2001: A Space Odyssey - Do you fastforward?

darth_myeek

Sr Member
I love this film, and everytime I get a new format DVD, BluRay or whatever, the first movie played is 2001.

We'll I bought a BluRay player this Christmas, so I had a chance to see 2001 again. Loved it. The clarity and richness of color makes this classic seem new.

That said, I have a question for 2001 lovers.

Come clean, who fast forwards through..
-The 2:58 second blank screen musical prelude "Atmospheres"?
-The Dawn of Man?

-DM

I frequently pop the disc in to study a specific scene or take a grab somewhere, so it would be fairer to say that I usually see the film in bits in pieces! :lol

I have however seen the film several times in a theater setting, beginning to end with no breaks or fast forwards possible. I think it's about four times. And I have to tell you, it's a mesmerizing film. Even the apes and the long tedious scenes where nothing happens. :lol

The film builds up a sort of "invisible suspense" that peaks during the part that begins after the intermission, when Poole goes out to replace the AE-35 unit. At that point it becomes a freight train. I don't see how people can be bored with the film, unless they really hate the subject matter I guess.

k

I fast-forward through some of the long multi-colored-eyeball-close-up scenes.

They're really long - - - & multi-colored - - - & well - - - close-up.

Of an eyeball.

:lol

I have however seen the film several times in a theater setting, beginning to end with no breaks or fast forwards possible. I think it's about four times.

k

I've not skipped it, but when I watch it I try to think about what the first few audiences thought about during the first three minutes,. Were they just enjoying their cigarette, in the dark with the music? Or was it really setting a tone for them.

Karl,
Who flipped the gravity switch on in the moonbus prior to coffee?

-DM

I fast forward. for me, its classic kubrick at his most self indulgent. the film is far too long. don't get me wrong. its well made, the performances, set design etc, all brilliant, but the story is thin.

I enjoy the beginning, and the end but feel it really drags in the middle so I fast forward.

2001 really is a great movie. I never really appreciated it until after I read the book. Generally I prefer the book OR the movie but almost never both. I think in this rare case they compliment each other remarkably.

And with the exception of the goofy looking cavemen monkeynoids, the fx hold up incredibly well. It definitely raised the bar for space fx.

The fact that this is on Blu-Ray just inspired me to buy a Blu-ray player. The fast forward button should be disabled on all DVDs of 2001.

Amazing movie.

2001 is one of those movies that I respected but could never sit all the way through. Hell, until recently, I didn't even know it had a plot. For the longest time, I thought it was just a compilation of futuristic scenes, with a weird monolith thrown in just to Kubrick-ize everyone.

Then I bought the DVD and made myself sit through the whole thing...

Greatness confirmed..

All those scenes I turned the channel at...no more.

It gets better every time I watch it.

I picked up my blu-ray on amazon for under 10, in fact it was soo cheap I was worried about the transfer until I fact checked it on blu-ray.com. The color is unreal. The quality is so good, I felt like I was watching film.

-DM

When I got my Bluray player, it was the first disc I bought. I don't fast forward through it unless my purpose was to look at something specific. I think it's a great film. I saw it once in a theater, in a re-release several years after the original release, at a small local theater (now long defunct), but it made an impression. I've since owned it on VHS, DVD and now BD.

Jim

Karl,
Who flipped the gravity switch on in the moonbus prior to coffee?

While the film does have its flaws in its depiction of gravity (more on that in a minute), I am not bothered by the gravity they obviously have on the Moonbus.

The Moonbus is not in orbit, therefore it should not be in freefall (aka "zero gravity"). The bus flies straight at what appears to be a constant altitude above the Moon's surface, so presumably it is propelled by those large downward-firing rocket bells. I therefore would imagine that they enjoy normal Lunar gravity (1/6 G) on the Moonbus.

Now granted, logically the easiest way for the Moonbus to get around, would be to launch itself on a ballistic trajectory from Clavius to Tycho (in otherwords, a sub-orbital trajectory), cut off the rockets, and coast all the way. I'm not entirely certain that this is not what is being depicted in the film, but if that's the case the Moonbus seems to be traveling kind of low to the ground.

Anyway... sure, gravity on the Moonbus, why not.

What bugs me though, is the one gee gravity field they seem to always have everywhere in the film. For example, look at how the men move around in the Clavius meeting-room scene where Floyd addresses the Moonbase personnel. Everyone walks normally as if they were on Earth. In reality, they'd only have a sixth-gee of gravity, so people would tend to "float" and "bounce" as they moved. Look at the videos of the astronauts on the moon, and how they hop and lope as they move (and those guys are wearing hundreds of pounds of equipment!).

There's lots of gravity-that-shouldn't-be in other locations as well. On Discovery, the astronauts climb up and down ladders between levels (the Bridge, HAL room and Pod bay for example). This is unnecessary since all compartments on the ship except for the Centrifuge, are supposedly in zero gravity!

Another infamous example is on the Aries 1-B Shuttle from Space Station 5 to the Moon. That entire ship is in zero gravity, but when Floyd slurps his dinner through a straw, the food slides back down the straw! :lol

Obviously this is all due to the fact that it's only a movie, and it was filmed in the one-gee gravity environment of Earth. Kubrick gives it a heroic try though, and does a lot with actors on wires, for instance in the EVA scenes or when Bowman is in the HAL brain room, to give the impression of free fall.

Gravity in space movies is usually a "taken for granted" thing. In Star Trek there's some sort of artificially generated gravity field. This seems to have been the case in "Space 1999" as well, where they have one gee on the Moonbase but once somebody steps outside onto the lunar surface, suddenly it's floaty sixth-gee time. :lol

In "2001 a space odyssey" though, Kubrick knows enough to not be depicting "artificial gravity fields". He shows fake gravity being generated by rotating drums (as in Space Station 5 or the Discovery's centrifuge).

The Peter Hyams sequel "2010 the year we make contact" throws the gravity situation out the window though, since even though the Leonov is shown to have a rotating section to provide gravity, Hyams also has normal gravity on Discovery, which is a no-no. Cut to John Lithgow leaning jauntily against the wall in the pod bay. :lol

k

Another infamous example is on the Aries 1-B Shuttle from Space Station 5 to the Moon. That entire ship is in zero gravity, but when Floyd slurps his dinner through a straw, the food slides back down the straw! :lol

k

Maybe the vacuum created by his "draw" would cause a reverse flow?

-DM

That's cool. I was going to jump all over the HAL/IBM video but was swayed by it. I'll have to spend some quality time with it.

Take care,
-DM

Rob Ager's reviews of Kubrick films are all interesting, but watch the 2001 analysis first.

I thought he was over-analyzing things until I read The Shining review - which totally blew me away: http://www.collativelearning.com/the shining.html

He makes some strong arguments for his points of view and if anything, they make you think more about Kubrick's style.

Of course there is always The Kubrick Site as well:

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back