Buck Rogers Costume Patterns

OK, spent the entire day in the shop fabbing the vacform bucks from my boxes and making the mold boxes for the greeblies. I'll pour the RTV tomorrow morning and draft out the armband & holster pattern in CAD or PDF, probably the latter. The interest thread is posted here.

The spandex I ordered was jumbo white @ $14 a yard. If I recall correctly the info Gordon posted for the "ribbing" was a modified French pleat. We'll see...

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, spent the entire day in the shop fabbing the vacform bucks from my boxes and making the mold boxes for the greeblies. I'll pour the RTV tomorrow morning and draft out the armband & holster pattern in CAD or PDF, probably the latter. The interest thread is posted here.

The spandex I ordered was jumbo white @ $14 a yard. If I recall correctly the info Gordon posted for the "ribbing" was a modified French pleat. We'll see...

Cheers, I'm hopefully gonna see a seamstress friend of mine in a week or so, gonna pitch the idea to her

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, spandex came in. It looks a bit thin to me, but I'm not sure. The texture and color are good to go so we'll see once I start laying the pattern out...

Excellent news.....with regards to the thickness, could it be layered, ie double thickness? Can't wait to hear more :)

I haven't worked w/ spandex so I'm not sure if you can layer it, it seems as if it would move independently and look "wonky" if layered. I'm talking to another seamstress in a few hours to get her take on the project.

Wasn't the costume group the same that worked BSG?

I got the feeling from watching the show and DVDs that the ribbing is sewn in much the same way as pleats or darts are on military shirts, and that they were on the "inside," with another spandex layer between them and the actors' skin...if you know what I mean.

Agreed, sorta.
I spoke with the seamstress taking this project on, for about three hours yesterday; she believes that the sleeves are of a tuck type pattern, that is why we are seeing no seam lines on the outside and the "ribbing" is caused by the surplus fabric between the upper and lower layer of the spandex. The other obvious (but missed) observation was that the sleeves are not as tight as the pants, thereby allowing more flexibility with the straight sewn tucks.
The pants are a different monster however; according to her she believes the pants have lines of cording stitched to the under layer of spandex with the upper layer as a covering and that they were sewn as a tighter fit to show the ribbing. Thus the reason we see a more pronounced ribbing in the pants and we are getting the illusion that the ribbing is always straight, because it kinda is. The upper layer of spandex may be moving slightly as the actor/actress moves but it doesn' affect the lower layer with the stitched ribbing that's against the skin.

So, she starts the pattern tomorrow for my flightsuit. I will have a finished set by Jan 10th, just in time for a Con with Gil and Erin!!! As she puts it together I will provide updates as I can.

Yeh, I see what you mean about layering spandex. That's great to hear what the seamstress take on it all is...and fantastic that she's going ahead with it. I can't wait to read the updates on the pattern and that would be amazing to get your uniform done in time for that Con, what a great photo opportunity it'll be.

Looking forward to hearing more....:)

She's working a test piece (12" x 12") to ensure the idea on the ribbing is correct. One point she brought up; in the stills it looks as if there's an inch to inch and a half space between the "ribs", this is where some interesting sewing comes into play as not everyone is built the same so the spacing will vary for each person in order to make it "look" right. It is definitely more complicated than thought...

Work on the tunic and "cap" have started; organ pleats at .50" with the extra material cut away will be used for the sleeves.
The pants will have a 2 mm polyester cord w/ nylon core (used for blinds) as the underlying base for the ribbing seen through the upper layer of spandex, spaced .875" apart. Everything will be double layered, so consider this when/if ordering your spandex.
She got a later start than hoped so I won't have too many, if any WIP shots as I'm going out of town. But I expect finished product shots after the 12th.

To date
Spandex: $150
Muslin for pattern drafting: $20
Cording for pants: $40
R&D and numerous show stills printed and examined: unknown...

Sucess!!!
I'll post a couple pics. this evening from Alb. Comic Con, but for now, know that I think we've got it figured and a big thanks to Kezler for words of wisdom.
The final product was put together like this;
-8.5 yds of white jumbo spandex
-The tunic has a rolled lower hem, the "caplet" on the shoulders is hemmed with a rolled facing and is not double layered (none of the costume is) and tacked on the shoulders, sides of the chest and sides of the back. The inside of the tunic neckline also has a facing.
-The sleeves lines are tucked seams at 1" and a very, very tight seam (and yes you do get a nice set of lines on your arms for a while after you wear it :lol
-The pants seams were the same but sewn on the outside (good side) of the fabric at 1.25" apart.

Gil and Erin loved it, especially Erin. Her reaction as I handed her my helmet to sign, "Oh my god!" :eek They both talked about the show and really liked the helmet, Gil talked about his being special fit from a Bell. Very neat folks!

5364988985_287e11d8b9.jpg

BRsuit

Last edited:
That sounds 100% awesome -
I cannot wait to see the pics and so glad you nailed it to the point you impressed the stars. I've seen them a couple of times myself and they always seem pleasant and love the fans -
Congrats..!

Totally, totally awesome!!! It looks like you've just walked off the original set of the show. I bet you couldn't stop grinning :) Really great to see this project completed for you.....I really would love to own a replica suit one day.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back