Danny Elfman - It's hard to believe...

love oingo boingo..but looking at the video he reminds me of a scrawny carrottop..scary looking..but he got briget fonda..yum

Robstyle--I agree that Elfman's potboiler scores tend to blur together, but he has done some great scores. Proof of Life is one example. Although highly undervalued it is original, darkly evocative and richly varied within a unified style. His score for Beetlejuice is another which stands out as perfectly on point yet very original.

I'm not much of a fan, to be honest. I can't stand any of his scores for Tim Burton; all except for Ed Wood, that is... hold on, he didn't do that one! :$

:)

C'Mon, people. The original Batman score was amazing at the time and really took the film to another level. Even if some of his scores are a bit repetative you have to at least give him Batman.

For all you true fans out there, here's a nice YouTube clip with a great video. Dig it! It'll always be a memory of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. :thumbsup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eStq-IvLaXk

So Ill be the first to say, hated oingo boingo and cant stand his film scores. Nothing against the guy, just think he is a one trick pony with film scores and all oingo boingo sounded the same to me.
Takes all kids though so im just on the other side of the fence, listening to the good music ;)

I'm with you on this one.

I always liked his work, and it doesn't seem to matter if you liked or disliked his work. He did, and is still doing what few have done. He is still going strong.

I really respected and appreciated his sound. His scores personified the 90s for me. Batman, Pee Wee, Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas... great stuff.

Round about the time of Planet of the Apes, he seemed to change his style, which on one hand is a good thing because it tended to get identifiably repetitive, but on the other hand, his newer style was far more bland and less hummable. (Does Spider-Man have a theme?)

There are so many commercials that have choirs of children singing ala Edward Scissorhands, it's almost a parody of itself, and a far overused texture in film music and advertising. I got a little bored with it after awhile.

But yeah, Batman was really awesome. (I believe his orchestrator/conductor Shirley Walker had a lot to do with it also.)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back