Re: The Avatar Trilogy

this should be interesting...can not think of where this could go storywise.

Unless they call it The Avatar Strike Back and it ends with the main villian revealing that "I am your father."

this should be interesting...can not think of where this could go storywise.

Unless they call it The Avatar Strike Back and it ends with the main villian revealing that "I am your father."
No, it's "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate." :lol:thumbsup

In the sequel, with the humans having been forced off of Pandora, they return in a few years with the real Earth military (instead of mercenaries with limited resources) and they nuke the freaking planet from orbit and take whatever they want. In a real world, this is how it would be handled.

I'm still trying to figure out how the heck this got to be about a mix of Pocahontas and Fern Gully.

The area on that planet was not the last rainforest. Pocahontas was not part of a tribe that flew dinosaur-ish creatures and live in a tree.

I've heard so many people refer to Ferngully when discussing Avatar...I wonder if that lil forgotten bit of 90s PC trash has shot up on the Netflix charts with all the publicity?

Avatar 2: The Rise of Captain Planet

(Oh, and I havn't seen it--not being a hater, just goofin around!)

A cgi trilogy? Trying to get the graphics to match up is going to be harder than making the audience believe that Buffy was teenage for so many years, or that Tom welling was at high school, or that Shia LeBouff was real.

I'm sure it'll be just as awesome as the Matrix trilogy.

16991.jpg

I don't know what everyone is getting their knicks in a twist over, here...

The "bad man moving in on the natives" story is as old as the hills anyway and still bears a lot of truth. This is just the latest interpretation of that tale.

I wonder if there was this much flapping when Shakespeare offered his interpretation of the Hamlet story...

Hey, if Titanic can win an Oscar®, so can Avatar.
Overall, Titanic is a much better film than Avatar. If you've ever seen A Night To Remember then you know Avatar is not the first time Cameron has stolen. Still, he did a better job stealing from that than he did Avatar from Dances With Wolves.

I still cannot believe it won for best picture last night at the Globes. I seriously thought Precious would rise above. Cameron is such a freakin' geek he actually spoke Na' vi when he won. He just came off last night as an ultra-nerd joining the ranks of George Lucas, who I still have no idea as to why he was there. My guess is that he wanted to support Scorsese winning the Cecil B.DeMille award.

The "bad man moving in on the natives" story is as old as the hills anyway and still bears a lot of truth. This is just the latest interpretation of that tale.
So, just because it's old means its okay just to re-hash it? Why not do something a little more original? At least throw a spin on it to change it up, which he did not. It's just boring, ,man. We've seen it before. Hollywood is so lax on originality lately. So very few movies stand out nowadays.

So, just because it's old means its okay just to re-hash it? Why not do something a little more original? At least throw a spin on it to change it up, which he did not. It's just boring, ,man. We've seen it before. Hollywood is so lax on originality lately. So very few movies stand out nowadays.

That applies to just about every Romantic Comedy, every film with a kid and an animal depicted on the cover, a large percentage of war films and several other popular genres.

One of the reasons these plots keep happening is because they're popular.
Another, certainly in the case of 'Pocavatar With Wolves', is because what they parallel is still happening in real life.
Another is simply the business of Hollywood. It's money-making.

Believe me, if I had the money and talent, I'd have done a fair few original takes on certain film genres. Half of them would likely flop too, but I'd have had fun making them.

Overall, Titanic is a much better film than Avatar. If you've ever seen A Night To Remember then you know Avatar is not the first time Cameron has stolen. Still, he did a better job stealing from that than he did Avatar from Dances With Wolves.

I still cannot believe it won for best picture last night at the Globes. I seriously thought Precious would rise above. Cameron is such a freakin' geek he actually spoke Na' vi when he won. He just came off last night as an ultra-nerd joining the ranks of George Lucas, who I still have no idea as to why he was there. My guess is that he wanted to support Scorsese winning the Cecil B.DeMille award.

Actually, I think it's Avatar's "originality" that people are responding to, partially. It's something "new" even if it's also familiar. This reminds Hollywood that yes, you can still sucker people into the seats without requiring an 80s-era license to get them there (see also, The A-Team, Red Dawn, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Clash of the Titans (who I hear will clash in the film...) etc.). In other words, you can rely on familiarity with the story/themes/underlying concept rather than brand name alone.

That said, Avatar was so heavily hyped before release and required SO much hype abotu the OMGGAMECHANGING!!!!!111!!!one!! f/x that it was practically a brand before anyone saw it anyway. So maybe the lesson won't be as well learned.

Basically, the "new" aspect of Avatar is the fact that it's not a sequel, prequel, or remake/reimagining/reboot. It may be a rehashing of the underlying story, but it's not like they released "X-Men 4: X-men in Space" or "Go-Bots: Cy-Kill's Revenge" or rebooted The Hulk/The Incredible Hulk/The Rather Ill-Tempered Hulk or whatever.

In essence, Avatar gets to be a "remake" without being an actual remake. It accomplishes the same goal of "CREATE AUDIENCE FAMILIARITY BEFORE THEY WALK IN THE DOOR" (mixed with a heavy dose of "OMG SPECIAL EFFECTS!!" hoopla) without having characters whose names and setting you've seen before, even though you already "know" the story.

I still cannot believe it won for best picture last night at the Globes.

Same here.

Chances are it'll clean up at the Oscars®, too.

Hmm... maybe Marty should've filmed GoodFellas in stereo? That way he would've won that year.

Because Avatar, for all its stereoscopic wizardry, is mediocre.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back