Pepakura replica helmet models

Agreed for sure. I've wanted this helmet since The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit/42 episodes. Then when they brought it back for The Waters Of Mars I wanted it even more. It'd be a great little piece to own. It's one of David Tennants more memorable items of clothing as The Doctor to me.

Yes same here and considering the price of the actual base helmet that it was made from pepakura would be a great alternative.

Yeah $500 is just impossible for me to spend on the base helmet alone. Then there's the cost of adding the rest of the stuff to it. Just way out of my price range.

Last edited:
helmoffate.jpg

Helmet of Fate added to the list.

Great work on this. It's going to drastically reduce sales of the Dr. Fate helmet I sell that looks exactly like it....but great work.

Any progress on the Nova helmet?

Great work on this. It's going to drastically reduce sales of the Dr. Fate helmet I sell that looks exactly like it....but great work.

Any progress on the Nova helmet?
I doubt it will drastically reduce sales. Most pep users use it because it is cheap. Besides, mine has all those ugly facets in it and yours is nice and smooth:)

The nova helmet, shouders, and forearms will be released soon. I hate trying to model subtle curves.

Edit:
I had trouble with the stylized helmet, so I did my best to match it. I have some cleaning to do on it to make it a little smoother, but this is what it will look like. I may redo the star.
novahelmet.jpg

novahelmet2.jpg

Last edited:
Dung0beetle, Have you ever considered making Daft Punk helmets?

I know it's in high demand, but the files that are out there are highly inaccurate. If you're interested in trying it, I can provide you with the references I have for one of the helmets, as well as pictures of my fairly accurate sculpt (and a list of things wrong with my sculpt :lol ).

So, what do you say?

-Nick

Dung0beetle, Have you ever considered making Daft Punk helmets?

I know it's in high demand, but the files that are out there are highly inaccurate. If you're interested in trying it, I can provide you with the references I have for one of the helmets, as well as pictures of my fairly accurate sculpt (and a list of things wrong with my sculpt :lol ).

So, what do you say?

-Nick
I'm putting requests on hold until I get caught up, but send me a pm with links and I'll add it to my to-do list. I still have power rangers helmets to finish that were requested over a year ago. :unsure

You might try posting in the request thread at the 405th site, there are much more talented modelers there than I am.

Hey dung0beetle,
I downloaded and built the Sharkbeetle Dunghead version of the Ironman helmet and without adjusting the scale it does not fit. Any way you could tell me what scale/formula I need for this helmet to fit my 23.5 inch head?
Also, I see you are located in Texas too. Im in Houston, where are you located? (if you dont mind me asking)

Thanks for the help and the models.

when can we expect the Rocketeer helmet to be released?

great work by the way. I second the request for Daft Punk helmets once you open back up to requests!

I'm putting requests on hold until I get caught up, but send me a pm with links and I'll add it to my to-do list. I still have power rangers helmets to finish that were requested over a year ago. :unsure

You might try posting in the request thread at the 405th site, there are much more talented modelers there than I am.

I put a request out over there, but due to the outage, who knows when people will start checking back regularly. I'll shoot you a PM with some images and some info for when you have time.

...and don't sell yourself short, you're an awesome modeler. Well, better than I am anyway. :p

If there are any other 3d modelers who want to have a stab at making a Daft Punk 3d model for pep use, I can send you my ref images as well, just PM me and let me know.

-Nick

How long do these things take, on average, to fold and put together? I may try a Republic Commando helmet and scale it to the Riddell SW helmets to try it out.

I'm trying to get some of my own work done, and working on requests in between breaks. I scrapped the first version of the Rocketeer bucket, and I'm going to model it in 3ds max (I've been using milkshape 3d) since max is easier to deal with for accuracy.

Cutting and folding takes a long time. Assembly is fast, so I usually cut and score everything by sections (faceplate, top of the head, etc.) and then assemble. How long it takes depends on how complex the model is, and how experienced the person building is. I can get a helmet done in about 6 hours from print to resin, but I've been doing paper models for a long time before pepakura came around. I still have a paper x-wing hanging from the ceiling in my mom's house.

I suck at scaling these things. My method of scaling helmets is to measure the width of my head from ear to ear by standing in front of a mirror with a ruler held up to my nose. Make sure to stand at least 6 feet from the mirror, or the measurement won't be as accurate. You can also have someone tell you from across the room how fat...er big :D your head is. Take the measurement in cm and put that into the width + about 2cm for padding etc. into pep. It works for me and I don't see why it wouldn't work for others. My advice would be to ask someone else about scaling, because I went thru about 6 helmets before I got it right.

Upcoming models that I'm building for myself:

New War Machine Helmet (new references = more accurate model)
Iron Man 2 Armor (the "extremis armor")
Whiplash armor (from the end of the movie)
Drone "armor" (from the end of the movie)
War Machine weapons - Minigun, Missiles/Missilepod, Forearms/guns
Arc Reactors - "escape from prison", Iron Man 2 round arc reactor, and triangle arc reactor -- blueprints to be machined (still working on gathering accurate references)
Tali helmet from Mass Effect 2
Section 8 armor and weapons
Pit Droid (star wars)
I'm also building a video game, so that takes most of my time.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I will get back to requests as soon as my to do list shrinks more.

Edit:
I forgot to mention the suitcase. I drafted a quick blueprint based on screencaps. I think I've got it as close as I can with current references. I'm not sure about the profile curve. It may need to be more rounded in the center. What do you guys think?
suitcaseblueprint.jpg

Edit again:

Some progress
suitcase3.jpg

I should probably sleep at some point :p

Last edited:
I think I'm done. I kept front and back identical, but all the parts are modular blocks, so if I or someone else makes a different part for the other side, it can just be swapped.
Download it here: http://www.4shared.com/file/bxls5ygk/IMsuitcase.html
suitcase4.jpg

Unfolder needed on this one.
I didn't model everything like the vents on the center section, the odd hinge things on the sides, etc. I didn't know what to do with the top and bottom frames, so I just duplicated the sides and stretched them. I will probably get back to it later and make it more accurate, but I wanted to get it off of my to do list.

i thought of a couple of cool helmets that maybe one day (after your other projects) you could do.
Item image
Gladiator Maximus helmet
Star Wars EpIII Beehive helmet

Thanks for all of the pep files.

I think I'm done. I kept front and back identical, but all the parts are modular blocks, so if I or someone else makes a different part for the other side, it can just be swapped.

suitcase4.jpg

Now that's the weirdest looking helmet I've ever seen. How do you wear it?

Seriously though, thanks for this, very cool. :D

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back