Doctor Who - The End of Time - Part 2 (Spoilers)

I actually liked this explanation of regenerating. It really is like the character has died since it is a different person playing it. I think the others have just done the whole "I'm the same guy just a different body" thing too many times even though that is not what actually happens because each actor tries to make it their own.

I really do think the 10th Doctor was full of fire and the 9th seemed to be really bitter and angry on the outside. The 9th always referred to humans as apes just learning to walk and was ready to kill a Dalek when he saw one. The 10th doctor though may have shared these feelings really held himself inside and seemed to really be looking for some payoff. I really liked the Doctor in the past few specials with the whole I'm a Time Lord for a reason attitude but still doing good even when it backfired (Waters of Mars). I explain the outburst as him just being human a bit if that makes sense. Like WTF??? This is what I get? I just jumped out of a space ship to save all of time and this is how I go out?! I would be ticked at first but would eventually come to my senses and do what I have to do.

The 10th was a great Doctor and I was actually surprised to find that he bumped Tom Baker down to the two spot in my book (Something I thought would never happen).

RTD may not have written the best ending for Tennant but he has written some great episodes. I think The stolen Earth and Journey's end is one of his best given what he did with Davros. I loved his exchange with the Doctor. The ending with Rose sucked in Journey's end and I never saw the appeal of Billie Piper. I'm always like WHY bring her back?! Even with those shortcomings, Davros makes up for it in that episode. Plus it gives a way to have the 10th doctor come back.

I'll agree the Ninth Doctor seemed really bitter at first, but I chalk that up to him likely being the incarnation of the Doctor who actually ended the Time War, so he's feeling angry at what his people had become and at himself for the actions he had to take as well as guilty. He did soften over time thanks to Rose.

Compared to a Time Lord humans are apes. Probably him using that phrase is him projecting his anger of the Time War onto those around him, much like Ten's rant when Wilfred mocked is his fear of "dying" affecting him. The more I think about it the more accepting I am that it was just a heat of the moment rant and not Ten actually being full of himself and superiority; it doesn't change that he's a hypocrite about other things.

Nine's readiness to pick up a gun and kill the Dalek I think is a far more appropriate response to the situation than Ten ever had. Even in the end Nine choice cowardice over murder (to paraphrase him), but with the wounds of the Time War still fresh and him facing the last pure Dalek in existence he freaked. Ten on the other hand when faced with an army of pure Daleks and Davros wanting to destroy all of existence would rather hug it out than freaking wipe them all out and be done with it. He's been fighting Daleks for several hundred years, you'd think he'd have learned by now that they can't be reasoned with.

The 10th was a great Doctor and I was actually surprised to find that he bumped Tom Baker down to the two spot in my book (Something I thought would never happen).

Tennant rose above some terrible writing and dumbing-down to make a really great Doctor. For me, he bumped Jon Pertwee down to third spot - I really can't conceive of anyone toppling Tom. :)

I'll agree the Ninth Doctor seemed really bitter at first, but I chalk that up to him likely being the incarnation of the Doctor who actually ended the Time War, so he's feeling angry at what his people had become and at himself for the actions he had to take as well as guilty. He did soften over time thanks to Rose.

If you haven't seen it, this sums up how the Doctor started out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7boeBf5pbQ

He's referring to Doctors 1-4 being old, then 5 being young and vibrant. What's that got to do with Nine being acerbic?

You may have watched the video, but you didn't get it at all. At the end he talks about how when he started he was trying to be "old, grumpy and important, like you do when you're young." And instead he grew out of it to be more like the 5th Doctor and came into his own, which was a more exciting and vibrant person instead of being angry at everything. He wasn't talking about the age of the Doctors, he was talking about the attitudes, the outlook on life.

For me, I saw Tennant's Doctor struggling with a war within, one of ego. It plays against the Master, who shows us what the Doctor is at great risk of becoming. It is this inner turmoil that I think Tennant did a good job of bringing out in his very versatile acting.

I was able to enjoy this finale by not thinking too much of it; I allowed myself to be sucked into the story. As a result, I felt that chill/thrill of excitement when seeing the Time Lords revealed, and I got a bit emotional during the tribute/ending, self-indulgent though it may have been.

I remain trepidant about the Matt Smith doctor; his performance at the end seemed to be a continuance of Tennant's excited energy. I remain open for the next season, however.

Here's a thought that occurred to me just now - I wonder how much of a parallel can be drawn with the Freudian concepts of the psyche.

Id, ego, and super-ego are the three parts of the psychic apparatus defined in Sigmund Freud's structural model of the psyche; they are the three theoretical constructs in terms of whose activity and interaction mental life is described. According to this model, the uncoordinated instinctual trends are the "id"; the organised realistic part of the psyche is the "ego," and the critical and moralising function the "super-ego."

It seems to me that one could have the Master as the unrestrained Id, with the Doctor providing counterpoint as the Ego holding things together, with the addition of the various Companions as the Superego, criticizing and teaching the Doctor how to be human (moral). Does anyone else see this?

I really haven't watched much of the Doctor since he's returned to the air - I watched in the 80s quite a bit. I've seen the new stuff (mostly as 'just something to have on in the background') and it looks decent, I was a bit bothered that they changed Doctor's so quickly (Eccleston to Tennant). Tennant looks like a great Doctor from what I've seen.

I watched the regeneration episode... well, part two of it. I gotta say I enjoyed it quite a bit reminded me a lot of the old days. Was lots of fun, despite not knowing what the heck was going on for the most part. I thought it was corny... but still touching that he visited some of his companions at the end.

I'll check out some more, maybe with a little more interest now. Gotta catch up with some Tennant stuff, as I thought he was quite engaging as the Doctor. The guy who played the Master threw me off at first (what!? no menacing dark hair/goatee) but proved to be more than suitable!

The deal with eccelston was that he took the part on the condition that it was a one year thing for him. I think they wanted more of a name to start the new series off with, though to me, he wasn't much of a name, but him only wanting to do it a year is true. I think it was something about trying to avoid being typecast....

The deal with eccelston was that he took the part on the condition that it was a one year thing for him. I think they wanted more of a name to start the new series off with, though to me, he wasn't much of a name, but him only wanting to do it a year is true. I think it was something about trying to avoid being typecast....

Which is a shame, seeing as how the highest profile thing he's done since was G.I. Joe.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back