Q's about lightsaber parts...

Squall67584

Hello there! I've been reading the posts on this site for years now, and registered awhile back. I'm contemplating building a custom lightsaber design with aspects of certain well known saber aspects. While I've read several different threads and have done several searches, I am still a bit confused when it comes to the terminology concerning the parts since I'm a complete newbie when it comes to making props.

Has there ever been a post or a picture done that shows a lightsaber (say the Obi-Won ANH saber) with arrows pointing to certain parts and saying what they're called? Parts like the emitter and activation clamp make sense, but others I don't really understand. I can guess that the "wind vane" is that part below the emitter with the turbine-like part, but I'm not really sure.

Sometimes parts are named for what they are used for in the Star Wars universe, and sometimes they are named for what real-world parts they are.
... and sometimes a complete misconception of what the real-world part really was sticks around for years and years after it has been proven to be completely misleading. :rolleyes

For the Obi-Wan saber, there are these diagrams:

Star Wars universe:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=57462

Real-world parts:
http://www.therpf.com/showpost.php?p=34268&postcount=54

You are right about the "wind vane".
The business end of a lightsaber is generally called an "emitter", yes. If it has some kind of a cylinder around it, that is often called an "emitter shroud".
The end part of a lightsaber can always be called a "pommel" ... because that is what they are called on real-world swords. ;)
The plastic T-profile tracks on some lightsabers are often called "grips" for some strange reason, and while that always make me cringe there is still something worse: when people call them "windshield viper blades" and think that they were made of rubber.

Last edited:
You can click my signature to get the full sized image, it's RPF2

Here you go:

obiparts_RPF_2-vi.jpg

Thanks.

For the sticklers: Yes, it still says Balance Tube instead of Balance Pipe. I also have the frosted calculator bubbles shown instead of the correct clear ones.

I made that image several years ago, it needs to be updated.

Now those are some cool images! I'm going to have to draw up a few sketches using some of those parts, then start the hunt in the Junkyard. Thanks dudes!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back