Re: The Avatar Trilogy

Take this with a migraine of salt but ive heard the second film (first sequel that was due out last year) has been reworked and basically reshot therefor altering the third film in which (for a good while) was hiding the filming of the then secret fourth film which the prior existing footage being so much the fifth film in the series was added. Im no fan of anything Avatar but if these films get completed on the level JC is targeting it will be nothing short of a miracle.

IN JOSS WE TRUST

hmm that might be the wrong film maker :p
He did also say one of the "sequels" were going to be a prequel set before the first film.

He knows the first one sucked, right? Somebody has had to have told him by now.

Yes actually, multiple times by multiple people behind the scenes and the current scenes. The thing about JC is he isnt some whiny, one sided, my way or the highway type of person. He's an art dept guy and thinks outside the box. He has people work as a team and is open to change and input. On the flip side, he IS an art dept guy, that also means he is fixated on things, has to live in a universe inside of his mind before it can be made into reality (on paper, a set or CGI) and can be difficult to work with because of this. Its a conundrum how good art dept people think as most will think backwards. This allows a B, C, D, F... plan when the original plan A doesnt go as planned.

History has dictated every sequentially filmed series of sequels has been shrouded in problems and not lived up to the original. The Matrix sequels, people died, POTC millions of dollars were lost when sets simply washed out to sea, BTTF part 3 felt very forced and really isnt that good even with "check out my crotch" kid on the train to end it. When Avatar 2 is finally completed and released, will people want much less look forward to a third, fourth and fifth installment? Again I dont care for anything Avatar but the making of will be a great story. Possibly up there with the making of Blade Runner.

So making crap movies is ok so long as the behind the scenes footage is worth it? I've never heard it put that way.

Take this with a migraine of salt but ive heard the second film (first sequel that was due out last year) has been reworked and basically reshot therefor altering the third film in which (for a good while) was hiding the filming of the then secret fourth film which the prior existing footage being so much the fifth film in the series was added. Im no fan of anything Avatar but if these films get completed on the level JC is targeting it will be nothing short of a miracle.

Is he flipping the majority of the production bill? If so, i guess he can stall it until he gets it 'right' in his head.

Is he flipping the majority of the production bill? If so, i guess he can stall it until he gets it 'right' in his head.

Its his baby, writer, director, producer. But no doubt other fingers on the hand want to put his finger in a cast.

Its his baby, writer, director, producer. But no doubt other fingers on the hand want to put his finger in a cast.

Got it. I guess he would have nobody to blame then. For the record, I liked Avatar and cant wait to see the next one.

The only thing novel about Avatar was the innovation in the way 3D was done. He's got to have some new tech to rest the sequels on, I would think. Pushing the same 3D effects and CG-World building is not going to be enough nowadays.

In fact I think the days of 3D movies are numbered. After experiencing early VR, in the form of Oculus Rift, I can say that the future of VR is really what 3D cinema has been trying to achieve all along - a heightened sense of reality. VR has much greater potential.

You can't sell Avatar on the story alone - except internationally - which could be what JC is going for. The Chinese market has always been kind to JC and Avatar sequels could be huge there.

Disney has an experimental theater on a small scale that, is if I recall, 6D. Its combined everything 3D but with air, smell, seat/ground movement, and 360 degree view. Its a combo of everything they have done for decades but applied to film. The test "theater" I seen held only about 20 people being located inside a warehouse. The issue will always be profits. There simply is no profit as the cost to make such a film would dictate the theater experience cost per viewer in the hundreds of dollars. The failure of various 3D movies over the recent years has a lot to do with quick editing cuts and just terrible movies. The cheese 80's 3D horror films were made as cheese and knew what they were. Most 3D of this era is a cash grab conversion in post.
I am wondering however if the Avatar sequels will have enough behind it to push theater headphones into existence. Imagine a movie you can hear over the ******* that has to take this call, the girl asking what just happened or who is that... A 3D headset with 3D sound. Not VR which is cost preventative, but the next practical phase of 3D. Anything beyond that would be a tough sell on the dying theater market.

Disney has an experimental theater on a small scale that, is if I recall, 6D. Its combined everything 3D but with air, smell, seat/ground movement, and 360 degree view. Its a combo of everything they have done for decades but applied to film. The test "theater" I seen held only about 20 people being located inside a warehouse. The issue will always be profits. There simply is no profit as the cost to make such a film would dictate the theater experience cost per viewer in the hundreds of dollars. The failure of various 3D movies over the recent years has a lot to do with quick editing cuts and just terrible movies. The cheese 80's 3D horror films were made as cheese and knew what they were. Most 3D of this era is a cash grab conversion in post.
I am wondering however if the Avatar sequels will have enough behind it to push theater headphones into existence. Imagine a movie you can hear over the ******* that has to take this call, the girl asking what just happened or who is that... A 3D headset with 3D sound. Not VR which is cost preventative, but the next practical phase of 3D. Anything beyond that would be a tough sell on the dying theater market.

Unlikely, I'd guess. Mostly because the quality of headphones would have to be crap to account for the loss at theaters when people inevitably steal them, break them, or dip them in their soda and/or coat them in popcorn butter.

The only thing novel about Avatar was the innovation in the way 3D was done. He's got to have some new tech to rest the sequels on, I would think. Pushing the same 3D effects and CG-World building is not going to be enough nowadays.

In fact I think the days of 3D movies are numbered. After experiencing early VR, in the form of Oculus Rift, I can say that the future of VR is really what 3D cinema has been trying to achieve all along - a heightened sense of reality. VR has much greater potential.

You can't sell Avatar on the story alone - except internationally - which could be what JC is going for. The Chinese market has always been kind to JC and Avatar sequels could be huge there.

Perhaps something like the Lytro Cinema camera, where you can change perspective, focus point etc

Unlikely, I'd guess. Mostly because the quality of headphones would have to be crap to account for the loss at theaters when people inevitably steal them, break them, or dip them in their soda and/or coat them in popcorn butter.

Not really as that was the initial fear with battery powered 3D glasses. There will always be "that guy" no matter where you go however.

Well.

That sounds...underwhelming.

Should JC have said "it's a dark gritty future war movie with killer robots and big epic SFX spectacles"?

Aliens was fueled by Ripley's mother/protective instincts.
The Abyss was about a broken marriage being reconciled.
Terminator 2 had Sarah Connor betraying her deepest principles to protect her kid.

I think Cameron would be right in his element doing a family-oriented Avatar flick. His track record isn't perfect but he can do these combinations of subjects better than most.

Last edited:

Cameron is super talented, but Avatar is a crap movie plain and simple. I have no idea how it made so much movie. Novelty?....it's story is lame and how can you make another 3 or 4 movies on the basis of a dud story. Sure the visuals are interesting, something new and exciting to see him pull the tech off, but jeez, where does the story go, now the tech has been realised and would it now not be old hat??

Artists do their best inspired work when they're hungry...Cameron is basically retired in NZ playing with CGI....blah

Avatar was overrated but not crap IMO.

I agree its gigantic box office was mystifying. I think the sheer novelty (the movie itself + the 3D format being used well) did a lot of it. Cameron will be lucky to get half that much from #2 even if there is no drop in quality.

As for the story - In the late 1970s lots of people didn't see much potential for (quality) sequels to Star Wars ANH.

I think Avatar has plenty of sequel/franchise potential. At least the fictional universe does on paper. But it remains to be seen whether huge audiences will keep watching whole 2-hour movies starring the blue thundercats instead of humans. IMO it's still too early to assume that.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back