Looking for a UK filming location for a spaceship interior

Sterlacchini

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello,
Can anyone help? I'm trying to finish of my no budget sci-fi film (The Boys & Girls of SAC22).

I'm trying to find a UK location which I can use as a spaceship interior. It needs to be modern a clean looking as opposed to weathered and dirty. The rest of the film is quite rough and ready so I wanted something shiny and futuristic to contrast.

Perhaps something a bit like this?

ghd.jpg

I've been searching the web for ages and I usually pick something up before now. The image above is the GHD building in Leeds, but I'm doubtful I will be able to film there.

There is also a chap who has a cool Star Trek interior, but it's too instantly recognisable as Trek. I've also inquired at the UK National Space Centre in Leicester, but unfortunately they wanted much more than my budget allows.

Any help or suggestion gratefully received.
Steven

Last edited:
Hello,
Can anyone help? I'm trying to finish of my no budget sci-fi film (The Boys & Girls of SAC22).

I'm trying to find a location which I can use as a spaceship interior. It needs to be modern a clean looking as opposed to weathered and dirty. The rest of the film is quite rough and ready so I wanted something shiny and futuristic to contrast.

Perhaps something a bit like this?

I've been searching the web for ages and I usually pick something up before now. The image above is the GHD building in Leeds, but I'm doubtful I will be able to film there.

There is also a chap who has a cool Star Trek interior, but it's too instantly recognisable as Trek. I've also inquired at the UK National Space Centre in Leicester, but unfortunately they wanted much more than my budget allows.

Any help or suggestion gratefully received.
Steven

You have a No-Budget-non-profit-movie and yet you have a budget for renting a location ? I hope you did not offer them anything up front. Is that centre privately funded ? Did you take the time to make an appointment to present your project and talk to anyone in person ? Can´t you offer them anything in return for sponsorship ?

What about any filmcouncil contacts ? They are usually very helpful.

You could also contact location scouts. Remember that they usually make a living by providing locations, but if there is an interesting project with no budget, they usually are willing to help out. At least that is what I do in such a case and a few colleagues here do as well.

You could also call your local architects union to see if there is anyone who might know of interesting buildings for your purposes, especially public buildings like schools or conference centres.

A look at the website of the architects union might help as well, or google for modern architecture (I know, you most certainly already did that).

I just looked the GHD building up, and it´s a school for hairdressers and product presentation, so there should be no business on the weekend. Give them a call, maybe tomorrow, have something prepared like a project folder to immediately sending them per email, and see what happens. There is nothing worse than NOT asking if a location could be used for filming. You´ll always kick yourself if you didn´t try it.

EDIT : your webpages look great, I´d be really scratching my head if the decision makers wouldn´t appreciate the professionalism of your production.

Good luck with the project !

Cheers for the input ManfromNaboo :thumbsup

I've got a slight contact at GHD, a friend of a friend who's a supplier. However, I've been waiting a while for a response and I'd like to find some other options.

Yep, although I'm no-low budget I don't mind spending a couple of hundred pounds on a really good location, though I can usually get them for free, if I ask nicely. Some places will let you film for the fun of it, some want a token payment and some want the full professional rate, which is understandable especially if it's a good location.

I've got a lot of links etc. for local film offices and location scouting companies, I've checked all of them. I thought I'd ask here because I think it's the sort of thing a RPF member would recognise and note when they saw it.

The stuff on the Judge Minty blog is another project, which is joint venture with much higher production values. This location is for my nearly complete first project, which is a lot lower budget.

Well I hear the new MI-6 building is pretty snazy. Just walk in there with cameras and start filming. They won't care.

:lol I've heard they're well renowned for their sense of humour with these things.

Last edited:
That was my first thought, however I started this project before I went HD. It's filmed with MiniDV so I'm not sure how good a key I'd get for chroma key.

so I'm not sure how good a key I'd get for chroma key

Not good. As in crappy :lol

What about Seacombe Space Cenre? Prolly the same deal as Leicester, but they don't have the Doc Who exhibition any more & Alien Wars crashed and burned, so they might be apossibility.

Thanks Birdie,
unfortunately I've already scouted there. Not quite right unfortunately.

Any more suggestions welcome.
Steven

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back