I`m still shocked that these all got the green light. For me Avatar made no connection except for the 3D. Obviously JC has a new and shiny viewing tech lined up for each of them as they come out.;):lol

It's so sad too because going back to watch films like Aliens or T2 you can imagine that Cameron making these movies well. For me the "cutting edge" technology being so integral to the production of this series is a hindrance and not a benefit.

I enjoyed the first film, it was visually stunning and I didn't completely hate the story.

The sequels though have me perplexed...do we really think people want to see a sequel to this in 2020? When it was slated to come out in 2014 that made sense, but now? I don't know...I guess I'm just kind of over it.

That said, I'll probably go see it anyway.

I feel ya. I can't stomach a rewatch of it. Cameron got me good for his retreatment of Dances With Wolves with Smurfs in space. I was drunk on the 3D at the time and paid twice to see it. Not again.

I never saw it in the theater, but I did buy a 3D bluray of it. It's one of the few films I've watched on my TV using 3D glasses. I was not impressed.

It was visually impressive, but honestly not all that impressive. I found the 3D more distracting than enhancing. If it wasn't doing a "Coming at ya!" gag, it was just playing with depth of field, which, frankly, at least for home viewing, you can get from focal lengths, perspective shots, etc. Having all aspects of a shot be equally visible doesn't matter if the action is in the foreground. Having the foreground visible if the action is in the background is just distracting and annoying. Moreover, it didn't look more "real" to me. It just looked...different. Neat in its own way, but nothing special.

Maybe the effect is lost when your screen is "only" 55" and it's the kidn of thing that has to be experienced in the theater. But honestly, the story itself was just...blah. I've seen it. I've seen it done better, too. It just didn't hold my interest, and it didn't help that the film was 2.5 hours long, either. It didn't need to be that long, honestly. Much like, say, Man of Steel, by the time we got to the big action set-piece, I really just didn't give a crap anymore. I was just ready for it all to be over with.

And on top of all of that, I had a splitting headache for hours after I watched it. I had no such problems watching Dredd, however, where I found the 3D effects to be a true enhancement of the story. Probably because they were only lampshaded at moments where it was appropriate to the story itself (e.g., the drug sequences).

I enjoyed the first film, it was visually stunning and I didn't completely hate the story.

The sequels though have me perplexed...do we really think people want to see a sequel to this in 2020? When it was slated to come out in 2014 that made sense, but now? I don't know...I guess I'm just kind of over it.

That said, I'll probably go see it anyway.

I won't. And honestly, I can't imagine audiences will be all that excited about it, either. Like I said, the core issue is the story.

Avatar 1 was at once too serious to be treated like ******* Transformers mindless entertainment with non-stop-sploshuns, and too "been there, done that" to be taken all that seriously.

I think, in the last analysis, that people were really just into this because of what a fresh take the technology was, but that's just flash-in-the-pan appeal. It doesn't have any real cultural resonance beyond that. Based on that, I kinda doubt that the sequels will do all that well. I mean, they'll make money, sure. But I think it'll be seriously diminishing returns.

It's possible because all the humans in the first movie were actually doppelgangers controlled remotely by the host bearing their likeness. This time the real Lang character will be the villain.

Edit: I completely made that up, but it's the kind of foolery I wouldn't be surprised to see utilized

Last edited:
How's this for what in the hell are they thinking?!
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/08/stephen-lang-will-be-the-villain-in-all-four-avatar-sequels
Stephen Lang...somehow, will be he villian in all four Avatar sequels.
Hmm. I'm one of the folks who actually REALLY liked Avatar, but this just seems hella-dumb. I mean, how long would it have taken them to recover his body? And bouncing back from 2 broomstick-sized arrows through the heart & lung just seems farfetched, even in the film's "universe".

attachment.php

Having said that, ima see every one of those flicks. So yeah.

Attachments

• avadoh.jpg
    avadoh.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Hmm. I'm one of the folks who actually REALLY liked Avatar, but this just seems hella-dumb. I mean, how long would it have taken them to recover his body? And bouncing back from 2 broomstick-sized arrows through the heart & lung just seems farfetched, even in the film's "universe".

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=750407&d=1502294500

Having said that, ima see every one of those flicks. So yeah.

I hope they bring him back, he was the best part of the movie. When I watch it and he dies, I stop the movie.

I really enjoyed the movie and watching Avatar 3D on my 4K 80" inch tv is spectacular! even though its not a 4k movie the picture is breathtaking, a close match or even better is Pacific Rim with a stunning 3D picture.

GFollano

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back