x-wing drawings?

First of all, let mi introduce myself, my name is Rodolfo Martínez, I am an illustrator and modeleer. Lately I have been interested in building an X wing model 1/18 so I started looking for info on the subject and found this great forum, let me say to everyone involved in all the X-Wing Studio Scale threads I have read that you guys are awesome!! I couldn´t believe all the stuff you know and all the effort, hard work and passion you've demonstrated in everyone of your projects.
It really makes me wanna participate and try to give something back to all of you.
So, I changed my mind about the 1/18 X-Wing and started gathering the kits for a 1/24 X-Wing.
I started making a blueprint for the droid strip, so here it is. Any corrections that the masters here think that need to be done please let me know. I hope to draw some beautiful blueprints during the construction of my X-Wing, blueprints I would be more than happy to share in full resolution with everyone who wants them.
I am taking any advice and guide you can provide me.

I also leave you a page with the model parts needed for the droid strip and for the butt, I know every one here knows, but it is nice to have a graphic chart of the parts.
I also want to show you some of my aircraft illustrations. Hope you like my work.
I'm glad to be here!:)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Welcome here Rodolfo, and thanks for sharing your work.

Your illustrations are very nice, and I too would like to see more of your sail barge, she looks huge !

Thanks a lot guys!
MonsieurTox, I am a big fan of your work, you rock!
I lost most of the Sail Barge pictures, but I still have enaugh to start a thred on it. The Sail Barge was not a movie prop replica, but a collectible for the Star Wars 3 inches figure collectors, in which forum should I start that thread?, I'll gladly tell you the story of that Sail Barge and show you more pics.

I would love to know if OylPslyk finished those wonderful 2D views of the 3D mesh he was creating, they looked wonderful. I would love to make an X-Wing profiles illustrations of every Red, ofcours, with your help and guidance and I woul give full resolution illustrations for anyone hwo would be interested in printing them.

Well see you on the Sail Barge post soon!

P.S:
What do you think is the nose to butt lenght of the Red 5 X wing?
Any one has a clue?

Here's a pic that illustrates this better.
Conventional explanation is that when pyro work was tried with a model or models built using hero construction, it/they blew apart unconvincingly into top and bottom halves, wherease pyro-construction types blow apart sideways, i.e. towards the camera, looking less phony.

Makes sense. I can recall on Star Trek DS:9 they built several AMT Klingon starship kits for the battle scene in "Way of the Warrior" and there is one very obvious shot of a Klingon Vor'Cha class AMT Ertl kit blowing up. It blows apart right along the top and bottom halves and looked a bit hokey in the process.

As for drawings, I can recall somebody was working on a set of color paint reference illustrations for the different X-Wing studio model paint jobs. 3D reference of the models is all well and good, but for those of us that aren't out for total model perfection and just want good paintjobs, I would love to see that project completed.

Rodmart, thanks for the great droidstrip chart. Nice illustrations.

JMC, can't you just get that info from reference photos - or do you mean a chart including areas not in the public arena, like the underside of Red 2 etc.? If you need help with ref photos there was a huge thread here a while back which pooled almost all of what's publically available.

Hi there, thanks for your words !
ColinDroidmilk, I have learned so much about the X-Wing reading everything you've post, thanks a lot! You really know your stuff.

I am glad you liked the R2 strip. I am getting the 1/24 Harrier this or next week so I'll be able to draw a side view and enhance the top view of the Harrier parts. Do you remember what was the post you are talking about? I have search every post I have found for reference pictures but a lot of pictures are not there anymore.
I would love to get every info I can to make the profile Illustration of Red 5 first or Red 3. I have done several aircraft profile illustrations and I would love to do views of the X-Wings. But I still have many doubts on the full length of the original Models, so if anyone could help me with that info I would be able to convert those 3D or digital blueprints into a more artistic but precise blueprint, with a fully painted version of it. Of course I would share it with anyone who wants it in this forum.
JMChladek hi there, do you remember who was working on that?

I leave you a pic of one of my profiles, a T-33 Shootingstar, and a picture of my abandoned 1/18 X-Wing project, hope you like them!

Last edited:
Rodmart, thanks for the great droidstrip chart. Nice illustrations.

JMC, can't you just get that info from reference photos - or do you mean a chart including areas not in the public arena, like the underside of Red 2 etc.? If you need help with ref photos there was a huge thread here a while back which pooled almost all of what's publically available.

Well, anything would help. Reason being is some colors can be a bit suspect in the photos due to various reasons. Granted we all have to do our own "best guess" to determine colors and features (I've done it myself), but it is nice to have maybe a drawing set that shows all four inner wings, the top, the bottom and the sides so we know what goes where and how to tell if a commonly available photo hasn't been doctored (i.e. flipped backwards) or if a left side intake is an upper and not a right side lower. Think of it as something like a road map of sorts to help sort out what you are looking at in the photos. But yes, if there were such drawings for images of items on X-Wings that weren't "public domain" then that would also be nice. Plus with a set of CG drawings, one could easily strip away the weathering passes (or provide a clean set) to help show what the raw unweathered colors might have been more easily if they are drawn right.

As for Red 2, I did manage to find one bottom shot of that studio model. It was on a Micro Machine package of all places!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I decided to build a 1/48 X-wing from paper some time ago. I created some blueprints to guide the construction of a CGI model first, using photos of the filming models. Many of them came from this forum and I found plenty of information and interesting reading here, too. Big thanks to everyone involved!

Now I'd like to contribute something back, so I'm posting my work-in-progress blueprints in hope they'll be useful to someone. Some minor areas need to be fixed first though - for example the width of the upper plane of the nose is should not be constant, but greater towards the cockpit and the whole nose should have rounded edges (I needed to make it so, otherwise it would be unbuildable from paper patterns).

The CGI model is meant to represent a generic x-wing fuselage, which seems to me to have the same relative proportions on both pyro and hero models. Nose and torpedo bay opening varied of course; here the nose sideview is taken from red 2 photo, the opening from pyro.

The vector drawing should represent the panel lines and decals on red 2. I don't have a photo of the whole bottom (or any high-res photos of red 2 actually, just a small section below the torpedo tube), but I'm pretty sure that textures in some SW computer games artwork were based on detailed photos of red 2, so I used them as refs. Not as accurate as from a real photo, but better than nothing.
Also, the aft part, mountpoint covers, torpedo tubes (they're way back) and the step between lower and upper fuse on this model were different compared to other x-wings. I don't have reference for some areas; suggestions to improve accuracy are very welcomed.
The colors are just to differentiate the areas, I'll add a proper texture once the panels are done.
Cheers,

David

Yes welcome David.

Thanks for taking the time to do these blueprints, I know how long & how frustrating it is to get them looking correct.
I compared yours to my blueprint drawn in 1/12th & I was quite surprised that they are virtually identical. That's good news for me in the fact that someone such as yourself has come up with the same dimensions & are happy with the results.
Cheers
Stu

Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be here.
Stu, that's good news for me too - it seems to me that we should be close to the ideal shape. I really like the idea of using the original models as a base for a large x-wing instead of basing it on the big red 3 model and I'm looking forward to see your 1/12 fuselage. Good luck!

Thanks a lot guys!
I would love to know if OylPslyk finished those wonderful 2D views of the 3D mesh he was creating, they looked wonderful. I would love to make an X-Wing profiles illustrations of every Red, ofcours, with your help and guidance and I woul give full resolution illustrations for anyone hwo would be interested in printing them.
P.S:
What do you think is the nose to butt lenght of the Red 5 X wing?
Any one has a clue?

actually i have been tinkering with it again this past month. and once again i'm kind-of stymied at the fuze length :angry

at the risk of asking another long answered question, was the pyro longer than than the heroes?

in this pic, the yellow is a tracing i made of the earlier in this thread plans of the Fine Moulds model. the red is the outline of my existing hull. both match up fairly well, but when overlaid on top of the pyro halves, the butt-end is about 1.5 cm longer than either my or the FM tracing.

I do believe part of this is due to camera distortion, but it still wouldnt account for the entire mismatch.

View attachment 34487

opinions?

at the risk of asking another long answered question, was the pyro longer than than the heroes?

Stating the (nearly) obvious, I think it's really difficult, if not impossible, to compare a photo like that to a set of plans without knowing a lot more about how the source image was captured than is generally available in the photos themselves.

I will say that the general consensus is that what you're looking at in that photo is the pattern that was created to make the negative molds for the foam resin castings that would become the pyro models. That pattern was built from a resin hero fuselage upper body casting mated with a vacformed styrene hero lower fuselage, in the manner of the original hero miniatures, and then cut in half on the vertical axis to create those bucks.

In other words, that's essentially a hero fuselage in that picture, and the pyro models that were cast from the molds created using these bucks were most likely one or two percent smaller, at least, than those original bucks.

That pattern was built from a resin hero fuselage upper body casting mated with a vacformed styrene hero lower fuselage, in the manner of the original hero miniatures, and then cut in half on the vertical axis to create those bucks.
Do you suppose they made one pattern out of a hero and simply cut it in half? Or two? The reason I ask is that you would lose some width dimension due to the kerf of the blade used to cut it in half. It may be a small amount, but it would cause the pyros to be slightly narrower as well, by about 1/32" or more maybe. For accuracy, I would cut two seperate patterns in half, but given ILM's time constraints during production, they probably just cut one in half like you said. Another alternative would be to pour the molding material around the pattern at exactly the halfway point, but I don't know if that would have been feasible. Any thoughts?

Do you suppose they made one pattern out of a hero and simply cut it in half? Or two? The reason I ask is that you would lose some width dimension due to the kerf of the blade used to cut it in half. It may be a small amount, but it would cause the pyros to be slightly narrower as well, by about 1/32" or more maybe. For accuracy, I would cut two seperate patterns in half, but given ILM's time constraints during production, they probably just cut one in half like you said. Another alternative would be to pour the molding material around the pattern at exactly the halfway point, but I don't know if that would have been feasible. Any thoughts?

I think your instinct that they probably took the easy way out given time and budget constraints is probably the correct one. Also remember that they were just trying to simplify the production of the models that were to be destroyed.

And yes, when you look at photos of the pyro models and castings and compare them to photos of the heroes, the pyro fuselages and noses do appear to be a bit thinner from side to side.

I'd be very doubtful. As you say, time and cost constraints. 1/32" wouldn't matter a damn.

It's not technically any harder to set up a two-part mould off a solid object, but it does involve more setup time. Claying up the piece for an accurate join line would be quite time-consuming. Then, once you've made your mould of the outside, you also have to lay clay into that to the thickness you want the final piece, and mould *that*.

Much quicker just to bandsaw the master in half, and since we know the master IS in two halves...

Edit: too slow as usual! :)

lately my reaserch on the hull i've been going over again (no matter how poor the quality) all the sketches, fanboy layouts, published tech drawings etc. that i've been able to gather from the web, books, magazines...

i've even been tracing and overlaying various 3d meshes, even some ive seen from members here. and it keeps coming down to one image. it seems just about all of them have a common root that has been used and re-used. i'd like to try to find out where this original image came from.

i was kind of shocked when i imported this pic to my comparison drawing. it was the pic i used many years ago when i first began re-creating x-wings in sketches-schematics-models. i had since abandoned this image in an effort to work from more accurate sources and even just pics of the old models themselves, but maybe i should just go back to my old stuf!?!

i'm sure you've seen these, i have no idea where they came from since its been so long, but i remember (before the internet stuff) i had a glossy legal-sized print of one of these.
View attachment 36139 View attachment 36140 View attachment 36141

and here is one of the paint guide sheets from the FM 1-72 kit.
View attachment 36142

and here are both scaled together, the bluelined outlines are both the tracing of the FM paint guide. it is an exact match, only a few of the teeny details vary. the FM image is of higher resolution, but i still think the previous colored diagrams are older.
View attachment 36143

just about every other image of this type that i can find seems to also have simply been a modified image from the same drawing. i would love to find out the source of these drawings, and just why/how/when they were created.

untill then though, i'm going to finish off my 3d hull using the shape from this, and just detail it later.

edit:
here's the same tracing, overlaid on red3, again it may just be perspective, but you can see the same issue from my previous post with the pyro halves; with the tail end being a bit too short to line up properly, but other than that its very close.
View attachment 36153

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back