Sherlock Holmes (Granada/Brett) props

Cool, I like the paper props.:thumbsup

I'm pretty sure that Watson's service revolver was a Webley MKVI (same as Indy's).

There are some good close ups in 'Thror Bridge', I'll try and get a couple screencaps up. Some of those early Webley's look very similar but one of the gun experts here might be able to confirm it's a MKVI, or not.

Good to see Brett getting his due. All respects to Rathbone, but Brett is the finest screen Holmes, and those Granada productions are sterling. I also have the DVDs.

I was fortunate enough to see Brett and Ed Hardwick play Holmes/Watson on stage in London. The play itself was so-so, but seeing them together was golden.

Brett though had the worst case of flop sweat I've ever seen. He kept having to turn his back to the audience to quickly yank a handkerchief from his pocket and wipe the sweat away. I wonder if it was in the early stages of his illness and that had something to do with it? Who knows.

Love seeing the props here.

That's great that you got to see the stage play, I'm envious!

What year would that have been, around 1989? Brett died in '95. so I assume he would have been in the early stages of his heart illness.

Great that you got to see it live!:thumbsup

It was roughly '93, more or less, just a few years prior to JB's demise.

I have a small poster from the play that was sold in the playhouse's lobby that my wife and I had framed as a momento of the trip. It was one of those unusual occurences that she was as into it as I was since we both were--and still are--fans of the show. It was a thrill for me that I hooked her onto Holmes (she even read the ACD stories as we travelled through England!).

Great memories.

I enjoyed the new movie for what it was, but for me THE Sherlock Holmes is Jeremy Brett, from the Granada TV series and 4 movies.

I've been researching some of the sets and props from the show, here's a compilation of what I've "deduced" to date:

Original props and set dressings on display in London currently (not my video BTW):

A Visit To Granada's Sherlock Holmes Exhibition !! - YouTube

Some original costume pieces were sold off here. Some SW items here too:

Bonhams 1793 : The Angels Star Collection of Film & TV Costumes

Teaset:

NavalTreatydishes.jpg

NavalTreatydishescropped.jpg

Is this pattern, Mason's Mandalay / Blue Pattern

MASON'S MANDALAY-BLUE MULTICOLOR at Replacements, Ltd

mason_s_mandalay_blue_multicolor_coffee_pot_and_lid_P0000054341S0144T2.jpg

And finally for now, the large picture of the Reichenbach falls that hangs above the fireplace is a black and white blow-up of UPPER CASCADE OF THE REICHENBACH (CANTON BERN) by WILLIAM BARTLETT, 1836:

reichenbach.jpg

221bdigs.jpg

Al

I am a HUGE fan of the Granada series starring the late Jeremy Brett. Superb, dear Watson!

Nice, I have a collection of Sherlock Holmes props and now I wish to expand. I think I am going to make the reichenbach painting first.

I am attempting to locate/have made the curtains behind Holmes in the fourth picture from the beginning. What a search! Does anyone know the pattern
or help about this? I am trying to surprise my wife who just loves the DVD series I got for her. Great pictures here, Thanks!

I have an a3 copy of the Richenbach print, PM me with a suitable email address and I'll send you a copy, I also have just completed after about a year of research and labour a complete set of all the Cannon Case files written in Dr Watson's hand ( my own created font ) with all the attendant evidence , letters, newspaper cuttings, telegrams etc all created from the Granada TV series production notes and art dept references and The Baker Street File, all hand made, aged and in period style, complete with a 'rogues gallery' with photos, a biography of Holmes a complimentary 'Great Game' reference guide also , whilst Jeremy Brett didn't complete filming all the Cannon episodes, the case notes have been completed as if he did, with the notes and the relevent evidence files, to make a complete and fitting homage to the best period Sherlock Holmes to date , ( and yes I do count Bennedict and Robert's good performances both) I will post a set of photos here as soon as I can !

- - - Updated - - -

Curtains are Sanderson's Manchester based in the UK , don't know if they are still in production but that's your starting point

Most of the walpaper and curtains were Sanderson , many of their patterns are still available.
Id love a copy of that print ...is it high enough res to print out ?? Cheers .

Copy sent , I haven't checked regarding the Sanderson pattern , but I think I have a reference somewhere in my files, I'll have a look, if I find it I'll post it here .

For me, the best so far has been Bennidict Cumberbatch from the BBC's "Sherlock". It was kinda cool seeing him in the new Star Trek as Khan too.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back