x-wing drawings?

What I would like to see is T-65 X-wing Plans, ...rendered as if they were illustrated by the art dept. at Incom.
I don't care so much for accurate drawings of the movie props (regardless of their esteemed lineage), when in fact - they were built in a hurry & on a limited budget - I want to build from plans of the X-wing as if she were Real.
Well, ...isn't she?

So... you won't be matching it detail by detail? Well there are a few oddball greeblies on them like the Tie Fighter for example. It has a German map case and an ammo pouch on the wingstar!:rolleyes At 1/6 scale it will jump out at you.

So... you won't be matching it detail by detail? Well there are a few oddball greeblies on them like the Tie Fighter for example. It has a German map case and an ammo pouch on the wingstar!:rolleyes At 1/6 scale it will jump out at you.

And some of those exact same details can be Found in 1/6th (in both plastik & vinyl)

Sure, most of the found partz will have to be rendered in 1/6th.
And while I plan to include a few of the more recognizable shapes (or replace them with close 'look-alikes'), I just couldn't leave (the non-SW) lettering that clearly reads 'Rolls Royce' &/or 'Lockeed'. :rolleyes

Come on Flintlock!!!! And a BIG thanx to all who aid this Xwing Drawing project!

And some of those exact same details can be Found in 1/6th (in both plastik & vinyl)

Sure but dont forget that a 1/6 ammo pouch wouldnt work on a 1/6 TIE Fighter... Since the parts were 1/35 scale on a 1/24 model...
And while some tiny like that can work at a small scale Im not sure it will look great on a bigger scale...

If you have such an intimate knowledge of the flaws of these X wings and you build one, you will always be aware of the flaws you could not reproduce and those you have introduced yourself - you will always know your replica is not the real thing.

Absolutely. The only point of building an asymmetrical X-wing is if you have a casting of a real pyro, or (the dream scenario) a pull from the original hero bucks. Then you're working with the ACTUAL imperfections and it's the next best thing to screen-used. If you're building a replica, it may as well be at least somewhat idealized.

I get Colin's take too though. With the cockpit area, that's like the 'face' of the ship. If you mirror-image the face of a Stormy or Vader helmet you lose its character, which is a composite of the two, non-identical halves. Same with the X-wing, possibly. Personally I doubt it's as significant as with the helmets, and I don't see a way around it if the warping on the originals is as bad as has been speculated.

Talking of the original bucks, which thread had that picture of the buck from Richard Edlund's collection? Can't remember now...

Wasn't it a dedicated Profiles in History sale thread?

The pyro moulding master. Do I correctly recall that it was up for sale again recently?

Wasn't it a dedicated Profiles in History sale thread?

The pyro moulding master. Do I correctly recall that it was up for sale again recently?

Cheers for the help, but I since found it on an auction site. The inference is it's the hero buck, but it's clearly the pyro. Yep, it was up for sale recently. Just think: if you'd seen it and and had $7000 to spare, you could have had your dream pull by now, heh, heh. Here's the link.

http://www.icollector.com/Final-det...r-fuselage-from-Star-Wars-A-New-Hope_i8632912

Here's the photo - the clearest and most orthogonal profile of any ILM X I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Hmm. That's interesting. Either the pieces have had a lot of work done on them, or the photo has, or has been taken from a very careful angle.

This piece is basically badly bowed in along the whole lower hull, both halves. Or it used to be, at any rate.

Vince, just to nitpick there was a single standard mold for hero fuselages (well, a mold for the upper half and a vac buck for the lower), and another mold for pyro fuselages).

Seems the piece they were cast from had its canopy removed so that the cockpit could be moulded.
No problem! Thanks for the correction!

You guys are all doing a fantastic job with this research!

I see they finally sold the Pyro Left/Right Master for $6500. (many thanks for that image Colin!) I wonder if that was the same pair that appeared last year (asking price $20,000?) from the collection of R. Edlund (although those looked different to me)? If not, then how could there be two pyro "masters"?

Also note that the auction mentions "four or five" (presumably hero) X-wings built - the uncertainty continues!

Lastly, didn't the gentleman in charge of the EFX X-Wing also state that they scanned an ILM X-Wing fuselage loaned from an unknown ILM source, and found it to be asymmetrical (bowed to one side). He also stated that Red Five had the torpedo launchers farthest forward from any other X-Wing - both attributes which have been confirmed.

And now the Red Five fuselage is "missing"!

Last edited:
i'm working on a digital x-wing too, i'd love an opinion about how close my own fuselage is.
if it fills the bill i'd be happy to lay out some schematic views for you.

can check it out here http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/73564-anh-x-wing-2.html

That's really neat! Thanks for sharing it. All the work shown here is awesome! I'm very impressed with the level of detail and accuracy. It seems we (and when I say "we" I mean all you very talented people) are not far from being able to render an "accurate" (okay, that will never completely be defined to everyone's agreement) set of construction or reference plans for one or more of the various models, or at least one "idealized" version. I'd be really happy to have that in hand when model building.

Marcus

i'm working on a digital x-wing too, i'd love an opinion about how close my own fuselage is.
if it fills the bill i'd be happy to lay out some schematic views for you.

can check it out here http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/73564-anh-x-wing-2.html

Fabulous work.

Looks very promising. Though I'd need to see some ortho top and side views (with the canopy down) - and also 3/4 views with the camera much further back and zoomed in, to tell whether you've really attained the nutty standard for my idea of X perfection...! Also, you might try softening the edges of the nose a bit...

About the canopy front width. Does that make a ratio with the saturn V diameter of 27: 47mm?

Is there anyone here NOT working on a digital X-Wing? :lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is all great info!

And while I plan to include a few of the more recognizable shapes (or replace them with close 'look-alikes'), I just couldn't leave (the non-SW) lettering that clearly reads 'Rolls Royce' &/or 'Lockeed'. :rolleyes

LOL!:lol Another thing that bugs me, sort of, are tank track links used for details.

Is there anyone here NOT working on a digital X-Wing? :lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is all great info!
I'm not building a CG version,but the one I'm working on will have to wait until I get more money. This is very cool no matter what anyone says! I'm not a fan of CG graphics myself,but I love these. Thanks for posting them.

And now the Red Five fuselage is "missing"!
No,it is destroyed. There's no more Red 5!

"Five is Alive! "

While I do plan to Re-imagine a few of the shapes in fabrication (Track-links, et al),
it will be done with thee utmost respect for the Original found partz & their true size & shapes.
(my goal is to render all of the close-up visual aspects of the Xwing - as if she were as Real as any real Jet Fighter!)

Here's an example of how 1/6th scale almost Forces the issue of reality...
(when in comes to the sense of actually seeing it as being real!)
6loco.jpg

Re: Xwing Drawings:
Here I wish to express my profound appreciation for this combined effort & also, my gratitude for the (exemplary) generosity expressed.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back