So I thought I would get to watch DISTRICT 9 on Blue Ray tonight...

outlander

Sr Member
UPS delivered the BRDVD from Amazon.com today. I've never seen the movie so I was looking forward to finally getting to see what all the buzz is about.

Pop that sucker in, hit play, lean back and prepare to be amazed.

UNABLE TO READ BLUE RAY DISK

My screen tells me. Now, my relationship with my Sharp BRDVD player has been a somewhat challenging one since I purchased it four months ago but before I go off my rocker and castrate SHARP on the Amazon review page...has anyone else out there had difficulty with the DISTRICT 9BRDVD?

Last edited:
CTF -- is that a Dave Stevens drawing of Betty Paige as your avatar? If not, I was curious where it came from and who the artist is/was. Thanks!

Alan

UPS delivered the BRDVD from Amazon.com today. I've never seen the movie so I was looking forward to finally getting to see what all the buzz is about.

Pop that sucker in, hit play, lean back and prepare to be amazed.

UNABLE TO READ BLUE RAY DISK

My screen tells me. Now, my relationship with my Sharp BRDVD player has been a somewhat challenging one since I purchased it four months ago but before I go off my rocker and castrate SHARP on the Amazon review page...has anyone else out there had difficulty with the DISTRICT 9BRDVD?

Nope. It played right away on my PS3.

I didn't see this movie in the theater and all I can say is... WOW.

I posted my first review ever on Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------

The last straw has fallen and this camel's back is broken. Many times over the past five months I considered writing this review but was not frustrated enough[yet] to sit down and devote the time to do so.
First of all...SAVE YOURSELVES!!! While there is still time.
I bought the Sharp AQUOS BD-HP22U 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player on July 22nd 2009. I chose the Sharp because I bought a Sharp AQUOS LCD Television last April and I thought the benefits of the Smart-Link system [or whatever] would be worth it.
NOT. I say again. *_NOT!_*
The picture is wonderful, but that is probably because the AQUOS television is wonderful. The Sharp AQUOS BD-HP22U 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player is the slowest piece of electronic hardware I have ever owned. It takes forever to load/read the discs. It takes forever to start up into play mode. It takes forever to search and scan the movies. A harsh breeze knocks it out of play mode and into a hover/pause limbo unlike anything I have seen. More time wasted and lost.
Wait, did I say limbo? I meant purgatory.
Because just like purgatory, you CAN get out of it. It just takes freaking forever. Maybe you are actually being REINCARNATED because _most_ of the time you have to start all over from the beginning.
Many movies it had trouble playing. I had the most problems with WATCHMEN, INGLORIOUS BASTERDS and tonight, DISTRICT NINE which it would not play at all.
*UNABLE TO READ DISC* it kept telling me. Then: *DISK TRAY IS OPEN* as it spat out the offending virgin disc.
I took it out and then reinserted it.
*UNABLE TO READ DISC*.
I took it out, cleaned it, and then reinserted it.
*UNABLE TO READ DISC*.
I took it out, cleaned it again then took a vow of celibacy, [I really wanted to see that movie]. Just because I was without hope I then offered up the life of my first born child [two days before Christmas] if only it would play the movie. Then I reinserted the disc.
*UNABLE TO READ DISC.*
I took out the disc and then I took it out in this review. We haven't even touched upon my INGLORIOUS BASTERDS experience.
To recap: SAVE YOURSELF! SLOW. 5 MONTHS OF FRUSTRATION. *UNABLE TO READ DISC*.
I am *UNABLE TO RECOMMEND* this Sharp AQUOS BD-HP22U 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player to my worst enemy. Well, maybe to her. But everybody else should buy something else to play their Blue Rays. Maybe that company that invented the technology....
Tell your friends. SAVE YOURSELVES!
My AQUOS *Television* is REALLY very nice though.

I personaly have a Panasonic, never had a problem and I own and rent many Blurays.

Tried the Sony which sucked big time, took forever to load i returned it for the panasonic.

My top 3 choices in no particular order:

Pioneer
Panasonic
PS3

GFollano

My folks have a sony that works fine, just takes about 30 seconds to load the discs initially, and another for any REALLY extensive disc content, but its never given me a problem like this.

PS3 is pricey, but the way to go. I have had 0 problems at all playing anything on that system and movies load SUPER fast.

If it's newer discs that are having problems, did u check the firmware to make sure it's up to date? I'm not familiar with that BD player, but most have a network jack in the back so you can just plug in and it'll do the rest.

If it's newer discs that are having problems, did u check the firmware to make sure it's up to date? I'm not familiar with that BD player, but most have a network jack in the back so you can just plug in and it'll do the rest.

What Minder Thr33 said.

A very quick search on the google reveals :

From http://hometheaterreview.com/sharp-bd-hp22u-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

The USB port can be used for firmware updates, but it doesn't support MP3/JPEG playback. The BD-HP22U does not have any type of advanced control port, such as IR or RS-232.

And to make it as easy as possible for you, here is the link to the firmware update :

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/BluRayDisc/BDHP22U.aspx

This Firmware Update improves playback of BD music and movie discs. To insure your BD player operates smoothly with new studio releases and interactive features, check your BD player software version level in the BD player's setup menu to see if you have the latest software installed.
This update includes all previous fixes and improvements.
Version P29120100
**FOR U.S. PLAYERS ONLY**

It´s a real downer that the standards are changed almost weekly. We now have four DVD-players in our home, since the first one from ´99 won´t play a lot of newer DVD´s properly *sigh*, the newer ones won´t play DIVX-files with newer codecs (who needs the newest codecs anyway ?!). I tend to choose cheap players, since a unit for 50 US-$ works fine and I don´t lose too much money once it breaks down.

I hope this helps !

Last edited:
It´s a real downer that the standards are changed almost weekly. We now have four DVD-players in our home, since the first one from ´99 won´t play a lot of newer DVD´s properly *sigh*, the newer ones won´t play DIVX-files with newer codecs (who needs the newest codecs anyway ?!). I tend to choose cheap players, since a unit for 50 US-$ works fine and I don´t lose too much money once it breaks down.

I hope this helps !

Thanks, Naboo. I can't believe that I might need to update a player that I bought at the end of July or else it won't play the latest movies. They need to stop tweaking the standard and let good enough be good enough.

Less than five months after I bought it its programing is obsolete? Sheesh!

PS3 FTW!

It only does...
everything.

Anybody seeing this that works at Sony...you can PM me for my address to send the "shameless plug royalty check" to.

Tried to watch this last night on my Sony player and it would not load. My firmware was up to date. I did find that if I went to the chapter select instead of clicking "Play Movie" that it would start. But then we got about 40 minutes in and it started getting pixelated and locked up. I'm getting a replacement from Netflix tomorrow. Hopefully it was that disc and not my player.

I do not have this BRD yet but have had the same issue that required the firmware to be updated to play the disc. Yeah even if its new just out of the box you may need updated firmware. :(

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back