Paranormal Activity on DVD

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
No spoilers-

I saw there were not that many threads on this when it was in the theaters a few months ago. Maybe due to the limited release. It's out on DVD so maybe more people will see it.

I rented it Saturday night. I was up until Sunday morning! Well, I did go to sleep but I found myself opening my eyes every so often and just listening real hard. Looking at the various shadows in my room and halway, where Ironman stands. Yeah he's getting moved to the spare bedroom tonight.

I have read alot of comments from people on various review pages and the one thread that was here a few months ago. Most seemed positive toward the movie. I enjoyed it a lot, and jumped a lot. I have not done that since I was 10 years old!

What do those think who just saw it on DVD for the first time?

Yeah, I had the same reaction to the film. I'm not easy to spook, but that movie cost me a good night's sleep.

I know plenty of people who found it dull and pointless, but I found PA to be a terrifically suspenseful ghost story.

A couple of my friends hated it, but I liked it. I like ghost stories like that. It's real-world type stuff. The stuff that goes bump in the night that freaks people out and not a guy in makeup with the volume going from 0 to 10.

My only fear is the crappy sequels this will bring (you know there will be sequels) and all the rip offs of similar ghost stories.

Let me be the wet blanket.
Let me say, I didn't hate it, however I didn't like it. I am of the opinion that the build-up was so great I was severely let down by what some may consider the "pay-off". The GF and I just sat in the theater while the credits rolled and said, "Really? That was IT?"
I undertsand that the DVD has an alternate ending. I have to admit that has a certain appeal to it.

I just didnt care for it. It is one of those movies I could only watch once and never watch again

I think it was too much of a routine or cycle. It didnt offer anything new. Just same stuff over and over again.

Plus, they were a couple living together..Not once did they engage in any ummm affectionate behavior regarding the bedroom...

They seem to have a more brother and sister feeling..

Alternate ending sounds interesting, but i will wait until some-one youtubes it

The worst movie I saw in 2009 without a doubt. I'm a skeptic though, and find ghost movies frustrating. This movie made me think everyone else must be an idiot. Well, 90% of the theater was laughing and poking fun the whole movie, but there was one couple who were staring daggers at the rest of us as they left.

The alternate ending, like most movies, was not as good as the regular ending. Maybe it was more "realistic", but yeah that was not a better one. I watched it twice, once, the whole way thru and then I just fast forward thru certain times.

I don't know about ripoffs. This style of "found footage" film started off with the Blair witch project. We didn't realy see another movie like that until Cloverfield and then Diary of the Dead.

But for a 7 day shoot at a cost of $11,000.00 It was certainly more intertaining than some more recent dreck that Hollywood has shoveled upon us.

The worst movie I saw in 2009 without a doubt. I'm a skeptic though, and find ghost movies frustrating. This movie made me think everyone else must be an idiot. Well, 90% of the theater was laughing and poking fun the whole movie, but there was one couple who were staring daggers at the rest of us as they left.

The ones that were laughing were the ones that were scarred the most, just trying to hide it.:eek

Plus, they were a couple living together..Not once did they engage in any ummm affectionate behavior regarding the bedroom...

They sure 'nuff did. They even made a point of shutting off the camera during that part and turning it back on right afterwards.

Whatever one thinks of the film, Paranormal Activity is, strictly speaking, the most profitable film of all time.

Shot for just $15,000, by October 28 the film had grossed $65.1 million, making a 433,900 % return on the initial investment. It supplants The Blair Witch Project, which took a quarter of a billion dollars at the box office globally in 1999 off a production budget of $60,000. To date, the film has grossed $107.735,000 (not counting dvd sales).

I realize a film's box office is not always indicative of its artistic merit (for better or worse), but Paranormal Activity clearly struck a chord with general audiences hungry for suspense and burned out on over-the-top gore, hyperactive cutting, wall-to-wall FX, etc.

God knows I would love to have had the idea myself.

Most boring-*** movie of the last year. It was even less scary than an episode of Ghost Hunters. At least in Ghost Hunters, you get to watch Steve dare Tango to eat things, for money.

I'll never get people who think this stuff is real. If these types of discoveries were real, don't you think there'd be some big, breaking news anouncement? I mean, indisputable, scientific proof of an afterlife (or even some sort of Hell), has got to be pretty important - at least more important than how many bimbos Tiger tapped.

-Fred

LOVED IT! Spooked me good. Not just the "jumpers" as Fred calls them, which it did have a few, but the eerieness of the "activities" . They hit a homer as far as Im concerned. Typically the only thing that scares me is a possible remake of Episode 1 , 2 or 3.

I guesss I missed them talking about it.

I know he mentioned that it would be perfect for them to film it and she refused, but it didnt seem like they did anything.

That's when he turns off the camera, and - to your point - its rather anti-climatic.

And man that girl has a love affair with her bra...

I missed it in the theaters and it looks like I'm going to have rush right out and not rent this. If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and rent "500 Days of Summer" instead. Seriously.

You must not have seen Couples Retreat, Jennifer's Body, or Angels and Demons.

Consider yourself blessed.

I didn't see Couples Retreat.

I kind of enjoyed Jennifer's Body. Not the greatest horror movie by far, but an enjoyable enough guilty pleasure. At least it had a little something called story.

Now that I've seen Paranormal Stupidity, during which time I felt brain cells die, I may be up to the challenge of Angels and Demons.

Now that I've seen Paranormal Stupidity, during which time I felt brain cells die, I may be up to the challenge of Angels and Demons.

My friend, if your brain cells can withstand exposure to Jennifer's Body I submit they're impervious to stupidity. :lol

Good horror films frequently feature stupid people. Marion Crane was stupid for stealing the money. Ellen Ripley was stupid for going back for Jones. Reagan McNeil should never have messed around with that Ouija board.

Stupidity comes with the territory... but that doesn't makes the films these characters feature in any less frightening.

You're speaking to a man with some 1,000+ horror, fantasy, and science fiction titles in his movie collection ranging all across the spectrum of quality. Again, I must remind you, I am skeptical of ghost movies and often find them a frustrating movie experience. My favorite ghost films are often those that have some fun with the framework, rely heavily on special effects, or can be reinterpreted in such ways as mental anxiety or sexual frustration.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back