entertaining.

I'm not saying it's a BAD movie... but probably the movie I'm least interested of him doing sequels to... and we're getting 4.

I guess he wants to be his own Marvel....

Take this with a migraine of salt but ive heard the second film (first sequel that was due out last year) has been reworked and basically reshot therefor altering the third film in which (for a good while) was hiding the filming of the then secret fourth film which the prior existing footage being so much the fifth film in the series was added. Im no fan of anything Avatar but if these films get completed on the level JC is targeting it will be nothing short of a miracle.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back