2001: A Space Odyssey - Do you fastforward?

Is that anything like synching Dark Side of the Moon to the Wizard of Oz? ;)

k

I found this link.

The set up is very simple: pause 2001 just before the title frame for "Jupiter & Beyond the Infinite," pause Meddle at the beginning of "Echoes," and unpause both audio and video at the same time. The beginning of the title frame should correspond exactly with the first "ping" of "Echoes." Some verteran synchers also believe that placing this initial ping a second or two before the appearance of the J&BtI title brings slightly better results. In either case, "Echoes" and the 2001 movie as a whole should essentially end at exactly the same time. As far as I know, unlike the components of "Dark Side of the Rainbow," there are no variant versions of 2001 or "Echoes" to complicate matters here.

I've never fast forwarded. 2001 is the most entertaining boring movie ever. I'm bored the whole time I watch it, but at the same time I'm not bored enough to care.

K,
Has anyone replicated the Parker Pen prototype?

howpen1.gif

and was the second version ever found in 2001?

howpen2.gif

-DM

I've never seen "replicas" of the pens used in the movie. Floyd's pen is featured when it floats around the Orion III spaceplane cabin. Later in the film pens are used on the Discovery but I haven't ever studied them to see if they're the same type.

The watches used by the astronauts have never been truly replicated either as far as I know... some "commemorative" watches were released by the company that made them, but the styling is different from the screenused props.

k

In "2001 a space odyssey" though, Kubrick knows enough to not be depicting "artificial gravity fields". He shows fake gravity being generated by rotating drums (as in Space Station 5 or the Discovery's centrifuge).

The Peter Hyams sequel "2010 the year we make contact" throws the gravity situation out the window though, since even though the Leonov is shown to have a rotating section to provide gravity, Hyams also has normal gravity on Discovery, which is a no-no. Cut to John Lithgow leaning jauntily against the wall in the pod bay. :lol

k

That always bugged me about 2010. The black patterns on the pod bay floor are Velcro pads, but in 2010 they are just shiny black and white floors :sleep

I don't fast forward but I have, on occasion, shut it off after the first 20 minutes (which I spent marveling at Stuart Freeborn's apes!)

Tom

That always bugged me about 2010. The black patterns on the pod bay floor are Velcro pads, but in 2010 they are just shiny black and white floors :sleep

Just about everything bugs me about "2010". They took everything that was fantastic about 2001 and made it all... "meh". :confused

You know right out the gate that something is wrong... when the little slide show at the start of the film, recapping what went before, gets the location of TMA-1 wrong! :eek ("Tycho" Magnetic Anomaly... and the slide at the start of 2010 says it was dug up on the Sea of Tranquillity. :rolleyes)

The wonderful solar-system-spanning Human culture of 2001 is just... gone all of a sudden. Space Stations in Earth orbit? Lunar bases? Mars and Venus stations? Not mentioned. The whole US space program seems to consist of just Discovery. And all the Russians seem to have is Leonov!

The design in the sequel is just annoying as well. Instead of looking like ten years further in the future than 2001... it looks like off the shelf for 1982. Everybody's wearing Space Shuttle-era space suits... CRT monitors everywhere... even stuff that was done right on Discovery in the first film, is suddenly done "wrong" here (Qwerty keyboards? On HAL?! :eek)

Bowman comes out in his red spacesuit... and it looks like he's a guest star from another movie. :unsure

Has the society of 2010 been impacted at all by the discovery of intelligent life, off the Earth? Nah, nobody in 2010 seems to care. :rolleyes

The whole plot is mired in early Eighties cold war "brink of armageddon" nonsense... I know I know, Clarke's book is the same way. Well at least Clarke had the Chinese in there too to make the plot make a little more sense.

Anyway, the first film wasn't all about Clarke in the first place... it was a KUBRICK film, with lots of ideas and input from Clarke. But Kubrick threw more OUT than he used. You gotta edit that Clarke. :lol

Anyway, 2010... what a disappointment. :unsure

k

HELL no!

And I agree with everything PP says about 2010. I can't even think of it as a sequel, just a movie that used the same props and sets.

Actually to be perfectly fair, I think Clarke does say somewhere that his sequel novels all take place in "parallel universes" and are not to be literally taken to be direct sequels to 2001. The problem was that "reality" kept catching up to Clarke, rendering that awesome Man-In-Space future we were expecting in the Sixties... increasingly unlikely. So that's probably the reason that Peter Hyams' vision of "2010" seems far more "mundane" than Kubrick's vision of "2001".

Needless to say I am still bitter about having been cheated out of "my" future. :lol

:unsure Sigh.

k

The only time I fast forward is for the intermission....otherwise doing so is sacrilege....:)

One of the times I saw it, I was able to meet Prof. Marvin Minsky, who was on the set of 2001 as a technical consultant to Stanley Kubrick. Dr. Minsky is one of the pioneers in artificial intelligence, so he consulted in particular on the conceptualization and abilities of HAL.

I watch it in its entirety everytime, followed by 2010.

It bugs me that no one has come forward to make 2061 and 3001 into movies.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back