1:1 Avatar busts?...

darthwhitey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Can't help but think the characters from AVATAR would make some cool 1:1 busts?

Since they are aliens, they would lend themselves to a little more artistic expression and (I would guess) would be really fun to paint

thoughts?

brad

They'd be cool coz they'd also be a larger scale than normal human heads and in silicone with fantastic detailing and realistic eyes and punched hairs they'd be amazing!

Cyberman, you are right...I hadn't even thought how cool it would be to have them be a little bigger than a human bust, but that makes total sense

I wonder if those eyes could be found somewhere? I know there was a fellow member here awhile back that was offering his services to commission custom eyes. Not sure if eyes that big could be made, my guess in glass? How cool would those babies be!?...:thumbsup

I would think that all the painters out there (I'm not one!) would love a bust like this because of all the different variants that could be done. Regular, war paint, different head gear (didn't they wear something special while riding those lizard things?...not sure, I've only seen the film once!...:))

I guess the real star of the show is the female character, she would probably be my first choice...what say you guys?

brad

These would look fantastic if done well (those eyes!). But they would be really big, I mean really, really big. Since they were 10 or so feet tall would they not be ~1.6 times as big as a human? I remember watching the movie and being surprised at their size each time the Navi and a human were near one another.

Darthwhitey: I seem to remember at least some of them wearing "flying goggles" of sort, what appeared to be made of leather, insect wings and random things they found lying around.

Hey guys,

I would be happy to take commissions for these if anyone is willing. I don't know what the price would be at the moment but the more there are the cheaper each would be. I will work out a price for a single piece and post it here in a couple of days. I can also make acrylic eyes for them.

I have just finished a silicone zombie bust with punched hair and custom acrylic eyes I made. He can be seen in the work in progress page on my site along with a shot of the eyes I made for him. click the link below to see him

Pete

http://www.ptmodelmaking.moonfruit.com/#/work-in-progress/4517796450

Last edited:
well I would argue for a 1/2 size bust to be fair. that'll keep the cost a bit lower and mean more people could afford to buy.

http://www.schellstudio.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=172

take a look at this site. this guy did some of the avatar maquette design for the Na'vi. some super stuff there and the full figure study of net'yri is cracking piece of work.

thoughts?

hell, copy the pose of net'yri anyway. good pose, good facial expression and there's quite a reasonable amount of reference out there online of that character

loonitick: yeah, those flying goggles were killer!

xenochimp: let's talk about how a commission works, I've never been involved like anything like that...I'll shoot you a PM

that Zombie is really cool...getting the Na'vi eyes right is going to be key!

Lancer: I think you may be right, after seeing the film again, those aliens are HUGE...half size would probably be much more economical, and allow people to display multiple "versions" with different war paint, goggles, etc....?

Again, I don't know how all this works, but I think it could be a cool project if we could generate some interest...having just seen the film again, there sure are many different variants that could be done

Yea, I would definetly be interested in a half scale bust version, just cause I dont think I would have anywhere to display a full 1:1 scale lol but great idea, love to see what you guys come up with!

In theory they should be able to produce an exact licensed bust created right from the digital files.

But "they" always end up screwing it up one way or another, even with all that referance material.

It's the talented fans that always seem to pull off the good stuf.

I would be down for a 1/2 scale bust.

Here is a pic of one of the leather head dress's worn when flying wiht the lenses, very very cool, i'd love to see a replica made

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

Ok Guys for practical reasons the 1:2 size would be better. I will work out a price for a 1:2 scale bust unpainted resin with and without eyes. Also I'll work out a price for a silicone painted with eyes and get back to you all tomorow.

Pete

I still think that it would be better to have these full sized to bring the true scale of the Na'Vi into our living rooms and the skin textures would be amazing to see and touch :love

I think 1/2 life size, hollow cast would be perfect! Same size as the ones in the pic?

You could also put put in glass eyes from inside and also run fiber optics for the light-up freckles. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back